Sleeping Bag liner / warm weather bag - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Sleeping Bag liner / warm weather bag

Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase a sleeping bag liner to add warmth to my +3C Spring bag and possibly as a stand-alone sleeping bag for warm summer weather.

The purchase is warranted because my 15 year old down bag is finally leaking and I currently cannot justify purchasing a new down winter sleeping bag. Two weeks ago I was camping in the snow at Birkenhead Lake - it was COLD but I brought along a thin fleece blanket bought at Superstore to warp my body inside the sleeping bag. It was warm enough.

I would like to know if silk liners would add the same warmth as the cheap $5 Superstore fleece blanket? It is a bit bulky, about the same size as two folded twin size bed sheets stacked together. I hope to have something smaller.

On a similar note, does anyone have experience with the following cotton liners?
http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/sle...-sleepers.html
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24

Thank you for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Summit Master

I use a thin silk liner and it adds heat and keeps the bag from getting cold and/or dirty. Well worth it and smaller/more packable/lighter than fleece liners
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Summit Master

I'm not sure if Marmot still makes them but my Marmot Driclime sleeping bag insert is the bomb. It's lwt and compresses into a bag the size and shape of a 1L nalgene. I often use it on it's own in the summer or as a liner in the winter.

Another option is the Integral Design's Primaliner . I also on it...great as a stand alone in the summer or a liner in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The Lifeventure is marketed more towards travellers. 100% cotton and has a bed bug coating that no alpine lover would ever need. The S2S Reactor's are awesome - not cotton, but hollowcore that traps much more heat than cotton. More $$ but I've heard great reviews from my employees. Another option is to get a reusable bivvy. This is what I have http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...hermal%20Bivvy
It kept me toasty in mid november w/0 a tent on the top of Golden Ears w/ only a -7 synthetic bag. They retail for around $40 so price is comparable to decent liners. Plus, it functions as part of your emergency kit too - much more practical than having a liner imho. Used on about half a dozen trips in the past couple seasons and wear&tear is fine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

LeeL: Which silk are you using? Does the manufacturer make any claims to the added warmth?
Hiker Boy: Thanks for the suggestions! I will check online.
Jeffweichel: I agree with your statement about the LifeVenture. I asked because it is on sale for $25. When you used the bivy did you not soak up your own sweat?

The reason for asking about silk or cotton liner like the S2S Reactor is because I have a Gortex bivy. In cold weather I hope to use the liner inside my Spring bag. In warm weather just the liner.

I am starting to think cotton like the S2S Reactor is what I may be aiming for.
Other suggestions and recommendations are welcomed!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I have an MEC silk liner. It is nice. I use it for cleanliness purposes though and not for warmth. Presumably it will add some warmth, but I wouldn't expect too much. Seems like not nearly warm enough for a summer bag on its own...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Summit Master

bcboy - like sweb I use the MEC silk liner. I don't know how much warmth it adds as I haven't measured empirically but when I'm just a tad chilled if I use it I will then be comfy. Guessing thats less then 5 deg C.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I found a cotton liner to be uncomfortable so I went with an overbag instead. If you are looking for extra warmth and something that can be used as a stand-alone bag in warm weather, this may be a good choice for you.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302865705

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

What do you have for sleeping mat? A change here to one with a higher R-value can add a lot of warmth overall as well and can extend the range of a lighter sleeping bag...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I can't imagine dealing with anything cotton in the backcountry. It soaks up so much weight in water and dries slowly. It would be fine in drier climates perhaps but I would think it as completely unsuitable for the coast. You might get away with it for 1 night, but by morning I'd expect it to be pretty damp in most situations, then good luck drying it out.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by splitboarder

I can't imagine dealing with anything cotton in the backcountry. It soaks up so much weight in water and dries slowly. It would be fine in drier climates perhaps but I would think it as completely unsuitable for the coast. You might get away with it for 1 night, but by morning I'd expect it to be pretty damp in most situations, then good luck drying it out.
I have to agree with this. Once the tent warms up a bit, I always find I'm starting to get too warm. If you start sweating at all, I would think you would not only kill the extra insulation value of the liner but also create a heat draining layer around you wherever the cotton is damp. You might be warm in front and freezing on your backside. And even in Alberta, cotton will take a good day hanging on a line to dry out completely. Feel like getting into a damp cotton sheet when you go to bed?

If you really want to add extra warmth, MEC sells a fleece bag liner, or external bag covers. Both add weight, so the better option is to just get a new sleeping bag. I use a 0° synthetic bag in summer and a -7° down bag in the fall and spring. No winter camping for me.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

A synthetic overbag will improve the performance of your down bag both by adding insulation (same as a liner) but also by moving the dew point out to the synthetic insulation so your down stays drier. Another alternative to add versatility to your system is to use a bivy bag. Not as warm as an overbag but it definitely is good for a few degrees extension to the temperature range.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thank you everyone for suggestions.
I note a few of you mentioned bivy bags. I already have a gortex bivy bag. Is there a particular bivy bag I should look into?

Someone mentioned the heat reflector. Got me thinking what if I used it to warp the outside of my sleeping bag? I should have tried this during my last trip.

I was also thinking of purchasing a cheap polyester blanket and sewing it together with velcro. Not sure how warm or how well it will wick away wetness but it can double as a throw over.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BCBoy88

Someone mentioned the heat reflector. Got me thinking what if I used it to warp the outside of my sleeping bag? I should have tried this during my last trip.
I'm not an expert on this but I think that the heat reflector isn't breathable so that would result in all of the moisture being caught in your bag which would be gross and limit it's effectiveness.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Heat reflectors are used inside the bag to act as a vapour barrier. http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier I've looked into the vapour barrier idea as well and I thought it was a decent idea because if you look at houses, they have the vapour barrier on the inside so the humidity inside the house won't saturate the insolation and so it can breathe to the outside. Some houses also have the Typar or Tyvek house wrap that is supposed to be waterproof, yet breatheable. You may think the bad thing is the vapour build up inside will eventually turn to liquid, but thats the whole point. Its so you can tell you are sweating and can adjust your exersion and clothing accordingly. Your sweat may make your skin wet, but your outside insulation will stay dry thus, keeping you warm. Im sure you could wear some kind of wicking under garment as well to add comfort against your skin but it will reduce the effectiveness of a vapour barrier.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page