Lightweight Gear for West Coast Trail - Page 9 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

That is when I know it is yet again a time to rub an irritant on my leg, call search and rescue, and pretend to have a sprained ankle.
Nice!

It's an interesting point though. I gauge my mountain time by the "would I rather get on a helicopter right now" mindset. Most of the time I'm out, even if the travel is difficult, and the weather is awful, and I have a blister and a swollen calf, or whatever, I'm happy to be out there and prefer it to the alternative. I've only had a few times where things were sufficiently miserable that I just wanted to be gone and away, and thought "If only a helicopter would land right now, I would leave here and not think twice". I only consider things bad if I'm there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving

Barbara:
Just a few things for you. I'm 49 and am getting more lightweight, as I get older ! The best sleeping pad, hands down, is the Thermarest NeoAir. VERY compact; 2.5 inches thick and plush to sleep on; and the LIGHTEST pad out there. Unless you plan to winter camp on snow, you don't need the All-Season version, but at only a few grams more, it is more robust. Like most expensive ultra-light gear, you gotta take care of it. Both my NeoAir and my wife's never see the light of day outside the tent. They are unrolled and inflated IN the tent; and rolled up in the tent in the morning. Never had an issue with them for more than 3 years.

For sleeping bags, down is the way to go. Lasts forever; very light; and unbelievably compressible. My wife and I use the MontBell UL Super Spiral Downhugger #3 which is rated for 0C and only weighs 1lb 6oz. The main feature of the MontBell bag is it's ability to STRETCH, so you don't feel claustrophobic in it. Wifey just loves hers !

My two cents....

Andrew Klinzmann
post #123 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Older + Lighter = Happiness! Agreed that seems to be the trend with my cohorts as well. We are hitting the WCT in a week and our 70+ years old friend is like a kid again now that he has his pack under 35lbs. I shudder to recall the shoulder-bending weight we used to haul around...full-handle axes for Chr*st sake :-( Our last outing attracted comments from other groups on how light our packs were; while they were exhausted from a week of hiking we were still very fresh. Yet we lacked nothing essential...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Everyone -

When I first posted the original questions in this thread I thougth I'd be doing the West Coast Trail next year. As I was in Tofino a couple of weeks ago, I scored a permit, so hiked the WCT August 7-13. As some of you suggested, I did check out some of those great hikes around Tofino first, including Radar Beaches (loved it) and took a sea plane to Hot Springs Cove.

With respect to the gear for WCT, my overall comment would be that I was very happy with my gear (Hubba Hubba tent, Snowpeak GigaPower stove, Western Mountaineering sleeping bag), but carried too much FOOD. Starting on day 2 I gave away food so that I wouldn't have to carry it, so overestimated how many calories I would need. When a lot of that weight (think 10 pounds) was dropped after day 3, it was way more comfortable :-).

I'll be posting a WCT trip report on here in the next day our two, but below are some teaser photos. And thank you again everyone for all your gear feedback in this thread.

Barbara

En route to Vancouver Island - had the ACC Wheeler Hut all to myself for the night

Kayaking Barkley Sound

Radar Beaches and Radar Hill

Comber's Beach

West Coast Trail
post #125 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Scaling New Heights

I am glad to hear gave food away to other people,unlike the asshats that left theirs on the trail at the Port Renfrew side donkey engine.
post #126 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

They just left it there in the woods? Definitely not a good idea with animals. I ran into a fair bit of good luck on the trail and just as I was debating what to do with my extra food I ran into two guys who didn't have enough and were happy to take it. I had everything vacuum sealed which also seems to have made it popular, and other heavy items (like extra trail mix) were also accepted by other hikers.

For the record, usually I eat about 1,500 calories per day. For WCT I took 3,000 calories per day, but figured I ate about 2,400 calories per day. I found it very helpful to have three high energy snacks for each day (a sausage, Mars or snicker bar, and protein bar). Those were easy to put in my backpack's side pocket in the morninga nd then pull them out during the day without stopping.

(Edited for typos).
post #127 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Scaling New Heights

Yep,left right on the trail.

Three identical packages, with a mix of candy, trail mix, water sweeteners and food,
all within a few K.M. of the trail head.

However, I have no problem with the leaving of unwanted food in the bear bins, from which I scored big. Because of these freebees I did not manage to lighten my pack load for several days.

In fact I have a theory that one could slow/regular hike the west coast trail with zero supplies by relying on food left near trail heads, Chez Monique's and her left supplies bin, and the Nitnat ferryman!
post #128 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I think if you tried that you need some luck as well. We didn't spot any leftover food in lockers until our third night, which was at Walbran, but there was lots of food left in the lockers there. After that it should be easy: Chez Monique's (one guy we ran into even took a burger to go), Nitinat, and just beyond Nitinat is Edgar's on the Beach, which sells pancakes, beer, pop, and the like (I didn't check it out and others say the 'hours' there are erratic).

What surprised me was the 'comfort camping' on the reserve at km 29. This is new as of this season and there are five canvas tents, sleeping four people each. I hope it's not a sign of times to come and this will eventually allow people to do the WCT with a little day pack. It seemed 'commercialized' from km 30 to km 29.

Chez Monique's (km 44.5)

Nitinat (km 30)
($20 for crab | $25 for salmon)

Ditidaht Comfort Camping (km 29)

Edgar's on the Beach (km 29.5)
post #129 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Scaling New Heights

I did not know about Edgar's.

That just adds to my half-baked theory though - if you want to go light on this trail just take no food.
post #130 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

When do we get your promised (opinionated https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...ms=west,coast] or otherwise) trip report Barb?
post #131 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page