Burn wood, charge your phone - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing
Default Burn wood, charge your phone

There's something intriguing about being able to charge an iPhone by using a wood fire. At a unique intersection of caveman and cybergeek, BioLite's CampStove promises to cook your food and charge your electronics — by burning stuff you find on the ground. It has been very much the, erm, hottest stove this year…but does it work?

http://www.adventure-journal.com/201...ite-campstove/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Summit Master

Cool item but with shipping and taxes/duty you are looking at $200.
Kind of pricey in my books.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

Cool but heavy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Summit Master

Found this , you can't charge your phone with it but the price is pretty good.
http://www.solostove.com/
Anyone have one of these ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

A friend of mine bought a bio lite, I have used it a few times and the charging feature works well. For a while, I noticed after a while the ash starts to clog the vents that are used to feed the fire. Boiling water on it wasn't the easiest thing to do I had to lift the pot off a few times to add more fuel, which increased the boil time significantly. Also all the fuel you use has to be a certain size other wise you can't place anything on the cooking surface.

The one real benefit I can think of is since it is a contained fire on an elevated surface, i beleive you could use it during a fire ban.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

Cool device!

I'm sure that some of the people affected by Sandy would've loved something like that.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spicytuna

Cool device!

I'm sure that some of the people affected by Sandy would've loved something like that.
I have a biolite and I love it. Biolite was out on the streets of NY last week, where they are based, helping to charge people's phones. They sell the campstove to fund their work in Africa, where they are developing/testing a home stove to help reduce toxic smoke in homes in developing countries.

About the home stove:
http://biolitestove.com/news-press/n...-interest.html

Here are some pics from facebook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...7578217&type=1
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Isn't it a bit of a pain to feed a tiny fire for two hours?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

A number of people have written reviews for this item.
From real world reviews it takes a great deal of time to charge devices. For paddling I think it would be handy as you have the extra space weight for such a item.

Personally myself I have a external battery pack that is minimal in size weight. And it can charge my iphone 4 from 5-10% to 75%. But realistically I don't like taking my iphone 4 because the thing is so freaking heavy.

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/comm...olite&start=25

It was really made to be used in third world countries and works very well for that purpose.
For camping, backpacking it is heavy and to charge items its a long process.
From what people say its annoying to feed the thing small wood for ?1-2-3 hours to charge your phone or device.
And one of the HUGE things to look at is the power output.....
As biolite has 2W max then peak 4W ? So what conditions are these ?

Quote:
quote:BioLite lists the USB power output as “Max continuous: 2W @5V, Peak: 4W @5V.” Here's what that meant during my tests: While boiling a pot of water and keeping the fire hot enough to power both the fan and the USB port (when the fire is low, the USB charger shuts off), my iPhone gained a percentage point of charging every couple minutes. So depending on how long you're willing to keep a fire going, you can reasonably charge your stuff.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by runningclouds

There's something intriguing about being able to charge an iPhone by using a wood fire. At a unique intersection of caveman and cybergeek, BioLite's CampStove promises to cook your food and charge your electronics — by burning stuff you find on the ground. It has been very much the, erm, hottest stove this year…but does it work?

http://www.adventure-journal.com/201...ite-campstove/
Quote:
quote:BioLite lists the USB power output as “Max continuous: 2W @5V, Peak: 4W @5V.” Here's what that meant during my tests: While boiling a pot of water and keeping the fire hot enough to power both the fan and the USB port (when the fire is low, the USB charger shuts off), my iPhone gained a percentage point of charging every couple minutes. So depending on how long you're willing to keep a fire going, you can reasonably charge your stuff.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Camshaft, I used mine to charge two gopro batteries (seperately) to full charge in about 40 minutes. While I do agree that it does take time, in certain situations it can come in quite handy. For me, having my gopro on a week long kayak trip was a great use for the stove (and to cook, obviously). It also goes in my emergency kit. It provides warmth and I am able to boil 3 cups of water in about 7 minutes.

I probably wouldn't use it for backpacking, though the weight isn't too bad compared to a regular stove and fuel for a week. It's only slightly bigger than a 1L water bottle.

It's not for everyone, or every situation, but it is good at what it does do.

Edit: Heh, I guess it was an hour for the gopro charge and not 40 minutes. And six minutes for four litres of water to boil. I did write a bunch of stuff down when I tested it. My comments are at the bottom of the link that camshaft posted.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Neat.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Snowboarding

I'm curious as to its water resistance (can it still be used after submersion?) and its performance in a sub-zero environment.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCBoy

I'm curious as to its water resistance (can it still be used after submersion?) and its performance in a sub-zero environment.
It's not submersible, but should be ok in light rain.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page