arcteryx getting a bit pricey? - Page 10 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Couldn't wade through the whole thread but my quick 2 cents on Arcteryx is this.

1. Their customer service sucks. Trying to get a return call, even on a bulk order, is painful. For this reason alone our SAR group almost walked away from ever doing business with them.

2. I own a pair of their Theta AR pants and a Bora 80 pack. The pants are so well made, relatively compact and multifunctional that I smile every time I put them on. They have over 100 hard bush wacking days on them and still clean up almost new. The pack has yet to be fully tested but I am pretty confident I will be happy with it.

3. The retail price for Arcteryx is ridiculous. I am on the pro-plan and it barely makes the prices competitive with MHW and other brands I have had positive experiences with. Without the discount there is no way I could justify it. MHW is doing great stuff for great prices.

Finally, one more plug for the Theta pants....truly exceptional!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Brianrieta
Outside of Vancouver, the average person doesn't even know what the hell Arc'teryx is.
Three years ago, I spent a week walking around Manhattan just before Christmas and was surprised / shocked at how many people were wearing Arc'Teryx jackets. I've also noticed their clothing prominently displayed (i.e. a product placement deal) in more than one Hollywood movie and being worn by celebrities in magazines and on talk shows. I'd say their marketing department has been working pretty hard to make sure LOTS of people outside Vancouver know about them.

I'm happy with my various A'T jackets, sweaters, and packs, but I'd never have paid full retail price for them. It's all been bought at the factory sale over the years. I'm still using some retired "Rock Solid Manufacturing" quickdraws to hang stuff up in my gear closet.

I haven't read every post in this thread, so this may have been posted already:
http://notesfromtheneve.com/2012/01/...s-of-arcteryx/
post #138 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking and Mountain Biking

I like arcteryx because I find the jackets fit me well. I've got a soft shell and hard shell from them - both from the outlet, both a very good deal ($90 and $260)

When it comes to jackets I also like the fit from: RAB, Mountain Hardware, Montane (http://goo.gl/KvIdV).
I hate the fit from: montbell, patagonia, marmot, OR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Long but interesting discussion...well in this case you can have your cake and eat it too. I love arcteryx stuff but I've never paid full price for it other than touques or packs. You can get great deals (at prices in line with MEC brand) by:
1. Buying used. I tried on a theta ar today and liked it. Was in the outlet Store in north van for $340. Went home and found a 4 year old one on ebay for $135 and pulled the trigger.
2. Oulet store. Sizing selection can be spotty though.
3. Biannual tent sale. A crazy experience. Lines around the block but you will walk out with something.
4. Check the US retailers for sales. Backcountry, altrec, moosejaw...

Bottom line don't complain about the full retail price of Arc clothes only an idiot pays FULL price..
post #140 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Long but interesting discussion...well in this case you can have your cake and eat it too. I love arcteryx stuff but I've never paid full price for it other than touques or packs. You can get great deals (at prices in line with mec brand) by:
1. Buying used. I tried on a theta are today and liked it. Was in the outlet Store in north van for $340. Went home and found a 4 year old one on ebay for $135 and pulled the trigger.
2. Oulet store. Sizing selection can be spotty though.
3. Biannual tent sale. A crazy experience. Lines around the block but you will walk out with something.

Bottom line don't complain about the full retail price of Arc clothes only an idiot pays FULL price..
post #141 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by russianfront

US retailers (online too) won't ship ArcTeryx to Canada.
post #142 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

Quote:

No but for us out on the coast, they'll ship to Point Roberts
post #143 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

post #144 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Quote:

I'll probably feel guilty about this but I will let you in on a secret: a nexus card and a mailbox at TSB Shipping in point Roberts is how you can score your name brand outdoor gear at MEC prices. Since they never make you pay any tax at the border you are already 12% ahead.
post #145 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Quote:

I'll probably feel guilty about this but I will let you in on a secret: a nexus card and a mailbox at TSB Shipping in point Roberts is how you can score your name brand outdoor gear at MEC prices. Since they never make you pay any tax at the border you are already 12% ahead.
post #146 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Rock climbing, hiking, trail running, snowshoeing, etc.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's your secret for not getting dinged with taxes at the border???
post #147 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Quote:
quote:... Since they never make you pay any tax at the border you are already 12% ahead.
[/quote]

There is no secret. Border officers will never make you pay if you don't declare it. Same thing other people do with purchases from 202 warehouses. But if they want, they can make you pay. I think they worry about drugs and guns more then about carabiners or Scarpa boots.

Some go to Mt. Baker or Cascades in summer, pick up new rope, bag, backpack etc. and then come back next day.

BTW, you can't get 12% ahead already. WA tax is 8.4% for each item, sometimes you pay shipping to postal office and you pay fee of 2-3$ for each box.

I found MEC cheaper for some items, and if you add their warranty. However, I like to shop on-line for majority of my gear. Some items I have, are not available at our Co-op.

post #148 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

I understood it was a labor dispute, they are not collecting under 200$
post #149 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

In the last six months I have, on multiple occasions, declared as much as $400 in merchandise ordered online and picked up at the receiving service I use in Sumas (literally spending less than 10 minutes in the US), and the border agent hasn't even blinked while waving me through. As long as you don't have hard liquor or tobacco, they seem pretty lenient lately.
post #150 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Zoran

Quote:
quote:... Since they never make you pay any tax at the border you are already 12% ahead.
There is no secret. Border officers will never make you pay if you don't declare it.
[/quote]
You may pay the price of your integrity. I certainly admit it's a temptation though in the end though, it isn't any different than being a tax cheat, or a thief.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page