your vote for best value 2 person slw/ulw tent - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Scaling New Heights

Ah; and the insults fly. I do apologize for questioning your math skills and perhaps my reading comprehension could use some brushing up but hey; all I'm saying is that the mentioned tent is one of the best bang for your buck tents. I'm sure that (canali) can make their own decisions without your passive aggressive comments.

And yes I would talk to a person like that if they were being a hard on! And again I'm sorry for being slightly childish in my comments but I wanted to call you out on your PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE behavior. No one likes it and if you don't have anything good to say; please keep it to yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

I looked in to seeking help immediately, however I don't fit the criteria therefore am not eligible

1.Ambiguity or speaking cryptically: a means of creating a feeling of insecurity in others or of disguising one's own insecurities.
Nope, i'm never cryptic but Cambium, you might want to check in to this.

2.Chronically being late and forgetting things: another way to exert control or to punish.
I am never late and rarely forget things.

3.Fear of competition
Not a huge fan of competitive sports but do enjoy it occasionally.

4.Fear of dependency
lol, not

5.Fear of intimacy as a means to act out anger: The passive–aggressive often cannot trust. Because of this, they guard themselves against becoming intimately attached to someone.
6.Making chaotic situations
7.Making excuses for non-performance in work teams
8.Obstructionism

9.Procrastination
yep...that's me

10.Sulking
11.Victimization response: instead of recognizing one's own weaknesses, tendency to blame others for own failures.

5-11 other than 9, nope, so....1 out of 11....what do I win?

You forgot to use the catch phrase of the month ...."bully", it's a pretty popular one these days.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FamilyGuy

John - I just weighed a 2011 Hubba Hubba with all stuff sacks, guyline, pegs, pole repair kit. It came to exactly 2041g on my digital scale. Some of the items aren't needed and the package could be reduced under 2000g. Not sure where the 2.4kg number came from on the HH - it is much lighter than the Camper.
The Camper is 2400g, not the HH.

My 2006-ish HH weighs 1900g with one stuff sack, three pegs and one guy. If yours is only 141g more with both stuffs, the pole repair, all guys and all pegs, then the newest one is lighter than mine. Nice.

I'd like to set up some of the Big Agnes tents and check for ability to get in and out in the rain without letting water into the tent. I know the SL series tents are near impossible to keep dry if you're in/out of the tent. Some of the newer ones are intriguing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

I'd like to set up some of the Big Agnes tents and check for ability to get in and out in the rain without letting water into the tent. I know the SL series tents are near impossible to keep dry if you're in/out of the tent. Some of the newer ones are intriguing.
That's the issue I've always had with their tents, but the Emerald Mountain and Copper Spur seem to have changed to dry entrances for slightly more weight. Never seen one up here, so no chance to check in person, but they look promising.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

I use a Tarn 2, (would like to upgrade but I've been tarping it for the past year mostly) so I'm getting a kick out of the replies relating to a Tarn 2. It is stupidly heavy for how small it is, but on the other hand it's held up to alot of stuff. And I can't complain about the fact that I picked up a near-new one for 80 bucks.

Oh woe, I am a starving student and someone should give me a good deal on a Hubba Hubba.

Am I doing it right?
post #36 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

I looked in to seeking help immediately, however I don't fit the criteria therefore am not eligible

1.Ambiguity or speaking cryptically: a means of creating a feeling of insecurity in others or of disguising one's own insecurities.
Nope, i'm never cryptic but Cambium, you might want to check in to this.

2.Chronically being late and forgetting things: another way to exert control or to punish.
I am never late and rarely forget things.

3.Fear of competition
Not a huge fan of competitive sports but do enjoy it occasionally.

4.Fear of dependency
lol, not

5.Fear of intimacy as a means to act out anger: The passive–aggressive often cannot trust. Because of this, they guard themselves against becoming intimately attached to someone.
6.Making chaotic situations
7.Making excuses for non-performance in work teams
8.Obstructionism

9.Procrastination
yep...that's me

10.Sulking
11.Victimization response: instead of recognizing one's own weaknesses, tendency to blame others for own failures.

5-11 other than 9, nope, so....1 out of 11....what do I win?

You forgot to use the catch phrase of the month ...."bully", it's a pretty popular one these days.
T2C were you using the DSM-IVR online or do you have one at work? The DSM_V is coming out soon. LOL

Ok so I can't really way in on this conversation because I'm considering doing just day trips from now on but I was fairly content with the Hubba Hubba. Weight factor is not so much of an issue for me. Easability and speed setting up in crapppy conditions, along with good weatherproofness and breathability is what I look for.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:

Quote:

John - I just weighed a 2011 Hubba Hubba with all stuff sacks, guyline, pegs, pole repair kit. It came to exactly 2041g on my digital scale. Some of the items aren't needed and the package could be reduced under 2000g. Not sure where the 2.4kg number came from on the HH - it is much lighter than the Camper.
The Camper is 2400g, not the HH.

My 2006-ish HH weighs 1900g with one stuff sack, three pegs and one guy. If yours is only 141g more with both stuffs, the pole repair, all guys and all pegs, then the newest one is lighter than mine. Nice.

The floor and fly on the new version seems thinner. Not sure on whether the thread count has been reduced with the new WP coating.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Quote:

That's the issue I've always had with their tents, but the Emerald Mountain and Copper Spur seem to have changed to dry entrances for slightly more weight. Never seen one up here, so no chance to check in person, but they look promising.
The Emerald Mountain was carried my MEC a couple of years ago. I had asked why they were no longer being carried and the comment was an issue with the hubbed poles.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

Quote:

The Emerald Mountain was carried my MEC a couple of years ago. I had asked why they were no longer being carried and the comment was an issue with the hubbed poles.
Interesting. I've only ever seen the Seedhouse SL and the UL version of it at my MEC.
I wonder what Big Agnes did wrong on their hubbed poles that everyone else is doing right..?

Quote:

The Tarn 2 is misnamed. It's actually a Tarn 1.5. An amorous young couple designed the tent.
I've been half of an amorous young couple in a Tarn 1.5, and it was only possible because I'm short and don't need to put my legs in the bottom. Perhaps it was midgets?
We're now very happy in the Hubba Hubba, and haven't felt the extra space to be any detriment..

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jd22

I use a Tarn 2, (would like to upgrade but I've been tarping it for the past year mostly) so I'm getting a kick out of the replies relating to a Tarn 2. It is stupidly heavy for how small it is, but on the other hand it's held up to alot of stuff. And I can't complain about the fact that I picked up a near-new one for 80 bucks.
As always, pick two of light, cheap, and durable.
The Tarn 2 is a kick-ass example of cheap and durable, but pays in weight. When you're starting out, it's often well worth it. If you have built up the money are are willing to pay more for less, you might have a different set of priorities.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

have to admit the REI quarter dome t2 now on sale from 300 to 200, seems to garner alot of praise too...sure it's vestibule space is 6.5 vs 9ish for the copper spur, and it's 3/4 lb heavier but for the price can't call that shabby.(vs buying hubba hubba or copper spur or other privately on sale etc)
http://www.rei.com/product/761893/re...r-dome-t2-tent
post #41 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Scaling New Heights

Canali,
What tent do you currently have? Is it still usable? I have a 12+ old Sierra Design Light Meter 2 tent which I just recently waterproofed again. Works great maybe your old one is fine as well?

I have been looking for a new ultra-light tent but I personally have been finding if I do not break the $500 range I wont really get my worth.

Recently picked up the REI Half-Dome Plus (I think) for $159 for a friend. She is enjoying it with her partner a lot and the tent weights in around 6.5lbs I believe.

The tents you have mentioned should do well for your kayaking and cycling needs.
I think for the price range you indicated pick what fits you best and has thumbs up from folks who have used it.

Enjoy!
PS I personally use tarp + bivy ... my partner has recently elected to try it out as well. Less weight to carry!!!
post #42 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

On another note, Peter, the volume within the HH is noticeably more than the Camper regardless of the measured footprint.
Very true - the C2 is really only for sleeping (or other horizontal activities). The ceiling is too low for anything else. On the other hand, the tent warms up faster in cold weather because of that, and because the walls have more solid areas and less mesh.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

well i'm now the new owner of a (new) Big Agnes Jack Rabbit sl2 for $160 shipping included, from ebay (reg $280 so a nice 42% discount).

'tis similar to the more pricey Copper Spur($400), which I really would have loved, but the rabbit tent is 1/2 lb heavier and doesn't share the same 'ultra' lightweight/high tech fabric/poles as does it's more 'refined' brother the copper spur (the jack rabbit is considered a superlight but not ultralight by big agnes)...and even on ebay a copper spur is about $100-125 more.

...nonetheless the jackrabbit sl2 has still garnered good reviews.
http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide...ent/gear/15640
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Tent

so to me i've got a good current model tent by a reputable company without breaking the bank.

now have to focus on a pad and cookset.

thanks to all for your ideas and helpful feedback.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page