Boots Falling Apart on the Trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default Boots Falling Apart on the Trail

WEll.

Say goodbye to a pair of safety boots, really comfortable I got them from the boot truck when it stopped by the company workplace of Molienergy in year 2000. Used them time and time again, went for a few trips beyond the coal mines of Tumbler Ridge in 2009.

But their life ended yesterday due to the rigours of Minnekhada park trail. There must be a string of material left behind along the way before I returned to the parking lot.

I wondered why I was loosing traction until I took them off.

Pictures tell it all.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Well, Karl, nobody but you and maybe Stu expects a pair of boots to last 12 years, lol. I say hurray for those boots that hung in with you through 10,000 miles of hiking[8D][}][:I][^]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flowing-Brook

Well, Karl, nobody but you and maybe Stu expects a pair of boots to last 12 years, lol. I say hurray for those boots that hung in with you through 10,000 miles of hiking[8D][}][:I][^]
Thanks Lyn... Another pair of boots packed it in as well, and another is just about toast. I still have the solid off-trail hunter boots, heavy but supportive.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, photography,

Are those steel toes?
You could do like the ranchers in Nebraska and nail them on the fenceposts near the farmhouse to keep the coyotes at bay. Supposedly they won't cross through where the rancher's shoes are. hmmmm

I say turn them into art in some way. Make a planter out of them, wait for more shoes and make a wind chime? (what a sound to soothe- shoes flapping in the breeze). Fill them with concrete and make bookends for your hiking book shelf. Get them bronzed, and nonchalantly drop them off at an MEC store and just walk away leaving them there; undetected. Management or staff would think they were a hiking boot sent by corporate of a hard hiker and display them somewhere in the store. Especially if you put a simple tag that says "display item" what a laugh that would be every time you shopped there to see your shoes. Then, if they ever close the store and they go up for auction, you could buy them back. Who knows? You might be outbidded and they could become a museum piece.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks Gerry LOL. You made my day.

They were safety boots intended for use in a battery manufacturing plant, where you needed really clean solid foot wear. When that work was done, they made great walking and sometimes hiking boots. They are now consigned to the junk heap.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

That's really awesome. Nice photos!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page