Voile Tele Gear - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Voile Tele Gear

Hey, looking for someone who has purchased the Voile Vector BC's and has an opinion regarding their quality. Also would be interested in knowing what other brand of backcountry fishscale tele skis that people would recommend.

Thanks for any info,

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

There's a few reviews out there and they're all pretty consistent, and my experience agrees with them.

Bought them since I'm skiing a lot with my younger daughter now, and expected to do a lot of mellow bc, especially in Spring. I run them with G3 Onyx, not tele.

I like them well enough that I use them in resort as well as bc. They handle most terrain just fine.

Drag will test your patience on low-angle stuff. Light and short tails, so they shy away from hard cruft. Scales won't go up in steep or hard-packed or icy, but you'd carry skins and/or crampons for that anyway.

It's fun having fishscales on mellow routes in Spring, like around here Elfin Lakes or Keith's Hut or across any frozen lake.

I put about 35 days on them this past season, and they've held up pretty well. Repairing the fishscales with ptex was easier than expected. I lather on liquid wax on the scales regularly, they hold wax ok.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the info! I've been looking at them for a while and I think its about time I pick a pair up.

Did you find you like the larger width? I'm totally an 85mm underfoot kinda of ski lover so I hope I take to the extended width.

But this early rise tip an tail stuff.. I'm really not so sure about it. Im already back seat enough with voile 3 pins an scarpa t4's. Having soft early rise tail seems like it will compound the problem.

How did you adapt to the early rise?

Thats why I've been looking at the fish scale skis, so I can do traverses with ease over long mellow terrain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Well, the Vector BC are considered pretty narrow these days

Not much to adapt to with the early rise, they make it easier to stay out of the backseat.

They're fun skis, light and turns well enough.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I demo'd the Vector (non fish-scale version) and thought it a super nice ski. The early rise is very pronounced, and I found it skied quite a bit shorter than the measured length. I'd buy them a little longer than most other skis. They're light and go uphill very well, and turn nicely on the down.

I'm not a super strong skier, so I like forgiving skis, and these suited me nicely. They're on the narrow side for modern skis (yeah, 96 is the new skinny) but still floated well. They initiated turns easily, and were easy to control.

I didn't buy them as I preferred the G3 Manhattans, but the G3 skis are bigger, heavier, and more expensive. A different animal.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Saltfactory
Im already back seat enough with voile 3 pins an scarpa t4's. Having soft early rise tail seems like it will compound the problem.
No, it shouldn't. The aggressive early rise tip means you can really get over the skis without worrying about tip dive. Early rise skis have given me the confidence to ski more aggressively in powder and variable snow. The rise in the tails just mean quicker turns, not tail-gunning.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page