MEC Tents - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default MEC Tents

Got a note from MEC about their clearance items for the new year.

On Sale:

Tarn 2 $139
Camper 2 $119
Gemini $189
Wanderer 4 (w/vestibule) $249
Nimbus 5 $359

Apparently they're changing the colour scheme so they're getting rid of old stock. GOOD prices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Their new Volt tents look nice. Anyone want to speculate on them vs the HH etc? Certainly not a relative bargain tho..

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...olt-2-tent.jsp
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Summit Master

attractive pricing for sure, perhaps best for budget minded or newcomers, perhaps a good back up, or gift item for some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

The Volt tents are supposed to be an upgrade of the Gemini. The others are just the same tent but in different colours.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Clothing wise, there are some pretty good clearance items right now, if you can find the right size.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Rock climbing, hiking, trail running, snowshoeing, etc.

I don't think it's just a colour change. I am pretty sure that the tent body, fly, and pole sets will be different (lighter, etc.) materials, among other changes, too.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

The MEC staffers I talked to gave me the impression it was more about style than content. Colours become more or less popular over time.

Can't trim off too much weight from some of those tents without changing what they are used for. The Tarn 2 has a rep for being rugged more than lightweight, and is trying to strike a balance between being strong and not too heavy for backpacking. However the new Volt (replacing the Gemini - was 3 kg as I recall?) has certainly dropped a few grams, at 1.94 kg, which makes it less than the Hubba Hubba.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

The MEC staffers I talked to gave me the impression it was more about style than content. Colours become more or less popular over time.

Can't trim off too much weight from some of those tents without changing what they are used for. The Tarn 2 has a rep for being rugged more than lightweight, and is trying to strike a balance between being strong and not too heavy for backpacking. However the new Volt (replacing the Gemini - was 3 kg as I recall?) has certainly dropped a few grams, at 1.94 kg, which makes it less than the Hubba Hubba.
And more expensive than the HH. Of course, the new MSR Nook with fabric inner and a trail weight of just over 3 lbs for two people should appease the MSR fans.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FamilyGuy
And more expensive than the HH. Of course, the new MSR Nook with fabric inner and a trail weight of just over 3 lbs for two people should appease the MSR fans.
Yes. At this point, the Hubba Hubba becomes the new entry level tent sold by MEC. I'll have to find out the specs on the Nook - sounds interesting.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

does the new mec tent have a non-mesh full fabric inner? ... if so wouldnt that make it more like the HH HP?

post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bearbreeder

does the new mec tent have a non-mesh full fabric inner? ... if so wouldnt that make it more like the HH HP?

I don't believe so but your thought was the same as mine. Might be a huge winner for MEC (and for consumers).
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Headed for the Mountains

it might be full fabric david ... the pics do look like it as does the MEC description ... perhaps it could even be a 3 season+ tent like the HP? ... especially as i believe the HPs are hard to find now and they cost like $450 yankee new vs. $309 for this one ...

most interesting ... hmmmmm

We sent our popular Gemini ES to fitness camp. Now called the Volt 2, it's faster, lighter, sharper looking, and better outfitted. Yet it still delivers the living room and three-season solidity that made the original a hit. In your pack or strapped to your bike rack, it's barely noticeable. In camp, it's conspicuously spacious and comfortable.

One-piece pole set with a centre hub assembles quickly and easily.
Crossed-wedge design and upper crossed poles provide generous headroom and great stability.
Translucent fly, light coloured canopy, and fluoro-green floor keep the interior ambience upbeat even in dull weather.
Full fabric canopy keeps out windblown rain, sand, or snow out and keeps in warmth.
Twin vestibules, each with its own window, ensure you both have gear storage and a way out without waking your tent mate.
Pegs are upgraded to DAC J-stakes, with a V-cross section that holds better than needle or wire styles.
Guy lines are reflective and have glove-friendly tensioners.
Undyed canopy fabrics ands poles anodized without heavy metals reduce its environmental impact.

Weight
Seasons 3-season
Capacity 2-person
Canopy Fabric 20-denier nylon
Canopy Treatment Undyed
Floor Fabric 40-denier nylon
Floor Coating Polyethylene
Floor Waterproofness 10,000mm
Fly Fabric 33-denier nylon
Fly Coating Silicone and polyethylene
Fly Waterproofness 1500mm
Pole Type DAC Featherlite NSL 7001 T6 aluminum
Floor Length 2.1m
Floor Width 1.3m
Door(s) 2
Floor Area 2.8sq. m
Interior Peak Height 1m
Minimum Weight 1.94kg
Packed Size 54 cm x 18 cm x 18cm
Packed Weight 1.94kg
Pole Diameter 9mm
Vestibule Area (primary) 0.8sq. m
Vestibule Area (secondary) 0.8sq. m
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FamilyGuy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bearbreeder

I don't believe so but your thought was the same as mine. Might be a huge winner for MEC (and for consumers).
That came out wrong. I somehow read your post as a mesh inner not - non mesh inner. Clearly it is a fabric inner. My apologies Eric.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Mec first had the Nook @ $325 but now it is $399. All MSR tents have jumped about 20% up so the new MEC tents look like steals to me....
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Summit Master

You should still be able to find the odd HH HP in some Atmospheres. I never paid anywhere near $450 for mine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page