looking for a tough work headlamp - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default looking for a tough work headlamp

Can anyone recommend a tough headlamp that would be suitable for use in the construction trades? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it (say sub $30 - $40). It should be reasonably bright, highly impact resistant, and able to be put on a hardhat. I'm not coming up with a lot of good options so far in my search, so I figured I would ask the folks who wear them a lot. It's either that, or I head on over to the coal mining forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Headlamps have improved amazingly. Anything sold in a reputable outdoors store will be fine. (Even Crappy tire has a so-so one.)
There is nice jewelry out there, $200 more for a 5 gram weight savings type of thing, and of course there is junk for $9.99, but anything in the $30-$100 range should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

I just bought a three pack at cosco for ten bucks plus change and they are as bright as my $70.00 ones and lighter.
They also have three straps instead of two so they stay on your head or hardhat better.

Three head lamps for $10.00 how great is that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wildman

I just bought a three pack at cosco for ten bucks plus change and they are as bright as my $70.00 ones and lighter.
They also have three straps instead of two so they stay on your head or hardhat better.

Someone at work has one of those, and likes it. Only problem is that I'd need to buy a membership for 50.00.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bearbreeder

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rayo...adlight/992614

tough, cheap, they work ...
I just searched their website for headlamps and headlights, and it totally failed to display that model. Hmmmmm. Looks like a winner to me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JessieG

Quote:

Someone at work has one of those, and likes it. Only problem is that I'd need to buy a membership for 50.00.
Get the guy at work to buy them for you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Petzl also has their Pixa line of Work Headlamps which are certified for some hazardous environments if that is a requirement.

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/pixa/the-pixa-line

http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/pixa/durable-construction
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: snowboarding, photography, hiking, guitar

LED miners lamp?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hockey, rugby, soccer, hiking, backpacking, travelling

i work on the water, through the night usually and they give us these headlamps made by energizer(hardcase professional), best headlamp ive had, waterproof(salt), drop proof(easily withstands being dropped on steel decks) and brighter than any high priced black diamond, fits on hardhat, commercial quality. unfortunately i have no clue where you would buy them since the company issues these to us.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtntrekker

i work on the water, through the night usually and they give us these headlamps made by energizer(hardcase professional), best headlamp ive had, waterproof(salt), drop proof(easily withstands being dropped on steel decks) and brighter than any high priced black diamond, fits on hardhat, commercial quality. unfortunately i have no clue where you would buy them since the company issues these to us.
Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut5oFzLRGyM
If so, I wouldn't suggest buying from Amazon.ca for $80.99 when you can get it from Canadian Tire for $29.99

post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Andrew Strain

LED miners lamp?
Cheapest I know of is ~$85 through northwest mine supply. I can get you one through work for $110. Lasts at least 20ish hrs, and will be plenty bright enough and tough enough for anything. The battery is built in, so no need for a mine belt to hold a battery.

So no where near your budget, but very nice.

You would also need a hard hat w/ a cap lamp clip.

[image]http://www.explosion-proof-light.com/led-mining-lamps/KL45LM-Led-Miner-Cap-Lamp-with-Timer.jpg[/image]
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hockey, rugby, soccer, hiking, backpacking, travelling

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpatton

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtntrekker

Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut5oFzLRGyM
If so, I wouldn't suggest buying from Amazon.ca for $80.99 when you can get it from Canadian Tire for $29.99

thats the one, only i modify mine a bit by cutting the top strap off to fit more comfortably and take off the light cover to give it more of a beam of light
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Wildman, I am tempted to go buy the triple pack at Costco after recently misplacing my trusty Petzl.
Are the headlamps decent at all, or are they the best bang for your lowest buck?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page