MEC Rental problems - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.
Default MEC Rental problems

I can't speak about all MEC rental shops, but in Edmonton, I think anyone renting gear needs to check their equipment very carefully. In the last little while, everyone that I know that has rented equipment has had problems. Two notable cases:

A new to AT skiing friend of mine rented a rig with boots and skis. The bindings were not sized to the boots and the DIN was set to minimum. He was assured that everything was ready to go, but I had to set it all up at the trailhead.

One of the adults on our family mountaineering trip this summer rented crampons. I told her to take her boots in and have them make sure the 'pons would fit. She did that, and put them on the counter when she picked up the crampons and asked that the crampons be fitted to her boots. The staffer dismissed her, stating that they would fit. Well, they didn't. Luckily, I was able to swap around with others in the group and she was still able to come climbing.

There have been tents missing parts and other gaffs.

Just a heads up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Scaling New Heights

Well, when renting crampons and ski touring stuff a 4 hour drive from the mountains from some one that probably doesn't even do the activity there's bound to be some errors in judgement.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

I have noticed people renting AT gear in Vancouver come with the bindings settings set invariably too low. They will start popping out of the bindings on first turns.

If you rent AT gear make sure you know how to adjust the DIN settings, I understand MEC staff will show you how to do it, they will just not do it for you. Maybe liability issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I know with tech bindings, they're not DIN, so a shop may not set the release value for you. I was under the impression that the Freerides are DIN certified, and can be set by shop techs. (I understand Onyx are now DIN...)

If they're not setting DIN, they could let the skier know. They didn't set the binding to fit his BSL, and they easily could have done that, as they were rental boots.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

when I bought my skis and dynafit bindings from mec, they mounted them but wouldn't set them. but they told me. I googled it and set them when I got home...

but the tent poles is pretty bad...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Headed for the Mountains

My guess the DIN is a liability issue. I've had to sign a waiver for the techs at the local Heli Ski operator to set my DIN higher than the standard for my weight. I agree that needs to be communicated. Then again someone going AT skiing should be a competent skier and aware of DIN settings.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page