arcteryx getting a bit pricey? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default arcteryx getting a bit pricey?

Holly crap , 500 $$$ for a single layer shell? $1000 for a jacket, stuff isn't even light, Anyone buy this stuff? if you are that worried about getting wet why not just get a rubber jacket @ 3vets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

While I don't disagree that it's long since gotten pricey for the sake of the brand name, I'm still convinced that 75% of my Arc'teryx gear will outlast my other stuff by a significant enough margin to justify the cost. Your mileage may vary...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I agree the prices are out of this world...
But it seems they are targetting some market of consumers that have that cash to spend.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mrultralite

Holly crap , 500 $$$ for a single layer shell? $1000 for a jacket, stuff isn't even light, Anyone buy this stuff? if you are that worried about getting wet why not just get a rubber jacket @ 3vets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I like how they named the $1100 Ventii Jacket after a Starbucks drink.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

yuppies or sponsored athletes ...

im sure its good gear, the ones i have seem ok ... but no better or worse than my other gear at 1/2 the price or less ... except for the 3 dead bird harnesses i blew threw and returned to mec, went back to the cheap BD ones after that

if i want to spend money ... ill go to one of the westcomb sales ... most of their goods are made in vancouver .... unlike dead bird where they said on fbook that 30% were (which means that 70% are made somewhere else)

note that i am NOT against foreign made gear ... i just dont expect to pay $$$$$$$$$$ for outdoor gear made in developing countries when i can buy the equivalent or better product made locally for the same or less

personally i wouldnt buy it if i didnt find it at 50%+ off at the outlet ... and even then lately i dont buy it even at that price

on a side note ... is the ventii $1100 jacket made on canada? ... for that price i would think it should be ...

unfortunately their $300 alpha sv gloves arent ...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

yuppies indeed

when would a real mountain man/woman spend even $500 on an article of clothing.

$300 was way too much for me and that jacket is going to be with me until it falls into shreds on the trail as i hike.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Is it ok for other gear to cost $500 but not a jacket?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Is it ok for other gear to cost $500 but not a jacket?
That's what I always say
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Summit Master

Consider the story "The Emperor's new clothes" and you'll get the marketing picture. There are two ways you can go with price point to grab peoples attention; drastically down or drastically up. If it's drastically expensive then the psychology behind it dictates that surely it must be the best. The price point also covers your butt in the event of customer/warranty dissatisfaction and the garment is returned. Add to this some really good tech writer fluff and bingo you can sell at any price to the masses.

To be quite honest, all the garment Mfgs are getting pretty high-tech on the laminates but after that, a stitch is a stitch and a seam is a seam. Thye just happen to have some good tech writers. JMHO

Arcteryx manufactures overseas now, so I would like to see the unit base price and how much they pay their International labour prior to building in all of their overhead costs and margin. At a $1000.00 per garment, I'm definitely not comfortable supporting those ethics with respect to people earning a living wage.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Please note, i'm not knocking anyone who buys one, really hope they work out, and if they are that much better , kudos to Arcteryrx.
Hopefully the whole subject will be rendered obsolete by a new product that may be coming, NEVERWET , check it out.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmicheals

At a $1000.00 per garment, I'm definitely not comfortable supporting those ethics with respect to people earning a living wage.
That stuff is still made in Canada I believe. Mostly Softshells and fleece that have been pushed offshore.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

You could always spend $650 for a pair of Viberg City Hikers
http://fourhorsemen.ca/shop/4hs-viberg-city-hiker/

Or $150 for a faux-retro klettersack
http://fourhorsemen.ca/shop/klettersack-silver/

What's the difference between these and the Arcteryx stuff? The Arcteryx stuff is functional, too.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

or how about this $1300 goretex trenchcoat?

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

or you could buy a MEC (or many other brands) piece which is just as functional, cheaper, and has a same day money back warranty ...

course it doesnt look as cool when yr in those bars up in whister ...

post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Hittin' the Trails

It does seem to me that the vast majority of people who dislike Arc'teryx, criticize Arc'teryx, or question people who own Arc'teryx gear aren't able to afford it. I'm the sort of person that if I determine something to be 10% better than the alternatives, I'm not afraid to pay steeply for it. There are certainly cheaper products on the market for those that don't have enough money, or prefer to spend it in different ways. There are obviously some exceptions to the rule, but for the most part I find that Arc'teryx's gear is of higher quality (both in materials and workmanship), more durable and long lasting, and while this is completely subjective, fits me better than most other brands. Base functionality between say a MEC jacket or pair of pants and an Arc'teryx piece is the same but I'm sorry, you're deluded if you think that the MEC piece is just as good. It is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of people, but it's not as well made or as good. Why aren't there all sorts of these threads about how silly it is that Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends sleeping bags are twice as expensive as MEC's? Because you don't wear your WM or FF bags around. In my eyes it's envy, pure and simple.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page