New MEC in Langley - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ryanisnan

Just curious what everyone who is hating on MEC is on about? Who cares that they sell activewear or yoga pants or whatever they're called? Even if I buy your assumption that yoga pants are useless, MEC also sells a lot of really great, functional gear. If MEC only sold items that catered to the 'hardcore' side of outdoor folks, there'd be a lot fewer MECs for everyone to enjoy.

Good on MEC for being able to do their thing in another location. At least they're not selling Scooters and Snow blades, am I right?
Yeah I don't get the MEC hate. I love going there, I love the products I have bought there, and the prices are fine. I have bought most of my outdoor gear at MEC, and it's a strong, growing Canadian company that I like supporting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Rock climbing, hiking, trail running, snowshoeing, etc.

Quote:

Just curious what everyone who is hating on MEC is on about? Who cares that they sell activewear or yoga pants or whatever they're called? Even if I buy your assumption that yoga pants are useless, MEC also sells a lot of really great, functional gear. If MEC only sold items that catered to the 'hardcore' side of outdoor folks, there'd be a lot fewer MECs for everyone to enjoy.

Good on MEC for being able to do their thing in another location. At least they're not selling Scooters and Snow blades, am I right?
Yup!

As a rock climber who notices the difference in prices and probable profit margins of the climbing gear and gear for other backcountry activities vs. the prices and probable profit margins of yoga wear, "lifestyle" clothing and gear, etc., I am more than happy to have yuppies, posers, and wannabes subsidizing my hobby!
post #48 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:

Because by allowing the store to slip away from it's roots, you open the door to move from a good outdoors store with a couple of yoga items, to a good yoga store with a few outdoor items.

There is a limited amount of space in each store. Any amount that is used for yoga takes away pieces of actual outdoor gear that can be fit in the store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Headed for the Mountains

New store is nice. Definitely limited stock at the moment. I didn't see a climbing wall to test shoes. I hope they get one. Staff is attentive almost to a fault haha. Just new people jitters, I imagine.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Uh... hiking? :P I love love love the outdoors. And I like shiny things. Been hiking, mostly solo, for over 20 years. You might assume that makes me antisocial. And you would be right *g* Climbed rock and ice and mountains for many years too...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer
Because by allowing the store to slip away from it's roots, you open the door to move from a good outdoors store with a couple of yoga items, to a good yoga store with a few outdoor items.

There is a limited amount of space in each store. Any amount that is used for yoga takes away pieces of actual outdoor gear that can be fit in the store.
Which is exactly what many people said when MEC first started carrying paddling gear, and also when they started carrying cycling gear, and so on...
post #51 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

If you can't see the distinct difference between mountain biking / paddling and yoga, and how one of those cannot be called outdoor gear in any sense of the word, I can't help you.
post #52 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Uh... hiking? :P I love love love the outdoors. And I like shiny things. Been hiking, mostly solo, for over 20 years. You might assume that makes me antisocial. And you would be right *g* Climbed rock and ice and mountains for many years too...

Quote:

If you can't see the distinct difference between mountain biking / paddling and yoga, and how one of those cannot be called outdoor gear in any sense of the word, I can't help you.
I was speaking more to your point of 'allowing the store to slip away from its roots'. Years ago, when MEC opened its first non-western-Canada store, people said the same thing. Funny, I don't remember anyone complaining when MEC started carrying gear for indoor climbing.
post #53 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Summit Master

I honestly didn't know there was a difference between indoor and outdoor climbing gear.
post #54 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I think the role of MEC as I see it is to be a supplier of equipment that can't be sourced in the mass market. Car camping equipment can be bought as dozens of other stores including mass market retails like Canadian Tire. Yoga wear is done by Lululemon among other huge retailers.
post #55 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Summit Master

What John said
I really don't care much what they do or offer,
As long as other stores stay open to provide
Alternate choices,
I shop at MEC 3x annual average ,if they they don't offer
Or can't bring in, its easily bought somewhere
Else at equal decent pricing
post #56 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

I get the sentiment. The nice thing about MEC is that as a member, -you- have a say in how MEC is run. I always make sure I vote for board members who I think uphold my values. As for something like Yoga Pants competing for space over something else, I guess I haven't really run into that problem. Also, I think it's highly possible that the set of people who mountain bikes, climbs, paddles, hikes, etc... shares a large (enough) overlap with the set of people who do yoga, making something like MEC's decision in that regard make perfect sense.
post #57 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
I always make sure I vote for board members who I think uphold my values.
In the last couple of years, not only have members who do not share my values not run, but the current board has taken steps to ensure that they never will run in future either by hand-picking their successors to stand for election.
post #58 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

the current board has taken steps to ensure that they never will run in future either by hand-picking their successors to stand for election.
Yup.
post #59 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:

I honestly didn't know there was a difference between indoor and outdoor climbing gear.
MEC sells climbing holds and training gear. However, I think there's a clear difference between indoor climbing gear, and 'lifestyle' clothing. Unless you live in Squamish, indoor climbing practice makes difficult technical objectives a lot more achievable. I haven't any mountain men/women attribute their success to yoga.
post #60 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trick

Quote:

MEC sells climbing holds and training gear. However, I think there's a clear difference between indoor climbing gear, and 'lifestyle' clothing. Unless you live in Squamish, indoor climbing practice makes difficult technical objectives a lot more achievable. I haven't any mountain men/women attribute their success to yoga.
I don't think it would be outlandish claim to say that most of the top climbers in the world (whether it be rock/mountaineering/ice whatever) practice some form of yoga on a frequent basis.

It's not like they are going to rip out the shoe section, the water sport section and the climbing section and replace it with yoga pants. I have never once gone into MEC and thought "damn, all this yoga stuff is taking up space for climbing gear". Yoga wear, is comfortable, typically breaths well, and makes for good hiking clothing for women. It's pretty versatile.

Yoga is a definite complement to outdoor activities. It's not a replacement, and MEC is carrying the clothing/equipment for that. I don't see a problem with it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page