07 Subaru Forester 2.5X Good buy????? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Odd thing about my friend's Subaru , it has all the options , electronic gadgets , shows real-time fuel 'economy'. His vehicle actually is geared [ auto & semi-auto modes, however that works ?] and his fuel economy is substantially better when travelling around 95-105 kmh as opposed to 75-80 kmh.
Odd . Strictly a highway vehicle .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brucew
Symetrical AWD is not all wheel drive, it is one front and one opposing rear wheel drive.
My Forester has rear LSD, making it a "three wheel drive" which is not for off-roading, but damned awesome on shitty roads.
you guys are absolutely right. But there are no all wheel drive cars in north america anymore except for jeep wrangler rubicon option and jeep grand cherokee with the quadra drive II option.

The most you can get is 3 wheel drive. all suvs built now are actually 2 wheel drive.
about a dozen are 3 wheel drive such as fj cruiser, 4runner, forester and outback manual, and a few more.
I have a forester manual 3 wheel drive and i have never been stuck.

3 wheel drive is the best you can do these days unless you want to buy an early 90's land cruiser with front lockers.

also, 13,900 is over priced. it should be close to 12,000.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Really? all the other ones I've seen are like 17,000 or more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

Really? all the other ones I've seen are like 17,000 or more!
A 2007 Forester on a dealer's lot in the Edmonton area would be $18-22K.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Maybe you should look at this instead of the subaru.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=40626

post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

Depends what you want this for. If for general logging roads, it will be fine. But for any deeper cross ditches and stuff, look elsewhere, where you get good approach and departure angles.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Subaru STi with DCCD has three LSD units, and it can, in theory, power all four wheels at the same time. As noted, it's one of very few vehicles that, in some way, can do that. Of course, the STi is not for off-road use...
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

Sounds like a decent deal.

Fuel economy is always an issue with AWD but be thankful you don't have a turbo. Not only does that suck more gas but it sucks premium as well.

My Z06 with its 7.0L gets considerably better mileage than my Legacy GT with it's 2.5L!
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matin
you guys are absolutely right. But there are no all wheel drive cars in north america anymore except for jeep wrangler rubicon option and jeep grand cherokee with the quadra drive II option.

The most you can get is 3 wheel drive. all suvs built now are actually 2 wheel drive.
about a dozen are 3 wheel drive such as fj cruiser, 4runner, forester and outback manual, and a few more.
I have a forester manual 3 wheel drive and i have never been stuck.

3 wheel drive is the best you can do these days unless you want to buy an early 90's land cruiser with front lockers.

also, 13,900 is over priced. it should be close to 12,000.
Lots of people drive a lot of rough off road with open front and rear diffs. I don't think this is much of an issue for logging road use. I would be more concerned with the difference between classic 4wd and the subaru awd system (I don't really know how the awd is set up) and the approach/departure angles. Oh, and the lack of a low range gear. But this is only if you really care about really rough roads. The Forester can do a lot...
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

I sold my 1999 Forester, complete with its 330K + kms. I didn't have to give it away or donate it. So go for it!

Subarus are awesome. There is a slight gas mileage loss with a heavy, awesome car. If you practice not driving like an asshole, you will be fine in that department and you will look cooler than the dud (e?) in his tracker. Plus, Foresters come loaded with nice features that keep your ass warm and your coffee accessible.

Negotiate the price though. It's not made of gold, is it?

PS - what colour is the one your are gonna get?
post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Eryne

... with a heavy, awesome car.
Heavy? At ~3100-3200lbs, the Forester is light!! Okay, a Corolla is far less, but if you start looking at any SUV-kinda-thing, they are HEAVY! I've been considering the Pilot/Highlander size of vehicle, and these things start at 4200lbs and head to almost 5000lbs. Christ. I hate the idea of all those materials being used to make the the thing, and then down the road, how much ends up in a landfill.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I thought switching everything to unibody designs was supposed to make things lighter! Anyway, the extra drivetrain components have to weigh something, and nowadays there are airbags etc etc.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Heavy - as in he's not heavy, he's my brother!
post #29 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, backpacking, kayak, fishing, map making

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

I'm looking at one of these and would really appreciate any reviews,comments or advise
The more the better! It has a great review,but I'm interested in what our backcountry people think?? Thanks
Chris

ps it's $13,900.00 and it's auto. Sorta hiking gear right?? LOL
Ive found this to be a great site for checking price.

http://www.vmrcanada.com/canada_makes.htm
seems to be very accurate
post #30 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnbarber

Maybe you should look at this instead of the subaru.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=40626

If you are at all concerned with fuel consumption, this is not the vehicle for you...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page