Cheap tent vs expensive tent - what's the diff? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , vancouver island, Canada.
Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
quote:[i]Originally posted by keadyn[/i ]Add in the cheapest biggest tent you can buy at crapy tire

Get a 20x30 tarp and a spool of yellow rope from Rona. (on sale for the long weekend) and your set. Also pick up 2 queen airmattress and an electric pump. That setup has worked for years and years for me.





a / Crappy tire and other similar tents have the lousiest zippers , and are prone to 1st outing failure. Just like those lousy folding chairs rated for 200 lbs and break in cool weather with a child sitting in them .
Both are wasted resources [V]You see them stuffed in Park garbage cans everywhere every season.
Nothing like being kept awake @ night with no-see-ums and blackflies infiltrating your Achilles Heal zipper-break.


b/ looking at that picture , leaving out that green open barrell garbage can next to the table & near tent , in a tourist park , is asking for animal troubles.
cambium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Posts: 262
Default

It can depend on how picky you are.

I've had a $100 (with two free sleeping bags) McKinley tent for the past 10 years or so and it's worked fine on 8 day to month long backcountry trips, along with car camping and booze-fueled festival camps etc. The fly works reasonably well, although I usually pack a small tarp if I'm going to be gone for more than a couple nights and expect heavy alpine weather systems. It has a couple rips in it that are holding together fine with duct tape.

I think if you inspect a cheap tent to make sure it's not reallly poorly built, you can luck out with something pretty durable...the downside is, it will be a lot heavier than expensive tents (the frame poles weigh a lot). Show it lots of tenderness and it should keep you fairly comfortable for years.

If you need cleverly designed external storage flys and lightweight material with extra ports and vents and doohickeys, or something to keep you safe in high alpine conditions then look at the more expensive tents.
weegit is offline  
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Newton, bc, Canada.
Interest: Beer before hiking.
Posts: 300
Default

If you want to keep out no-see-ums (which drive me to drink) make sure the tent has good netting.
troutbreath is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.
Posts: 1,363
Default

Buy the cheap tent and save some money for the better quality sleeping pads , bags,and gear. You can always upgrade to a better tent after seeing what you really need in a cheaper tent.
brucew is offline  
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ladner, BC, Canada.
Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?
Posts: 1,207
Default

Cheap tent and a good tarp set up can go a long way. But don't worry too much about it...before you know it you will have several tents and be a gear ***** like the rest of us.
Happy camping!
Lupin is offline  
post #21 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , , .
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lupin

Cheap tent and a good tarp set up can go a long way. But don't worry too much about it...before you know it you will have several tents and be a gear ***** like the rest of us.
Happy camping!
I already am a gear ***** - I'm just diversifying my portfolio.
JessieG is offline  
post #22 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in da bush, alberta, Canada.
Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering
Posts: 1,073
Default

if you are an occasional camper,i would definitely go with a cheaper model.

i picked one up for maybe $50,bought some seam sealer $10 max,sealed up the inside seams well and the things works fine.

it all depends on yourself too...some people are picky and need this and that and it cant be over this weight..etc etc etc
nmcan84 is offline  
post #23 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: surrey, , Canada.
Posts: 694
Default

Canbium that plastic garbage container has a black garbage bag inside it. Which is great when making meals and the kids can throw all there garbage in. Tends to keep the site very clean and less shit is thrown in the fire and burnt. When we leave the site it's emptied or stored in the SUV. As well as, the coolers and food bins you see in the picture.

That's Manning park BTw and the deer will eat off your plate if you don't throw rocks at them when they enter your site. The Racoons are very bad at Golden Ears FYI and can open coolers with ease.

The point of the picture was to show the tarp covering the site. So the quality of the tent
is pointless when covered by a tarp.


Yah the zippers go first.

The zippers that are upside down T shaped work very well. The round ones go fast as they have so much tension on them when opening and closing. That tent in the picture is about 6 years old has zippers on both side. One is round and the other is a 2 piece T. The round zipper is done but the other zipper is fine. I have two outbond tents one is 17 years old the other is 16 years old. Had the zipper replaced for free on the larger tent. The small one the zipper is fine still.

If you treat you stuff with mild respect even the cheapest car camping stuff will last a few years.
keadyn is offline  
post #24 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , vancouver island, Canada.
Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by keadyn

[u]Canbium</u> that plastic garbage container has a black garbage bag inside it. Which is great when making meals and the kids can throw all there garbage in. Tends to keep the site very clean and less shit is thrown in the fire and burnt. When we leave the site it's emptied or stored in the SUV. As well as, the coolers and food bins you see in the picture.

That's Manning park BTw and the deer will eat off your plate if you don't throw rocks at them when they enter your site. The Racoons are very bad at Golden Ears FYI and can open coolers with ease.

The point of the picture was to show the tarp covering the site. So the quality of the tent
is pointless when covered by a tarp.


Yah the zippers go first.

The zippers that are upside down T shaped work very well. The round ones go fast as they have so much tension on them when opening and closing. That tent in the picture is about 6 years old has zippers on both side. One is round and the other is a 2 piece T. The round zipper is done but the other zipper is fine. I have two outbond tents one is 17 years old the other is 16 years old. Had the zipper replaced for free on the larger tent. The small one the zipper is fine still.

If you treat you stuff with mild respect even the cheapest car camping stuff will last a few years.


For the O.P that doesn't know the a.b.c.'s of tent selection , it is very reasonable to assume they haven't a clue about food-safety-security in Camps, anywhere and therefore your Picture must not be misconstrued as 'correct etiquette' to the unwitting.
Raccoons , squirrels , jays, mice , skunks , porcupines, Bears ,corvus ,there are many "swiper" animals put there[ courtesy of Mother Nature] that can ruin a camp for the owners and the next-to-them other campers.
Setting up for the O.P. a proper camp mindset can save everyone plenty of grief.
Mice also have a way of entering zipper-malfunctions [:0]

p.s. , I beleive this is the second time you have mispelled my user-name ... intentional or not ? Please put a " lid "on it .
cambium is offline  
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , , .
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cambium

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by keadyn

[u]Canbium</u> that plastic garbage container has a black garbage bag inside it. Which is great when making meals and the kids can throw all there garbage in. Tends to keep the site very clean and less shit is thrown in the fire and burnt. When we leave the site it's emptied or stored in the SUV. As well as, the coolers and food bins you see in the picture.

That's Manning park BTw and the deer will eat off your plate if you don't throw rocks at them when they enter your site. The Racoons are very bad at Golden Ears FYI and can open coolers with ease.

The point of the picture was to show the tarp covering the site. So the quality of the tent
is pointless when covered by a tarp.


Yah the zippers go first.

The zippers that are upside down T shaped work very well. The round ones go fast as they have so much tension on them when opening and closing. That tent in the picture is about 6 years old has zippers on both side. One is round and the other is a 2 piece T. The round zipper is done but the other zipper is fine. I have two outbond tents one is 17 years old the other is 16 years old. Had the zipper replaced for free on the larger tent. The small one the zipper is fine still.

If you treat you stuff with mild respect even the cheapest car camping stuff will last a few years.


For the O.P that doesn't know the a.b.c.'s of tent selection , it is very reasonable to assume they haven't a clue about food-safety-security in Camps, anywhere and therefore your Picture must not be misconstrued as 'correct etiquette' to the unwitting.
Raccoons , squirrels , jays, mice , skunks , porcupines, Bears ,corvus ,there are many "swiper" animals put there[ courtesy of Mother Nature] that can ruin a camp for the owners and the next-to-them other campers.
Setting up for the O.P. a proper camp mindset can save everyone plenty of grief.
Mice also have a way of entering zipper-malfunctions [:0]

p.s. , I beleive this is the second time you have mispelled my user-name ... intentional or not ? Please put a " lid "on it .
I thank you for your concern, cambium. Actually, I have some knowledge of food safety while camping. My SO will attest to my concern about leaving food anywhere near the tent, or campsite in general.

My knowledge of tents, however, is vague. But I'll learn about them, preferably by asking others. It's cheaper that way.
JessieG is offline  
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: , , .
Posts: 34
Default

Dude, as with anything in life, you get what you pay for.
trask is offline  
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada.
Posts: 171
Default

Weight
russianfront is offline  
post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada.
Posts: 171
Default

Weight
russianfront is offline  
post #29 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Langley, BC, Canada.
Interest: Too many to list.
Posts: 1,094
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trask

Dude, as with anything in life, you get what you pay for.
This isn't always true. The only attribute you can guarantee the most expensive solution to a problem has is that it is the most expensive solution.

The lifetime of a tent is probably a lot more related to how you care for it than how much you paid for it. Keeping the zippers clean, not heaving on the zippers, using a proper ground sheet, drying out properly after use, keeping the fabric clean, not stepping on it while setting up, etc.

With tents, more expensive gets you brand names, lighter materials, more complicated construction, and higher sensitivity to mistreatment.

That being said, for car camping I have an MEC Funhouse 6. I can stand up in it (I'm 6'5"), it has been through torrential thunderstorms on several occasions without a tarp overhead, and has never leaked a drop. It was like $599 or $699, I don't remember which, and regrettably it appears to have been discontinued.

I would start out cheap if you're just learning to use and care for outdoor gear. If you ever feel it's not good enough, and you're convinced the reason it wasn't good enough was because it didn't cost enough, then you can move up in price.

My MEC Funhouse tent was purchased because I could stand up in it (due to some bends in the aluminum poles that created a larger peak height area), size, and brand loyalty. I've also camped in Coleman and and Outbound tents and have found them to be completely satisfactory, and have seen many families camping in such tents and having a great time.
Matt is offline  
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: , AB, .
Posts: 481
Default

It depends what you want to use the tent for. For the past few years I've been camping with a mountaineering 4 season tent in the woods. It's pretty bomber in all conditions, but you don't need to spend $400 and up for a car camping tent. I just picked up a Mountain Hardware SuperMega Ultralight tent 2 person. I do plan to get some backpacking in as the tent only weighs two pounds and literally can fit in your pocket.
But you don't need that for car camping, for the most part I believe most gear that you can buy that is more expensive is better quality, but it's best to just look around.
Does anyone own any Mountain Hardware Tents, I've just been using a Marmot for the past few years.
Also I am a self proclaimed gear *****- so I only buy the best..
wildtrekker is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1