Swivel backpacks - MEC EOS 60L - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Swivel backpacks - MEC EOS 60L

Anyone have any experience with backpacks that swivel at the hip?

I've been looking at MEC's EOS backpack (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/...0-backpack.jsp)

I'm wondering if it's really a noticeable feature. My girlfriend recently bought the Aurora pack, which is the female version of the EOS. She had no idea that it had a swivel feature and didn't even notice it, but she said the pack was really comfortable with a heavy load.

The EOS 60 L is $50 off right now and I'm wondering if it's worth an investment. Is 2.2 kg considered heavy, light or somewhere in the middle, for this type of pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

My Dead-Bird Altra 75 weighs about 2200g. It has the swiveling hip-belt feature. For backpacking, I find it works very well. However, I did plan on using the pack for long distance ski touring/mountaineering, and found I couldn't ski for shit with it. I'm not adept at skiing with a big pack on to begin with, and the swiveling feature just seemed to make it worse.

For a 60L pack, 2200g is not super light, but not heavy either. Osprey sells a 58L pack that weighs 1200g, but I doubt it can carry a heavy load.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I have an Eos 60. I have only used it on two overnights so far, but I find it very comfortable. On one of those trips I intentionally overpacked, to see how it would do. It was very comfortable at the 35+ range.

The swivel feature is nice; it makes a difference when dealing with obstacles on the trail, but it's not a must have.

The pack itself is on the heavy side, I think, but you do get good comfort/support in exchange for that extra weight. Everyone feels that something is worth carrying extra weight for; the comfort of my pack is at the top of my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Hittin' the Trails

In terms of a more detailed review, the pack is great at transferring weight to hips, keeping you balanced with the swivel, and I like the roll top single access main pocket (water doesn't get in as easy). The outer pocket with a drain hole is a nice touch as are the multiple attachment points around the outside. The material seems strong, wins fights with trees, though after 2 trips I'm not confident yet

My two complaints are the weight and the hip-belt pockets. It is heavy for a 60L and my daypack has larger/more useful pockets. Neither of those are big problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I haven't had many "long" days on my EOS 60, but I definitely enjoy it on backcountry excursions. It may not be considered a super lightweight pack, but it's the lightest I've used. Much lighter and you start to sacrifice the comfort features and as I much I love counting grams, it's just not worth it. I use the pack mostly for cragging, it's excessive in that role, but it does showcase how well the hip belt works climbing over, under, and through boulder fields and more technical ascents. I find the swivelling belt improves balance and agility. All in all, I think it's a great pack. The biggest drawback for me is the single access for the main compartment, but if you pack smart it's not much of a problem.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

My Dead-Bird Altra 75 weighs about 2200g. It has the swiveling hip-belt feature. For backpacking, I find it works very well. However, I did plan on using the pack for long distance ski touring/mountaineering, and found I couldn't ski for shit with it. I'm not adept at skiing with a big pack on to begin with, and the swiveling feature just seemed to make it worse.

For a 60L pack, 2200g is not super light, but not heavy either. Osprey sells a 58L pack that weighs 1200g, but I doubt it can carry a heavy load.
johngenx: Have you tried cranking the stabilizer straps? I have an Arrakis 65 with the same hip-belt. You can adjust the amount of pivot/swivel on the fly depending on the activity or your personal preference just by pulling on the stabilizer straps. I find I keep it fairly loose for backpacking and tighten it much more for scrambling and skiing. With the straps pulled tight it's limited to almost no pivoting action.

Marko, I can't comment on MEC's product but having sold and used both of the related products from Arcteryx and Black Diamond I would say that they are generally appreciated by those who use them. They do require a bit more maintenance but that's well worth it in my opinion.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks so much for all the great input. I think I'll try it out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Summit Master

I have the BD Onyx 55 litre that pivots on the hip belt. I find it very noticeable. For the first five minutes after I put it on, it's WTF, then, when you get used to it, I find it very comfortable as the pack moves with you instead of swinging side to side. I didn't actually buy the pack for that feature and it probably increases the weight of the pack. I do find it carries a load a bit better than a non-swiveling pack but it certainly is not a deal breaker.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page