Arc'teryx warranty? Finally... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Snowshoe, mountain bike, hike, camping
Default Arc'teryx warranty? Finally...

UPDATE JAN. 26th 2011 at the bottom -----------------------------------

Here's my little Arc'teryx warranty story. It's a long story but stay with me, hopefully it will be a short one.

I heard about the quality of Arc'teryx way before I moved to BC. I was really excited to get to Vancouver, even if it rains a lot, I would have my Arc'teryx Goretex paclite Beta jacket to cover me. From biking in the, hiking, snowshoeing, to camping for weeks at a time, in rain or snow, all seasons, the jacket is, was, amazing...

I used it on a daily basis, in every province of Canada, but mainly in British Columbia, and North Vancouver, where Arc'teryx was founded in the 80's. I used it with my Arcteryx Gamma MX hoody from -45 Celsius freezing cold, in wet snow, or only the Beta jacket to protect me from the sun in hot days. I even brought it to Hawaii on top of the Haleakala. I even wore it with suits and dress shirt in fancy places. I could eat, sleep and dream Goretex.

I had no complains about the jacket, are you kidding me ? 550$ + tax, that's what I paid in 2007, and it has been worth every single penny, even more, since then. There does not lie one's problem.

One day I went for a jog in the rain with friends, all shivering and complaining. I was proudly wearing my Beta jacket which had kept me dry since I bought it. That day I thought I was sweating a little bit more than usual. Then, after a little less than 30 minutes, I started to feel wet, really really wet. It felt as if the jacket was not doing it's job; it wasn't anymore. Did you die on me my friend?

I took care of it as I should have. Washed it properly, dried it well, reproofed it carefully. Just like my boots, my jacket is the reason why I can do all I do in British Columbia. Is it raining here or WHAT?

Fill the form, get RA number, clean the jacket, put a note explaining the problem, attach a few pictures, tape the box, address to Arc'teryx Warranty, pay Canada Post, ship. Ain't that easy...

"We received your Beta SL jacket and have noticed the delamination around the shoulder/neck areas. We would like to replace the jacket with a new one for you , under warranty". I never thought I would have had to return an Arc'teryx Jacket, but hey, why do you pay 600$ for? Quality of product and warranty.

I was told that I would have to wait from the date of reception of November 22nd to December 5th and then get a new one shipped. I was gone back home for a week in the end of November so I could live without my hard shell for that period, no problem. On the 5th I was told that they won't receive the jacket for at least another month, or so, or maybe later. Whoooaaaa? [:0]

To top it off, the Beta jacket I bought was a stow hood, the reason I bought it is because I could hide the hood for my city life, the jacket looks really clean without a visible hood, and the fact that a hood stuck outside the jacket tends to fill up with snow, branches, water and squirrels. I hate that. The new Beta jacket doesn't have that option anymore, the hood is outside with no possibilities of zipping it in. The deal I was proposed was, if I find another jacket that would suit me, I can switch it to replace mine, for the price, they'd compensate me for the price of my jacket + 100$ and I would have to pay the rest of the difference, I thought, "wow, sure, no problem". So I picked a few jackets, went out of my way to go to different stores to try them on over the course of a few days, after crazy days at work (it's December, the busiest time of the year at work). I had a few discussion on the phone and email with the warranty department:

"I would take the Theta"
- We don't have it in stock

[:I]

"I would take the Sidewinder"

[B)]

"Stinger?"
- Not in stock

"Can you give me a list of what you have in stock?"
- We don't have a list of what we have, you have to give us what you would change it for and we'll check.

I want told it HAS to be replaced through Warranty, no buying it at a store or retailer and they have nothing in stock. So waiting is the only option no matter what. A warranty that will take months to happen is to my opinion, and opinions of my friends, unacceptable. I mean, my friends returned jackets to, ahem, other companies, and had to wait a mere week to get a brand new one back.

[:0]

Since then, I am waiting, while the forecast in Vancouver is the obvious.... RAIN. RAIN. Snow-rain showers, Mixed precipitations, light rain.. And the forecast in the rockies is Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow. uh oh.....

[V]

For people who know a little about Goretex jackets is that you don't have the luxury of choice, it's not like you will have 10 jackets that will do the same job. They are very specialized. One for hiking, snowshoeing, one for ski, snowboard... they're all pretty different. I know it's the holiday season but I am still waiting for my Jacket that I might have, might, have, eventually, when Vancouver won't be raining anymore. I have snowshoe trips planned, and without a hard shell, if there's any rain or snow, the Gamma MX hoody won't cut it. So I plan to cancel some of my trips if the forecast is what it always is in BC, rain rain rain, until I get a jacket. I got my eyes on one of their jacket, because it's the only one that has the options I need and the only jacket that feels good on me. Although it's a more expensive jacket, I will pay the difference! Please don't let me soaking in the cold, cold Vancouver rain.

In the meantime, what the hell do I do?

I'll keep you posted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Novermber 17th, package sent with defect jacket.

November 22nd, product received and validated as delamination defect under warranty.

December 21st

So after calling many times the warranty department, leaving a couple of messages last week, and a few emails, I finally got a call back (actually 2) and finally asked, again, for a different type of jacket, which they have, in the right size but not the right color. At this point I won't make a fuss for a color because they don't have the color I would chose if I could. Guess i'll just be waiting for the new jacket.

January 26th

Monday I sent an email to the warranty department. My email was short and simple. How can a product shipped on December 21st not be delivered a month later. I know postal services suck but, as I said in my email, the holidays frenzy is over, where's the package? In his answer, the manager simply said there was a mix up, they have the jacket and it will be couriered to me immediately. Which they did. So that problem is solved. I have the jacket in my hanger right now. Finally.

For the people that feel like they deserve a good (company-given) warranty for their expensive products, this review is for you. For everyone else, send me a couple of fat cheques because you are all obviously very rich and maybe not so smart, so I can buy whatever I want whenever I want and not bother with warranties just like you. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:"Can you give me a list of what you have in stock?"
- We don't have a list of what we have, you have to give us what you would change it for and we'll check.
"Yeah but I just named three different ones I would change it for and none of them were in stock. You don't know what you have?"

Sorry to hear that. I had a good experience when the zipper went on my ArcTeryx soft shell pants. They repaired them and mailed them back to me free of charge. (I'd been expecting to have to go to North Van to get them). I had to wait a while, but I was happy with that given that I'd bought them second hand from a friend who scooped them up at some "seconds" sale in the U.S.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: playing guitar,drums fly-fishing,hiking,scrambling,mountaineering

nobody to bitch to???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

wilderness_seeker: The warranty is really good when it's a defect. First hand or not, they honor their products. But a 3 to 5 weeks warranty replacement is already enough wait for something as important as expensive outdoor gear, I was told it might take even more than twice that to receive a replacement. Now that I'm not interested in replacing it with the same jacket that has a different hood, I just hope something great will happen and save my winter season. Argh

nmcan84: I'm calling tomorrow, I have snowshoe trips planned and the forecast doesn't look too good for this winter (sun wise)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

How long since you washed and re-water proofed it? You mentioned that you have done in that in the past. Would doing it again not solve the problem?

Plus I wouldn't really expect my goretex to keep me dry if i was running in it in the rain. If it's warmish and humid out and your warm and humid inside too..the sweat is just gonna build up inside isn't it? I never run in goretex.

Plus you had 3 years great use out of the jacket...I know it was expensive and you should get more life than that out of it but I don't think that means you can whine about not getting a brand new one for nothing as soon as you want it.

You're lucky you will be getting a brand new one at some point. How would they make money if they only sold one jacket per person per life time? You would be paying more than $550...

While you're waiting for your brand spanking new nice arcteryx jacket to arrive why not buy a $5 poncho and then you can still go on those snowshoes trips.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

They should have a better warranty process.
Looks like you have to wait a long time. It's unfortunate. I don't own any Arcteryx item (only grocery bag they offered to people who were waiting in line during one sale). I was just browsing the sale that day and didn't have money to buy seconds. People were buying a lot. Good for them! Arcteryx makes good stuff.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

You sound like a whiny self entitled b$*%^. Guess what time of year it is? What a shocker, they are out of stock. Suck it up you don't need a $600 jacket to protect you from the elements, and they are replacing it. If you're going to stay home because ("what the hell do I do?") you don't know what to do without it, then maybe you shouldn't be outdoors.

But hey, pissing and whining always helps [:0]

Quote:
quote:[i^]Originally posted by Incantare[/i]

Here's my little Arc'teryx warranty story. It's a long story but stay with me, hopefully it will be a short one.

I heard about the quality of Arc'teryx way before I moved to BC. I was really excited to get to Vancouver, even if it rains a lot, I would have my Arc'teryx Goretex paclite Beta jacket to cover me. From biking in the, hiking, snowshoeing, to camping for weeks at a time, in rain or snow, all seasons, the jacket is, was, amazing...

I used it on a daily basis, in every province of Canada, but mainly in British Columbia, and North Vancouver, where Arc'teryx was founded in the 80's. I used it with my Arcteryx Gamma MX hoody from -45 Celsius freezing cold, in wet snow, or only the Beta jacket to protect me from the sun in hot days. I even brought it to Hawaii on top of the Haleakala. I even wore it with suits and dress shirt in fancy places. I could eat, sleep and dream Goretex.

I had no complains about the jacket, are you kidding me ? 550$ + tax, that's what I paid in 2007, and it has been worth every single penny, even more, since then. There does not lie one's problem.

One day I went for a jog in the rain with friends, all shivering and complaining. I was proudly wearing my Beta jacket which had kept me dry since I bought it. That day I thought I was sweating a little bit more than usual. Then, after a little less than 30 minutes, I started to feel wet, really really wet. It felt as if the jacket was not doing it's job; it wasn't anymore. Did you die on me my friend?

I took care of it like a child, as I should have. Wash it properly, dry it well, reproof it carefully. Just like my boots, my jacket is the reason why I can do all I do in British Columbia. Is it raining here or WHAT?

Fill the form, get RA number, clean the jacket, put a note explaining the problem, attach a few pictures, tape the box, address to Arc'teryx Warranty, pay Canada Post, ship. Ain't that easy...

"We received your Beta SL jacket and have noticed the delamination around the shoulder/neck areas. We would like to replace the jacket with a new one for you , under warranty". I never thought I would have had to return an Arc'teryx Jacket, but hey, why do you pay 600$ for? Quality of product and warranty.

I was told that I would have to wait from the date of reception of November 22nd to December 5th and then get a new one shipped. I was gone back home for a week in the end of November so I could live without my hard shell for that period, no problem. On the 5th I was told that they won't receive the jacket for at least another month, or so, or maybe later. Whoooaaaa? [:0]

To top it off, the Beta jacket I bought was a stow hood, the reason I bought it is because I could hide the hood for my city life, the jacket looks really clean without a visible hood, and the fact that a hood stuck outside the jacket tends to fill up with snow, branches, water and squirrels. I hate that. The new Beta jacket doesn't have that option anymore, the hood is outside with no possibilities of zipping it in. The deal I was proposed was, if I find another jacket that would suit me, I can switch it to replace mine, for the price, they'd compensate me for the price of my jacket + 100$ and I would have to pay the rest of the difference, I thought, "wow, sure, no problem". So I picked a few jackets, went out of my way to go to different stores to try them on over the course of a few days, after crazy days at work (it's December, the busiest time of the year at work). I had a few discussion on the phone and email with the warranty department:

"I would take the Theta"

[:I]

"I would take the Sidewinder"

[B)]

"Stinger?"
- Not in stock

"Can you give me a list of what you have in stock?"

I want told it HAS to be through Warranty, no buying it at a store or retailer and they have nothing in stock. So waiting is the only option no matter what. A warranty that will take months to happen is to my opinion, and opinions of my friends, unacceptable. I mean, my friends returned jackets to, ahem, other companies, and had to wait a mere week to get a brand new one back.

[:0]

Since then, I feel completely left to my pain, while the forecast in Vancouver is the obvious.... RAIN. RAIN. Snow-rain showers, Mixed precipitations, light rain.. And the forecast in the rockies is Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow. uh oh.....

[V]

For people who know a little about Goretex jackets is that you don't have the luxury of choice, it's not like you will have 10 jackets that will do the same job. They are very specialized. One for hiking, snowshoeing, one for ski, snowboard... they're all pretty different. I know it's the holiday season but I am still waiting for my Jacket that I might have, might, have, eventually, when Vancouver won't be raining anymore. I have snowshoe trips planned, and without a hard shell, if there's any rain or snow, the Gamma MX hoody won't cut it. So I plan to cancel my trips, until I get a jacket. I got my eyes on the Sidewinder, because it's the only one with the stow hood that fits me perfectly. I will pay the difference! Please don't let me soaking in the cold, cold Vancouver rain.

I'll keep you posted.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

booewen: You'Re funny. If a poncho would work, you think I'd pay 550 for a jacket? You think anyone would pay for a jacket? Hell, I'd buy a garbage bag and cut holes into it.

Goretex is to repel water, and breath your sweat out, cut the wind and keep your soft shell dry in rain, snow or hurricanes. Also, the reproofing would not work. As I stated before, Arc'teryx acknowledged it was a factory defect: delamination. The lamination is between the goretex and the layer inside. It's two layers laminated together. Delamination means a separation of the layers. Meaning the jacket is broken. That means I paid for something that literally "broke" while being used normally. And under warranty. I guess you're that kind of consumer, you just buy another one. I'm not. Under their own regulation, it's not my fault.

Following your way of thinking, every 3 years I should buy a new 500$ tent, 200$ sleeping bag, 600$ goretex jacket, 500$ polar jacket, 200$ pair of goretex pants, 400$ snowboots, 300$ snowshoes, 200$ backpack, 300$ hiking boots...

What's the point of a warranty in your opinion? I paid an incredible amount of money for a 300grams jacket, that's for peace of mind to know that it won't break like a cheap jacket would and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere while camping 3 weeks alone. And if it does break, the company will replace it. 3 years is nothing in a jacket's life. I still have leather jackets from the 90's in my closet.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by booewen

How long since you washed and re-water proofed it? You mentioned that you have done in that in the past. Would doing it again not solve the problem?

Plus I wouldn't really expect my goretex to keep me dry if i was running in it in the rain. If it's warmish and humid out and your warm and humid inside too..the sweat is just gonna build up inside isn't it? I never run in goretex.

Plus you had 3 years great use out of the jacket...I know it was expensive and you should get more life than that out of it but I don't think that means you can whine about not getting a brand new one for nothing as soon as you want it.

You're lucky you will be getting a brand new one at some point. How would they make money if they only sold one jacket per person per life time? You would be paying more than $550...

While you're waiting for your brand spanking new nice arcteryx jacket to arrive why not buy a $5 poncho and then you can still go on those snowshoes trips.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

It's the time of the year to be in the Rockies doing what many people do in the snow? So what do you suggest to protect me from the elements genius? Wool ? haha

[quote]Originally posted by time2clmb

You sound like a whiny self entitled b$*%^. Guess what time of year it is? What a shocker, they are out of stock. Suck it up you don't need a $600 jacket to protect you from the elements, and they are replacing it. If you're going to stay home because ("what the hell do I do?") you don't know what to do without it, then maybe you shouldn't be outdoors.

But hey, pissing and whining always helps [:0]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Incantare

Not cancel your trips over a lack of a pricey jacket?

It's upsetting to wait for things to come in stock, but I'd think the important thing is to get out there.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

A little snow or rain ain't that bad for my soft shell. I'll still go out. But the biggest problem is heavier rain or snow, which is pretty much constant this year for some reason (same reason as 2007-2008). Those people (From Alberta for some reason), think you can still go out without a proper jacket in the rain or snow in BC. Jeez! Eh, no you can't. And snowshoeing for 10 hours with a poncho is ridiculous.

I would have to buy something else in the meantime which is not really an option since it's going to be either buying gifts for family and friends or buying a new jacket. I'll go with gifts And I'll go outside when it's not too rainy or snowy but it sucks because I hate to plan trips only a few days before so I can see the forecast. I like to be outside at any time and be dry. That's why I went with goretex.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tu

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Incantare

Not cancel your trips over a lack of a pricey jacket?

It's upsetting to wait for things to come in stock, but I'd think the important thing is to get out there.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Summit Master

You Can get by with a lesser replacment, If they are sending you a new item, just hang tight and make the best out of it. Really.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Did you know that places like Value Village and The Salvation Army are often full of rain/snow jackets? Often for prices of less than $15. No warranty though. Good option while you are waiting on a $500 replacement jacket and really find yourself vulnerable to the elements.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

a few points ...

- to all those blaming it on the OP about washing or other such ... note the dead bird coop said DELAMINATION ... thats a fabric failure

- to all those talking about the OP crying ... you're paying $500+ for a jacket you are damn right you should expect stellar customer service and a bullet proof guarantee ... MEC, Eddie Bauer First Ascent, REI, OR, etc ... have no questions asked guarantees ... and all those sell at lower price points than dead bird

- IME dead bird is no better or worse than any other gear manufacturer in terms of product quality, for service, well no one beats MEC or EB ... just bring it in and theyll swap on the spot or give you a credit

- everybody is always saying how dead bird is bomber and that itll love you long time ... yet when things go kapooofay, someone suddenly turns around and says 3 years is acceptable??? ... id expect 3 years out of an entry level south butt rain jacket ... lol

- to the OP ... if dead bird doesnt take care of you try contacting gore directly ... they guarantee all their products against failure ... i hear they are pretty goood

im sure all the dead birders here will quack in protest about how i dont own or know shiet about dead birds

all i have to say is this .... i buy it on clearance, it aint bad, but it aint da shiet either ... and it makes me look yuppay

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...o-keep-you-dry

OUR TECHNOLOGIES
ABOUT GORE-TEX® FABRIC
OUR GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY® PROMISE
If you are not completely satisfied with the waterproofness, windproofness, or breathability of a GORE-TEX® product then we will repair it, replace it, or refund your purchase price.

All GORE-TEX® garments and footwear - and only GORE-TEX® garments and footwear - carry our GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY® promise.

What does this mean? It means that no liquid from the outside will get to you on the inside. This includes moisture from the wet grass you're kneeling in to the sudden squall you get caught in. And that's a promise.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I think the point is that yes Arc'teryx is covering this jacket under warranty. Good.

It could be spring by the time your goretex winter jacket is replaced. Bad.

I'd also be upset to hear that any item that was going to be replaced under warranty wasn't going to be available for weeks or months.

Yes you could buy a replacement jacket, but a replacement jacket is what you're waiting for! I know Burton has (or maybe had, I maybe out of touch) a 48hrs warranty policy in the US. Meaning they would have a replacement or resolution within 48hrs of receiving the warranty claim. If my car broke under warranty and they told me it would be weeks to months without it before it gets fixed, I'd freak! Or my splitboard or whatever. You have a right to be miffed, Arc'teryx is a top brand that you surely pay through the nose for, I would also expect a faster resolution, it sounds like the warranty department should have stock made available to them or they should at least have another way of resolving like compensating you for the purchase of a retail replacement (which is surely in stock all over the place) if they have nothing suitable available.

Now if your jacket just tore and Arc'teryx said its not their fault, i can understand, or if you didn't buy it retail with warranty, then sure you have no leg to stand on. But really. how many other Arc'teryx owners would be pleased to be without their jacket until spring?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page