ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   MEC ballot criticized as undemocratic (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/44502-mec-ballot-criticized-undemocratic.html)

Matt 03-25-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by brett

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Matt

Not too long ago I was reading reading an article claiming that research had shown that people aren't smart enough to vote for what is best for them.
Change your word "smart" to "informed" and I'll agree.
http://news.yahoo.com/people-arent-s...185601411.html

Coastal 03-25-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by willis

There is a statement of board nominee criteria which was adopted after it passed in 2012 by member resolution. It is no wonder then that the current board nominees are all corporate types because those are the only types that can be nominated.

http://www.mec.ca/media/Images/pdf/B...9831164450.pdf
I would be curious to know whether anyone was nominated but didn't make the ballot due to faling the vetting/approval process. It would be appropriate for a record to be published of any decisions rejecting nominees.

the743 03-25-2013 02:11 PM

I absolutely agree with you Coastal. That would be interesting and insightful.

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Coastal

Quote:

There is a statement of board nominee criteria which was adopted after it passed in 2012 by member resolution. It is no wonder then that the current board nominees are all corporate types because those are the only types that can be nominated.

I would be curious to know whether anyone was nominated but didn't make the ballot due to faling the vetting/approval process. It would be appropriate for a record to be published of any decisions rejecting nominees.

Greg1920 03-25-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by the743

When I went over the candidates, all I could think was [V]. It seems like their interests are not the representation of co-op values, but, instead, to use MEC as a bump for their future careers. The fact that some of them do outdoors activities is more of a conjunct than a core criterion that makes me want to spoil my ballot. I didn't spoil my ballot, but voted for the person who seemed to qualify the least for a business position.

I am repulsed that non-grassroots members can join the board of directors, as they will likely never meet the criteria to be selected to run for the board of directors.

I'm quite glad that other people have noticed this too. There's a grassroots campaign waiting to happen... It's just, how do we get it started?
What will the grass roots campaign be taking back. MEC is just a gear store now. It produces gear that the public buys.

willis 03-25-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Greg1920

Quote:

When I went over the candidates, all I could think was [V]. It seems like their interests are not the representation of co-op values, but, instead, to use MEC as a bump for their future careers. The fact that some of them do outdoors activities is more of a conjunct than a core criterion that makes me want to spoil my ballot. I didn't spoil my ballot, but voted for the person who seemed to qualify the least for a business position.

I am repulsed that non-grassroots members can join the board of directors, as they will likely never meet the criteria to be selected to run for the board of directors.

I'm quite glad that other people have noticed this too. There's a grassroots campaign waiting to happen... It's just, how do we get it started?
What will the grass roots campaign be taking back. MEC is just a gear store now. It produces gear that the public buys.
MEC is more than a gear store. That's a rather simplistic view of what the co-op does. It is involved in the community. For example, they have funded $15 000 to revitalize the Bridal trail. I know other shops have sponsored trails days but how many give out such high amounts of money?

A grass roots campaign can take the power out of the hands of the board that has seemingly managed to hand itself through member apathy. This is why the board wants 500 signatures for a resolution to move ahead, they want more power for themselves.

sgRant 03-25-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is exactly the sort of check on the sweeping powers of MEC's board that is essential for the health of democratic organizations. But there is no Rule requiring the board to disclose if there were candidates rejected. Someone rejected and also sufficiently motivated could file a member grievance, but there is no Rule compelling the board to disclose any such proceeding.

I know there was more to this year's nomination activities than is apparent to the members, but disclosure is up to the people involved, and I wasn't involved.

sgRant 03-25-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you need so badly to discuss whether MEC is a cooperative, why don't you open a separate topic for that? Rather than continue diverting the discussion of this year's election and resolutions.

Thanks

Coastal 03-25-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by sgRant

I know there was more to this year's nomination activities than is apparent to the members, but disclosure is up to the people involved, and I wasn't involved.

If you know anyone involved in a rejected nomination I would encourage you to encourage him or her to tell the story.

willis 03-25-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've sent the board this question and I will report back what I find out.

sgRant 03-25-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you know anyone involved in a rejected nomination I would encourage you to encourage him or her to tell the story.
So far as I know, nominee rejection was not part of it. There may also be failed nominations I don't know about. The immediate problem is the typical MEC information vacuum.

sgRant 03-25-2013 05:29 PM

Normally when a board proposes Rule changes, they post together both the original and the changed version of each and every change. I regard it as highly unusual that this board has not done so with their proposed special resolution #1.

As I pointed out earlier, there is at least one important change (new Rule 19.13) they have said nothing about. Using generalities to urge members to approve the changes while not hosting counter-arguments, not providing advance notice of changes before voting starts, and not fully disclosing every one of the changes, is either an intolerable level of incompetence or deliberate manipulation of the membership. Neither is acceptable. In my opinion, people who do this sort of thing should not be MEC directors.

willis 03-25-2013 06:01 PM

So, in total 7 people who put their names forward as nominees did not meet the new criteria.

This is from the MEC nomination process page:

The Nomination Process

The Call for Nominations commenced on July 4, 2012. Members interested in running in the 2013 Board of Directors election had to submit a Notice of Intention to Run to our Governance Office by September 4, 2012.

Those members who submitted a Notice of Intention to Run will undergo a screening process with our third-party external election consultant, Watson Inc., during September and October.

Following the screening process, the election consultant will provide a report to the EMCC. This report will outline the extent to which interested members exhibit the desired skills, experience, values, and other attributes outlined in the Nominee Criteria for 2013 (PDF). Using this information, the Board will then select members who are eligible to run in the 2013 Election.

In accordance with MEC's Rules of Co-operation, members will also need to obtain five membership nominations. The deadline for submitting nomination forms is October 24, 2012. Nomination forms, together with certain declaration forms, will be provided to eligible members following the Notice of Intention to Run deadline.

Greg1920 03-26-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you need so badly to discuss whether MEC is a cooperative, why don't you open a separate topic for that? Rather than continue diverting the discussion of this year's election and resolutions.

Thanks
Its quite related Mr thread police and if you note I made no mention of how it is being run in that post only that its a gear store and no grass roots campaign is required to make a gear store run more like a gear store.

Resolution number one is about concentrating powers in the board of directors and making it more difficult for members to change the direction. If MEC is just a gear store then this is a good thing, it allows qualified business people to run the business. If people want MEC to be more than a gear store then membership needs to change the direction of MEC and voting against this resolution would help. Although that ship sailed when the resolution was passed that the board could reject unqualified applicants from running for the board.

But the real fight is to get people to care about the direction it is headed whether you like where it is going or not. And I for one care about the direction of the store and like where it is going and so voted yes for resolution 1.

sgRant 03-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

So, in total 7 people who put their names forward as nominees did not meet the new criteria.
Thanks for getting this information. Hopefully some of these 7 will come forward with their stories.

Several circumstances would stand in the way. They just might not want to, or know how to do so. They may have been unsuitable candidates to begin with and knew it. There may have been non-disclosure agreements involved.

willis 03-26-2013 01:21 PM

I should've added that in addition to the 7 people who didn't fit the board criteria, 3 people dropped out (who may or may not have fit the criteria).

I hope resolution 1 fails so that a member resolution can be brought forth next year without 500 signatures so that any member who wishes to do so may run for the board.