MEC Merlin DF bags and bag recommendation - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default MEC Merlin DF bags and bag recommendation

Bought myself one of the MEC Merlin DF -3 bags and was somewhat surprised to receive a letter from MEC saying the bags had issues and they've basically offered a rebate or full refund.

Some of the parts of the bags did not get enough down fill. You can tell pretty easily if you hold the bag up to the light. Mine had some significant gaps. MEC has basically re-rated the bag to +3. New DF -3's will be available later this summer and the -10 version not until into 2014.

So...I am planning to return mine and figured I'd ask the community for a recommendation on a new bag/sleep system. As far as sleeping goes, I am above average for sure in the warmth category. Hence why a -3 bag hit the sweet spot and seemed like it would be pretty versatile for me for spring and fall use.

My mat of choice 3 season is pretty warm - a Neoair X-Therm. I have a synthetic 0C bag for summer/coastal/wet use.

I'm looking for a down bag, 800+ fill. I've looked at WM, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Mont-bell etc and there seems to be plenty in the -7C to 0C but not much in-between.

So...recommendations? I'd like to begin to stretch my backpacking well into Oct or Nov down low.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

That's really too bad. My husband has had the Merlin -10 for a few years now, and he's very happy with it.
There aren't any WM bags for -3? Don't know where else to send you after that thorough list..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Uh... hiking? :P I love love love the outdoors. And I like shiny things. Been hiking, mostly solo, for over 20 years. You might assume that makes me antisocial. And you would be right *g* Climbed rock and ice and mountains for many years too...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

That's really too bad. My husband has had the Merlin -10 for a few years now, and he's very happy with it.
There aren't any WM bags for -3? Don't know where else to send you after that thorough list..
It's only the Merlin bags made in 2012 that are affected. It's a real shame because they were very popular bags. I love my older Merlin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by icevixen

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

It's only the Merlin bags made in 2012 that are affected. It's a real shame because they were very popular bags. I love my older Merlin.
Oh, yes, sorry, I got that. I was saying that it's too bad this year's Merlins are no good because it is such a good bag that lacking that issue, you'd probably be very happy with.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Brought home a Rab Alpine 400 (930g, 800 fill, -6 comfort limit) to try out. Think I may have found a good one...was 201 after tax 40% off as Rab has replaced the "Alpine" line with the "Neutrino" line.

If I end up keeping it I will post a review as soon as I've had it out a few times...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

I got the same letter for my -10 merlin. but mine seems to have been ok so far (been in -12c with it) I'll have to take a closer look for light gaps. looks like I get a rebate if I decide to keep it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 AM
Headed for the Mountains

feathered friends makes a great line of bags, made in Seattle. They have outsourced some of their clothing line, sleeping bags are still handmade in Washington.

http://featheredfriends.com/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by omegarun

feathered friends makes a great line of bags, made in Seattle. They have outsourced some of their clothing line, sleeping bags are still handmade in Washington.

http://featheredfriends.com/
Those look like great bags. Have to consider them next time - I'm very happy with the Rab bag I got based on price/weight/warmth/quality...but I've yet to field test it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

A friend of mine asked me for a light sleeping bag recommendation and I went to send a link to her for the Merlin bag. I was surprised when I saw on MEC's website that they were having issues.

They have changed the ratings of these bags on their website. The -3 has been changed to +3 and the -10 has been changed to -5. They said they marked down the price to fit this new change, though it seems a little more expensive than what I paid for my two old Merlins.

I own both a -3 and a -10. I've yet to use the -10. for late spring, summer and early fall, I have found the -3 to be more than sufficient. I've been extremely happy with its weight and compression. Hopefully MEC will fix this issue quickly.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

I'll join the club that has owned both Merlins Heard once from someone at the MEC returns counter that their corporate quality control program is based on returns...they will discontinue an item or supplier if sufficient number of customers are pissed off enough to bring them back!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Depending on the budget and how many nights you spend in your bag, I would strongly consider a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag. They are both "investment" bags that are superbly made and contain the highest quality down. Both are still hand made in the States too.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

OK, let's everybody buy a bunch of MEC yoga wear and return it all. Then maybe it will go away.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trail Talk

I'll join the club that has owned both Merlins Heard once from someone at the MEC returns counter that their corporate quality control program is based on returns...they will discontinue an item or supplier if sufficient number of customers are pissed off enough to bring them back!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

three companies come to the front for down bags
http://valandre.com/
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/
and feathered friends. they make water proof down bags that will not let you down, or keep you up. Two are made in USA the other in France with grey goose down. Anything else and you are settling, due to price or needs. Which is fine as long as you don't mind shivering while you sleep.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

I would heartily endorse my Canadian-made Taiga 800-fill Wild Cat; beautifully made and at a good price as far as these things go...an equal to Western Mountaineering IMHO.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Can't support Ekkehard Behrmann's business. He's been open in his support of hate literature, and though I think Taiga's been smarter about what they do, but the damage is done.

http://www.jewishindependent.ca/arch...2jan18-02.html

This is the bag of shit that Behrmann openly supported...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Co...8journalist%29

I'm all for freedom of speech. However, supporting one's right to express their beliefs is separate from supporting the content.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page