Bad Luck with cycling gloves. Suggestions? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Bad Luck with cycling gloves. Suggestions?

I have 3 pairs of cycling gloves. My heavy duty winter sugois, my full hand sugois and fingerless castellis. I do touring and distance cycling. I get numb hands on a dime without good padding.

The best gloves I've had were the castellis until they fell apart in two weeks (not an exaggeration, I had a similar experience with their bibs). The best and most durable were the full-hand sugois. But even those wore through in three months. I still use them, but there are no real palms left.

Who should I try next? Gloves are a very necessary piece if gear for me and I've yet to find a good reliable pair. I'm willing to pay some bucks for something that's at least going to make the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I dont have biking gloves but bought x country ski gloves made by Louis Garneau...really liked them and used them also for biking. Unfortunately lost one of the gloves while going to Elfin Lakes (in case anyone found it it was lost near Red Heather Hut...but i digress ).

I know Louis Garneau is mainly a bike product company so i imagine their biking gloves are really good.

Cheers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Have you tried these Cherry? Very durable gloves, I abuse them at work all the time.

http://www.mechanix.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

"I get numb hands on a dime without good padding."
I no longer wear gloves however I ride a different style of bike that is far more comfortable and pain free. To change bikes is substantilly more than the cost of gloves but worth it. I can't imagine going on a tour with the possibility of having any pain.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

If your hands are getting cold from the temperature, wind or evaporation, you might try a trick that a friend gave me years ago for ice climbing, where thinner gloves are an asset for dexterity. My friend gave me these two wrist bands made of fleece. They have velcro closures and a pocket big enough to hold a small chemical heat pack. You wear them so the heat pad is on your inside wrists, where all the blood is flowing through veins & arteries. The blood going to your fingers is pre-warmed. Ironically, I have never used them, even though they always reside in my winter pack, because I have really good circulation to my hands & feet, yet I have been told by users that they work. They are/were commercially produced, but they'd be simple to make at home.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

If your hands are getting cold from the temperature, wind or evaporation, you might try a trick that a friend gave me years ago for ice climbing, where thinner gloves are an asset for dexterity. My friend gave me these two wrist bands made of fleece. They have velcro closures and a pocket big enough to hold a small chemical heat pack. You wear them so the heat pad is on your inside wrists, where all the blood is flowing through veins & arteries. The blood going to your fingers is pre-warmed. Ironically, I have never used them, even though they always reside in my winter pack, because I have really good circulation to my hands & feet, yet I have been told by users that they work. They are/were commercially produced, but they'd be simple to make at home.
I believe in this case Numb is another word for nerve damage caused by vibration whilst holding the handlebars of a bicycle , not numb as in cold.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Home Depot CLC handyman gloves.

Full fingered, but lacking a snot wipe, but high quality synthetic suede. Whatever that means.

Best $10 I've ever spent, and on occasion I go to MEC and compare. The quality is the same if not better.

And the fit is excellent.

If you want, you can get the padded gel gloves.

As a plus, they don't have MECHANIX plastered all over them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

[quote]quote:Originally posted by brucew

Quote:
Originally posted by prother

I believe in this case Numb is another word for nerve damage caused by vibration whilst holding the handlebars of a bicycle , not numb as in cold.
Yeah, nerve numbness, I run really hot so chilliness is not a problem. I have ways of mitigating it but I'm just a person very prone to pressure related numbness. My leg goes numb if I sleep on it wrong, my feet go numb in kayaks etc. It's just something about my physiology, A bike change (recommended above) is not likely to help. I've ridden multiple versions of bikes and it's never changed.

So the consensus is that bike specific gloves are a bit of a waste and I should look at motorcycle or hardware gloves?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page