Comments on 2 man tents - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Comments on 2 man tents

Has anyone tried out the new 2 man MSR Hubba Hubba tent? I'm looking for a 2 man tent and my search has been narrowed down to the Big Agness Seedhouse and MEC Gemini 2 man tents.
The MSR Hubba Hubba tent is new on the market and I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to use it in the rain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Harold

Has anyone tried out the new 2 man MSR Hubba Hubba tent? I'm looking for a 2 man tent and my search has been narrowed down to the Big Agness Seedhouse and MEC Gemini 2 man tents.
The MSR Hubba Hubba tent is new on the market and I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to use it in the rain.

BZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTT! Well so much for that theory.

There are reviews dating back on this thing as far as 2005. There are alot of reviews on the google machine. And there are several users on here that seem to like them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

See the numerous tent reviews under 'gear'. Hubba Hubba has been popular for a while and has good reviews.

If you want to go for MEC tents, the Gemini, Camper 2, and the Wanderer 2 seem very close, except the Wanderer is heavier. The MEC prices are lower than the MSR lines for models with similar features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Perhaps he meant the new updated HH2 that came out this year? As T2C says though the HH2 has been around since 2005 and I believe I have a favourable review on the HH@ from that year. Overall a great tent except I've never much cared for the single cross-pole that holds up either side of the fly.
MSR is very good with their warranties though and when my 5 year old HH2 packed it in last year from a windstorm, MSR gave me an entirely new one shipped right to my door free of charge. I'd also take a look at the REI QuarterDome T2 plus which I now have. Similar weight but roomier.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Hubba Hubba has been tweaked along the way, but the concept is unchanged. Tough to find a better compromise of room to weight and weather resistance. The "stay dry entrances" are a must-have feature.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

The HH is far from new, and is very popular.
The MEC Gemini is a HH knockoff that came out two years after the HH first did.

While the seedhouse is nice and light, the way the fly/vestibule works has turned me off of it. When you open up the fly, there's no cover for the tent, and it will totally rain right in. that's not acceptable to me. If the stay-dry entrance doesn't matter to you, the seedhouse is a nice light simple 2-man tent, though on the smaller side of the three.

The Gemini and HH are very similar. The HH is lighter and smaller-packing, with noticably more headroom, and slightly better-overhanging vestibules. The Gemini is cheaper and much more stable with some extra ventilation.
Between those two, I think most people would be very happy with either, and it's a question of which part you value more.

Never planning to use it for snow, I found the HH plenty stable enough for me, the headroom is awesome (two people can play cards comfortably), and I was looking for light. I've been happy with my HH for 3 years now. But I think the Gemini is also quite nice.

I don't know whether price range or availability is part of your assessment, but the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 is the one I would consider over the seehouse, as it has the stay-dry entrance the seedhouse lacks (which is a must for me).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 03:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I first bought the Gemini and returned it to buy the Hubba Hubba. While the Gemini did seem more stable, I experienced issues with the hub joint. The Hubba Hubba also packs better and haven't had any issues with it so far.

But both of the tents I've had were older versions of the ones that are out now, so maybe they've changed.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

My HubbaHubba is great, I haven't had any issues with it at all. Good ventilation, never had a problem in the rain and I've never had an issue with that amout of space available in that tent and I have an 80+ lb Lab and another person in the tent. That being said I'm not a large person so I don't need that much space.

MSR has a bombproof warranty too. I like a company I can rely on.

If you like sleeping under the stars the mesh body is great for that. I've spent a few really wonderful nights enjoying the the Hubba without the fly.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 06:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I have both the Hubba and Hubba Hubba. I like that they're light, fast to set up, have vestibule(s) and are roomy. There is so little weight difference between them that I have taken the HH with me on trips where I'll be bunking on my own, just to have a palace.

What I don't like about either Hubba tent, is in windy conditions with driving rain, you will get misted inside. If it's driving snow, you can find a snowdrift inside in the morning (anyway, it's not 4th season by any stretch). Lastly, the lack of peak ventilation means condensation (or frost) builds up on the inner side of the fly and rains down when you move around, or wicks it's way into the interior.

If I could get MSR to tweak the Hubba tents, I would have them extend the fly a bit closer to the ground, Put in a rain brow vent at the top of the vestibule zips, with a two way zip, extend the vestibule poles and vestibule coverage outward a bit, making the vestibule entry more vertical, while increasing the usable space in the vestibule. These tweaks would likely increase the tents weight a little. To compensate for that they could use the new cuben cloth. The added expense of the cuben cloth could be offset by a large tent company marketing the use of light weight cuben, forcing all other tent making competitors to use the cloth... driving cloth prices down, due to increased production. A perfect solution!

I guess the final tweak would be to print on the inside of the fly the entire series of Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings. That way you could have a good read during weathered out, tent bound days. For Alaska, it could be Tolstoy.

Peter
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I haave never had a problem with misting, condensation, or blowing snow in my HH, but I would really support a slightly longer cross-pole for a more overhanging and larger vestibule. I could also see the value in a top vent, even if I have never had a problem with it
What I think would really help is aa guy-point on the upper part where it sags a little bit. I am concerned that in time as it loosens a bit that the fly will eventually touch the tent.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Snowboarding, Dirtbiking, Hiking and camping

I own a 2011 Hubba Hubba and like it so far, I also own a Big Agnes Emerald Mountain (discontinued now ?) and it is pretty close in all catagory's. The one thing I noticed about the MSR is lack of guyline hoops on the fly, but it does have one on the head and foot of the tent. The Emerald Mountain has more. The one thing about the MSR that would probably lead me to choose the Hubba Hubba over the Big Agnes is their warranty TOP NOTCH, I am even going to say possibly the best in the bizz. I have not dealt with Big Agnes yet, so I can not speak on their warranty's (perhaps someone else here has, and can give ther two cents)I had a VERY OLD and a VERY USED msr Fling that finally packed it in and sent it away to see what they might be able to do to fix it, they in turn sent me a new MSR Hubba Hubba, because they could not fix or replace the Fling. They had a new tent sent to me in a week from when I sent it out the door also were very polite and helping over the phone with NO HASSELS. A great new add on they have for the Hubba Hubba, is the add on vestibule (gear shed) http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/...r-shed/product for $150, at 1 lb 15 oz, adds 26ft. The Big Agnes Emerald Mt has one as well, this is great for when you really need more room. I also like some of the Sierra Designs two man tents http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-291-lightning-ht-2.aspx , I have one that is BOMBPROOF with a LIFETIME WARRANTY and it came with a ground sheet, gear loft and two cup holders. Good luck with the search for your new home away from home, let me know what you end up going with. Have a good one.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Also look into the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. It's more expensive than the HH but is lighter. (I believe it's still the lightest traditional style 2 door tent.) One of the best purchases I've ever made.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I have the Gemini Extended season. Its been though hell and is still like new.

and when its every man for him self or for soloing. I use this.
http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2011-moto1p-tent

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Spending time with my man, paddling and photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by secretsg

Also look into the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. It's more expensive than the HH but is lighter. (I believe it's still the lightest traditional style 2 door tent.) One of the best purchases I've ever made.
We bought the Copper Spur UL3 earlier this year and have now used it numerous times and love it. Highly recommend it. We have not ever had any condensation in it in all types of weather.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The new Minibus 23 from The North Face also is another option to consider. I've had it only a brief time but it is pretty nice and much roomier than the Roadrunner model that preceded it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page