ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   1 or 2 person tarp recommendations (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/36939-1-2-person-tarp-recommendations.html)

BCBoy88 03-04-2011 09:43 AM

1 or 2 person tarp recommendations

Hi folks!
As the subject states, what are some 1 or 2 person tarp recommendations?

I have a Kelty Noah 12x12' tarp and when stuffed becomes 20" taller with a 5.5" diameter. I believe it weights roughly 3lbs. It is taking much too much space in my 35L pack.

I am looking for a smaller tarp that will pack smaller, much smaller and I have noticed many selections at MEC yet alone browsing online.

What tarps do you use and would you recommend it?
Lighter weight is a bonus but my primary aiming is for a smaller package at a value cost. I bought the Kelty Noah for $50, serves GREAT for 3+ people and a dog but too big for single or two person use with a dog.

If you have the MEC Scout Tarp or the Silicone Scout Tarp please indicate the durability of the tarp and if you feel it is roomy for one or two with a dog :p

All replies are appreciated!

jd22 03-04-2011 09:52 AM

Lordy. A three pound tarp? That's ridonkulous.

I use the MEC scout tarp and I absolutely love it. So much. I've used it for perhaps, um, 40 bag nights or so and it was in my backpack/used for 3 months in East Africa and the Middle East (used about 10 times, but still!) and it still looks brand new.

The only potential drawback with the MEC scout tarp is the very centre point where there is a tie strap (or whatever those loops are called) is not waterproofed as the thing is stitched on. It's very easily fixable though with some seam sealer or SILNET stuff which is what I used. No leakies since then.

I used this this on a 2 week excursion in the Rockies as well as a couple of beach trips. Worked like a charm. I stuck the Integral Designs silshelter bug net underneath and that way I'm protected from crawlies and precipitation. Quite easy to pitch once you know what you're doing, but bring enough ropes for all 8 tie outs.

In terms of packability my scout tarp gets down to about the diameter of a CD (maybe slightly larger) and about 4-5cm thick (including the 4 ropes [4m each] I leave permanently attached)

The siltarp is twice as expensive for a slightly greater area (and name brand). I believe it's 10cm wider and 10cm longer than the MEC scout tarp.

And now on to your criteria... I have tried with two people plus two backpacks and it's pretty good, but depending how friendly you are with your dog, not sure. I seem to recall there being a bigger model of the tarp at MEC - might've been a heavier one though. It all depends on how you pitch it. I've had it good for two people with enough headroom to sit up comfortably. If you pitch it like a one walled house there's easily room for three but that only gives you solid protection from one angle. Anyway, give it a try and if you have any more questions let me know.

Oh, yes, I have found that over the first few hours of the night the tarp tends to sag a little bit. I usually tighten the guy outs before I go to bed and then I'm good. Seems all sil-tarps do this though.

edited for further reviewing goodness

edit edit: my siltarp geekiness is shameful

FamilyGuy 03-04-2011 10:00 AM

MEC sells the Integral Designs Siltarp 2, which is about 12oz. You do have to seam seal the ridgline but it comes with sealer. It will take you 10 minutes to do it.

I have a Hillebrg UL10 tarp which is 20oz, but bigger and the weight includes all spectra guylines with guyline runners (so easy to retension). It is also functionally more waterproof than silnylon with a 3000mm Hydrostatic Head. It also has a very high tear strength. Unfortunately it is also expensive.

weedWhacker 03-04-2011 10:04 AM

I carry the 8' x 10' MEC scout tarp in my emergency kit. It is about the size and weight of a grapefruit after compressing it. I have had it for a few years and it looks like new. At my level of use it probably has a ten-year lifetime.

We use it as a cooking shelter when camping, especially kayak-camping. I have never tried sleeping under it - I hate bugs and spindrift in equal measure. I bought it after my last bivy (Wedge, 8000' level, August, snowing) and haven't had to test its emergency properties. It is bound to better than space blankets though.

Hiker Boy 03-04-2011 10:39 AM

I also Have the Kelty Noah Tarp. I actually have two sizes of it, the 9' and the 12'. They are best suited for car camping however I have used it on backpacking trips on occasion. The wing design is great for windy conditions.

https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/292000/292818.jpg

For most backpacking trips I generally use an Integral Designs Siltarp. I'd recommend a Siltarp 2 for more than one person.

https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/292000/292819.jpg

tu 03-04-2011 12:36 PM

Here's a photo of a MEC Silicone Scout Tarp, to give you some indication of size:

https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/284000/284511.jpg

Might be a bit tight for two plus dog, depending on the dog.

I do wish it had more tie-out options, rather than just eight (four at corners and four middle sides).

BCBoy88 03-05-2011 12:40 AM

Wow! Sounds like the MEC Scout Tarp is a good choice.
I am curious how much smaller the Silicone version packs?
Sadly when I had visited MEC on Tuesday all the MEC Scout a Guide (the larger version) were sold out so I was not able to see for myself how it looked and felt. Thank you for the photos.

I guess shaving 1.5lbs would be nice but I really want to pack smaller - my Gortex bivy is pretty big but I am not willing to use any other material.

darrenbell 03-05-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by BCBoy88

I guess shaving 1.5lbs would be nice but I really want to pack smaller - my Gortex bivy is pretty big but I am not willing to use any other material.

You could just buy a small compression sack instead of another tarp!

tu 03-05-2011 09:56 AM

Comparing in the store, I didn't notice significant packing size differences between the MEC Scout Tarps.

The silnylon one is a bit lighter, but I selected it over the poly one primarily because it's 'cleaner', i.e., with its slippery surface, it's very easy to wipe off dirt, mud, leaves and branches when packing it away.

But it's less waterproof - you do need to pitch it tight (and re-tighten every so often) at a steeper pitch with no flat spots, to ensure water rolls off and not seep through. It's not good for ground sheets or wrapping packs or equipment to keep things dry.

Monster 03-05-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by tu

https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/284000/284511.jpg

Might be a bit tight for two plus dog, depending on the dog.
Oh that looks real cozy [B)]

Here's two words for ya... Puerto Vallarta!

weedWhacker 03-05-2011 12:53 PM

I don't think the sil tarp or the MEC scout tarps are very wear-resistant. Both are made by coating a fine-woven fabric with a silicone water-repellant layer. I think that layer is easily abraded, and I think the tarp will leak afterward. I have never used mine as a ground sheet.

Voostra 03-05-2011 09:52 PM

Don't actually own commercially made siltarps - I made myself several instead (bought the fabric online from Noah Lamport, cost is about 3$ per square metre + a little bit for the trimmings). I have one nice hexagonal catenary cut one (like a silwing) that is about 3 metres long and 2 metres wide (fits over a hammock), and another larger square one ( 4 x 3 m). I haven't had any problems with durability, and I've used them a fair amount as sun shelters, windblocks and tarps in heavy downpour. They do certainly pack down very small, The little once fits in a stuffsack that is about 10 x 5 x 15 cm, and the larger one maybe 10 x 7 x 20 - though really more like an egg with those dimensions. That is with me just stuffing them into a stuffsack. If I cram it up into the end of a kayak, or down into a backpack or stuffsack, I can get them 2/3 or maybe even 1/2 that size. Couldn't tell you weightwise - though I think the tieout cords weight more than the tarp fabric.... Lighter than the 'normal' scout tarp I had, per area. The scout tarp was fine for 2 people, I imagine it would be fine for 2 people plus dog.

It isn't just a silicone coating - the fabric is essentially soaked in silicone.

It is true that you have to retension them a bit once they get wet, but even when I've done a bad setup and had big pools, I haven't had problems with it soaking through in those places. I've never used the material as a groundsheet, but I've read of other people who have - the major complaint seems to be that it is very slippery and you need to pitch on very flat surfaces or you slip around - haven't heard complains of leakthrough. The fabric is sold (where I bought it anyways) as zero-porosity, and used for braking parachutes on racecard and stuff, and in making the little stuffsacks for the tarps out of it, I deliberately left the seams unsealed (on the bag), otherwise they would get hard to stuff in because of the trapped air - so I imagine they probably are pretty waterproof. They are nice in that they barely soak up any water - just shake them a few times while pitched, everything beads up and rolls off - then stuff it up and good to go.

Rachelo 03-05-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by tu

Comparing in the store, I didn't notice significant packing size differences between the MEC Scout Tarps.
The bags for the MEC siltarps are huge. I can pack my guide tarp into less than half the space the bag gives. I think it's misleading because the bag is about the right size for the larger tarps, but the siltarps can be packed far smaller than they are.

tu 03-05-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

The bags for the MEC siltarps are huge. I can pack my guide tarp into less than half the space the bag gives. I think it's misleading because the bag is about the right size for the larger tarps, but the siltarps can be packed far smaller than they are.
I didn't compare the bags, I took them out of the bag.

ChuckLW 03-06-2011 11:40 PM

Pretty much all of the MEC and SD tarps are reviewed here:
https://www.clubtread.com/Gear/Produc...aspx?GroupID=8

FamilyGuy 03-07-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by weedWhacker

I don't think the sil tarp or the MEC scout tarps are very wear-resistant. Both are made by coating a fine-woven fabric with a silicone water-repellant layer. I think that layer is easily abraded, and I think the tarp will leak afterward. I have never used mine as a ground sheet.

Definitely have a lower hydrostatic head and will 'mist' in really hard rains. But that is the trade-off with silnylon. Very light but you give up some waterproofness....

BCBoy88 03-08-2011 12:17 AM

Yes I do use a stuff sack.
Thank you for all the replies. I will need to get some time under each tarp to find out which one I like best :)

For the folks who said it will not retain waterproofing over time, does the material itself start ripping? Or just the coating wears?

FamilyGuy 03-08-2011 08:15 AM

Do you mean Silnylon? UV rays will generally damage silnylon more than comparable PU coated or silicon coated fabrics. It is just too thin. However (big however), you can apply a silicon treatment to the silnylon and it will gain all of its waterproofness back (and then some). But this is over a lot of use, of course.

BCBoy88 03-09-2011 10:22 AM

Thank you for the reply FamilyGuy. Yes I meant the Silnylon tarp.

Wulf2 03-09-2011 07:29 PM

I have bought a couple of these for myself and a friend and they are pretty decent quality . The weight of the 9ft6 x 9ft6 is about 1.2 lb and this is a Canadian company that I have had excellent service from .

I also have a 12ft6 x 9ft6 that weighs 1.8 lb . Shipping was $7.00

http://www.greatadventure.ca/00cart/...idproduct=2112

Wulf

BCBoy88 03-11-2011 12:23 AM

I have heard good reviews of the Chinook tarp. How small will the 9.6' tarp pack up to? Will it fit in a 1L Nalgene water bottle with some room to spare?

Wulf2 03-11-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

quote:Will it fit in a 1L Nalgene water bottle with some room to spare?
I doubt it ; but folded flat rather than stuffed or rolled it takes little room in the bottom of the pack .

Wulf

runningclouds 03-11-2011 02:43 PM

Betamid and Megamid by Black Diamond. They can be set up in the form of traditional tent if the weather turns bad or in a variety of tarp configurations.

msulkers 03-12-2011 06:56 PM

Alpine Threadworks has a nifty tarp that also converts into a bivy sac or can be used as a winter rescue "toboggan."

Check out their website.

I don't find silnylon has a limited life. I use mine (Integral Designs) about a hundred days a year minimum and it's going onto its sixth year without issues.

It's been used in tropical sun, summer downpours, and winter over a snow kitchen. No wear issues and it doesn't drip...

BCBoy88 03-15-2011 06:30 PM

Thank you for the all suggestions.
I ended up buying a tarp at the local shop here, 3Vets (1st & Yukon by Canadian Tire) as I had a discount I could not pass up.

6'8" x 9'10" Silicone tarp from Aqua-Quest (www.aquaquest.ca).
It packs slightly smaller than the Integral Designs Sil-poncho.

Hopefully the tarp holds well - will have to try it out and report back! :)

FamilyGuy 03-17-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by msulkers

Alpine Threadworks has a nifty tarp that also converts into a bivy sac or can be used as a winter rescue "toboggan."

Check out their website.

I don't find silnylon has a limited life. I use mine (Integral Designs) about a hundred days a year minimum and it's going onto its sixth year without issues.

It's been used in tropical sun, summer downpours, and winter over a snow kitchen. No wear issues and it doesn't drip...
Interesting studies done on the degradation of silnylon over time (short time) and the negative effect on hydrostatic head.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...e_pagination=1

kellylegros 05-05-2011 04:20 PM

camshaft 05-05-2011 11:57 PM

If your backpacking then weight/space is your obvious target specs.

For backpacking I use the MEC siltarps for kayaking I use the MEC scout or Guides Tarps. They are larger and heavier but more durable.

this one is a hit with the hammock guys at 19.99 but is hard to get because its aways sold out. It is bit heavier and bulky compared to the MEC siltarps.
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=328267

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by BCBoy88

Hi folks!
As the subject states, what are some 1 or 2 person tarp recommendations?

I have a Kelty Noah 12x12' tarp and when stuffed becomes 20" taller with a 5.5" diameter. I believe it weights roughly 3lbs. It is taking much too much space in my 35L pack.

I am looking for a smaller tarp that will pack smaller, much smaller and I have noticed many selections at MEC yet alone browsing online.

What tarps do you use and would you recommend it?
Lighter weight is a bonus but my primary aiming is for a smaller package at a value cost. I bought the Kelty Noah for $50, serves GREAT for 3+ people and a dog but too big for single or two person use with a dog.

If you have the MEC Scout Tarp or the Silicone Scout Tarp please indicate the durability of the tarp and if you feel it is roomy for one or two with a dog :p

All replies are appreciated!

cpetterson 05-06-2011 09:51 PM

Im lookin into gettin the silicone scout. If its ripstop nylon then its fine for how much id use it and if its coating gets rubbed off then it can just get sprayed back on.