ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   MEC ballot criticized as undemocratic (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/44502-mec-ballot-criticized-undemocratic.html)

gum 03-21-2013 10:27 AM

MEC ballot criticized as undemocratic

Vote [u]NO</u> on the board endorsed Special Resolution 1, if you haven't already:

http://www.vancourier.com/news/Mount...181/story.html

burnabyhiker 03-21-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by gum

Vote [u]NO</u> on the board endorsed Special Resolution 1, if you haven't already:

http://www.vancourier.com/news/Mount...181/story.html
Agreed.

tricouni 03-21-2013 01:05 PM

I agree: the current board seems to feel that a democratic coop is too important a matter to be left to the members. Vote No.

willis 03-21-2013 06:48 PM

Done!

I have to say, I had a tough time picking three candidates. When reading their profiles I was left with the impression this is a group more interested in padding their corporate resumes.

Coastal 03-21-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by willis

Done!

I have to say, I had a tough time picking three candidates. When reading their profiles I was left with the impression this is a group more interested in padding their corporate resumes.
It's almost as if they had all been vetted by the incumbent board to ensure they wouldn't rock the boat.

troutbreath 03-21-2013 09:10 PM

Hard, real hard to pick. Next resolution from the Board will be to change the name to Mountain Equipment Corporation.

cjb 03-22-2013 09:35 AM

Also unimpressed with the swath of corporate Canada currently on display in the MEC Election candidate profiles.

Voted NO to Special Resolution 1, and encourage all active MEC members to do likewise.

Rachelo 03-22-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by troutbreath

Hard, real hard to pick. Next resolution from the Board will be to change the name to Mountain Equipment Corporation.
<s>Mountain</s>Trendy Equipment Corporation.

It's been a number of years now since they were focused on mountain equipment. The focus now is on whatever urban buyers think is cool to have and will spend piles of money on.

Matt 03-22-2013 12:34 PM

Not too long ago I was reading reading an article claiming that research had shown that people aren't smart enough to vote for what is best for them.

Osbos 03-22-2013 01:35 PM

I'm not impressed with the candidates either. My plan is to narrow the selection based on the wording in the statements.
First, I'm eliminating candidates who use the word "passion".
Second, I'm ruling out candidates who use a lot of management buzz words.

Last year I sent a few questions to each candidate and voted based on the replies. Not surprising, none of my choices was elected.

willis 03-22-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Osbos

First, I'm eliminating candidates who use the word "passion".
Second, I'm ruling out candidates who use a lot of management buzz words.

I was thinking the same for those that use the word avid.

prother 03-22-2013 04:45 PM

I'm voting on the resolutions, but not for the candidates. I don't see one that I want and I'll be writing MEC about my decision.

tinman610 03-22-2013 08:07 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. I voted for people NOT wearing suits and that actually had outdoor experience. that was a total of 2 candidates. We can only blame ourselves for not being involved and running ourselves.

Greg1920 03-23-2013 08:16 PM

Voted yes for resolution 1. It prevents a small group of members from getting resolutions to the ballot and them being passed by a generally apathetic membership.

I am also in favour of the board recomending candidates as it makes it easier to avoid electing agenda driven candidates. With the general apathy in these votes it likely wouldnt be that difficult to hijack the elections by a small minority.

I think that MEC is a business now and these proposals are for the benefit of the business.

willis 03-23-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Greg1920

Voted yes for resolution 1. It prevents a small group of members from getting resolutions to the ballot and them being passed by a generally apathetic membership.

I am also in favour of the board recomending candidates as it makes it easier to avoid electing agenda driven candidates. With the general apathy in these votes it likely wouldnt be that difficult to hijack the elections by a small minority.

I think that MEC is a business now and these proposals are for the benefit of the business.
Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't MEC always been a business?