What products do you want see at MEC? - Page 6 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Rock climbing, hiking, trail running, snowshoeing, etc.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Why would anyone need anything shipped outside of Canada? It's in the states that you can get all the stuff we can't find here...
Look at REI's prices - regular prices, not sale prices - on climbing hardgoods. Now look at MEC's prices for the exact same items.

In how many cases does REI have the better price?

Repeat that with www.backcountry.com, www.backcountrygear.com, www.usoutdoorstore.com, www.moosejaw.com, www.mountaintools.com, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I would like to see(out of what they don't have a lot now);

1- more wide range of toe shielded aggressive tread trail running shoes. They seem to have a larger variation of soft toe cover and flat tread as well as regular running shoes.

2- mid sized waist sack for running. They now carry a good variation in small size waiste sack and larger sized water carrying back packs. I want to see 50-100% larger portable capacity than those small ones they have with many pockets.

Overall I feel they are very good in terms of diversity of items they carry and I enjoy visiting the store every time. I learn something new at each visit.

post #78 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Why would anyone need anything shipped outside of Canada? It's in the states that you can get all the stuff we can't find here...
I think it's less of an issue today with the strong Canadian dollar, but 10-12 years ago it was not uncommon to meet climbers from the US who would stop in Vancouver to load up on technical gear, taking advantage of MEC's cheaper prices in addition to the discount afforded by the weak Canadian dollar.

I can distinctly remember meeting ice climbers in Lillooet who had all the latest ice tools and the best ice screws, bought for 30-40% less than they would have spent at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trailrunner

I would like to see(out of what they don't have a lot now);

1- more wide range of toe shielded aggressive tread trail running shoes. They seem to have a larger variation of soft toe cover and flat tread as well as regular running shoes.

2- mid sized waist sack for running. They now carry a good variation in small size waiste sack and larger sized water carrying back packs. I want to see 50-100% larger portable capacity than those small ones they have with many pockets.

Overall I feel they are very good in terms of diversity of items they carry and I enjoy visiting the store every time. I learn something new at each visit.

I'd be delighted to see either of these. Maybe they could pioneer a waist sack design that doesn't end up around my nipples after a few feet of gravel.
post #80 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Off the Beaten Path

My only issue with shopping at MEC in the past has been finding stock of the size you're looking for, or a popular item that is sold out. I have often found they have extra large and small, but are sold out of the medium, for example. This is a short coming of not only MEC, but many retailers out there. They don't do a good enough job of keeping in stock what is really selling!
post #81 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Years ago they had paddling jackets that were inexpensive and functional. Then they brought in more elaborate designs and the price went up. I would like to see functional equipment for people who do things outdoors and do not care what fashion trends are currently running. Fibonacci at fault again I guess.
post #82 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brucew

Years ago they had paddling jackets that were inexpensive and functional. Then they brought in more elaborate designs and the price went up. I would like to see functional equipment for people who do things outdoors and do not care what fashion trends are currently running. Fibonacci at fault again I guess.
Agreed. I am always answering their surveys about where the logo should go on their clothing, what the colour should be, how stylish it should be etc.. I don't care as long as the garment is functional, but I think this is now a minority view.
post #83 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Gotta look good when sitting in the bar in Canmore...
post #84 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Scaling New Heights

They could start selling PLBs again. Now all they sell is the SPOT. I think this speaks volumes towards their new target market.
post #85 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

They carried PLBs within the last year. Have they definitely stopped selling them?

There are plenty of people on here who found the SPOT to work for their needs, even over a PLB. What do you think is said by carrying a SPOT over a PLB? I don't see clearly.
post #86 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:

They carried PLBs within the last year. Have they definitely stopped selling them?

There are plenty of people on here who found the SPOT to work for their needs, even over a PLB. What do you think is said by carrying a SPOT over a PLB? I don't see clearly.
Rachelo:

Everyone has there own opinions on this, and for me it comes down to the fact that I just can't see the SPOT as anything other than a gimmicky toy. IMO, devices that aren't dedicated lifesaving (or in general) tools usually have serious drawbacks, and SPOT is no exception.

I'm a bit curious about this comment though: "There are plenty of people on here who found the SPOT to work for their needs, even over a PLB" . Was there a specific example on here of the SPOT working and a PLB not working when SAR was needed? I'd love to know the specifics.
post #87 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Less people.
this is still the best answer
never seen the places so busy, and most of the stuff now is lower grade, generic stuff,
not going in as often as years ago, for sure..
seems many are in there for fashion purchases, not really backcountry folk..?
Guees its the modern demand
post #88 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Good News Bear

Quote:

Rachelo:
Everyone has there own opinions on this, and for me it comes down to the fact that I just can't see the SPOT as anything other than a gimmicky toy. IMO, devices that aren't dedicated lifesaving (or in general) tools usually have serious drawbacks, and SPOT is no exception.
I'm a bit curious about this comment though: "There are plenty of people on here who found the SPOT to work for their needs, even over a PLB" . Was there a specific example on here of the SPOT working and a PLB not working when SAR was needed? I'd love to know the specifics.
Why do you think that the SPOT is a gimmicky toy? As in, it has no value, or as in all the additional features are just gimmicky?
Sometimes a unitasker is best. sometimes getting an item that multitasks means giving up some features. sometimes it doesn't. There are a lot of things that can add features without losing anything but being heavier.
The SPOT has worked just fine for plenty of people to call SAR. Certainly not any better, but both seem to do a pretty reliable job of calling SAR when needed.
The reason some people find the SPOT better for their needs is that their needs are something more than just calling SAR. Both will do that just fine, though if you have particular atypical environmental needs, you might have to look more closely.
But for a lot of people, it's more than just a distress beacon. Plenty of people buy the SPOT because in addition to calling in SAR, they can press an okay button, and reassure their wife*. Some people who go solo buy the tracking package, so their wives can check in and follow their progress - and get concerned if they fail to move for a long time, even if they haven't pushed the button themselves (in case there's a reason they can't). I've heard someone say they use the customizable messages to say "going to be late, but all is fine", or "we've called in SAR, but it's not me" or something like that.
Sure, that may not be in everyone's needs, but there are a number of people who have chosen the ability to call SAR plus additional functions of the SPOT rather than the simple callout of the PLB.

*obviously other people have other friends/family members looking for their progress, but wife is the one I most often see listed as the concerned person at home, so it's the example I've used.
post #89 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Summit Master

A local company in the Kootenays did a study of SPOT for worker safety. 30% of their calls did not go through. They opted for PLB's. Friends of mine have had similar experiences in other parts of BC.
post #90 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

^Interesting. I don't speak to the transmission record of the SPOTs, as I haven't used them enough to have a good personal experience. I can certainly see an argument against them if the function is much lower - but that would be an independent issue, not due to the fact that it does other things as well.
That's one thing that concerns me about a PLB, actually - no way to test it. I think they are supposed to be on a better frequency which helps, but I dislike carrying something I just have to hope works when the time comes. It would be awesome if PLBs came with a test function in some way. Or are they any that do?
I was concerned recently taking out a satphone and noticing how bad the coverage was in certain places and off hours.
I definitely think you have to consider where and how you will be using an item, and make sure the selected product will work for that specifically.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page