Arc'teryx warranty? Finally... - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Incantare

... Having a bsckup plan for all my gear is crazy...
My friend changed a North Face jacket many times for product failure...
Dude dont get into skydiving... it's all about the back up plan.

NF and a product failing many times sounds about right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

The problem is that ArcTeryx is not what they used to be, but charge the same dough they always have. Now they're just part of a big conglomerate that couldn't give a rat's ass about providing the kind of service you expect when paying big bucks for a garment.

It's Gore-Tex. The same fabric that is used by MEC, OR and a ton of others. ArcTeryx wants everyone to think there are substantial differences, but not that I can really see.

My Outdoor Research jacket was half the price of a similar ArcTeryx. OR's warranty is as good as ArcTeryx, and their service is known to be as good, if not better. So, if my jacket has an early failure, I'd probably buy another, then I'd have a spare.

Lots of awesome waterproof breathable jackets out there for $200-350. This is meant to help people reading the thread considering blowing big bucks on a Dead Bird...
Arc'teryx is in every way better then it used to be. They also still has the lowest return rate in the industry. They are still designed in North Van by mostly original designers they are still using better fabrics and stitching then other companies offerings at the same price.

The only problem here is they under forcasted the sell through in what is supposed to be a tough economic time and we as a retailer are having the same problem of not being able to keep up with demand. Almost daily now I am telling people I can not get them the jacket they are standing in front of me ready to pay for, not good at this time of year. Arc'teryx knows they screwed up and are trying to fix it but they will not catch up until spring.

As for the warranty if they had stock it would have been replaced immediately !

As for the original OP Incantare email me the size colour and styles you are looking at and I will tell you exactly when each will be available.

Cheers

Mike
post #33 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Valhalla
...are still using better fabrics and stitching then other companies offerings at the same price.
Gore-Tex Paclite is Gore-Tex Paclite. Gore-Tex protects their brand with a ferocity unmatched in the outdoor industry. ArcTeryx's Pro Shell, PacLite, Windstopper, or other branded fabrics are no better than the same fabric sold my MEC, OR, or whoever.

ArcTeryx might have better stitching (but is this a problem with other name brands?) and they do have the best seam taping, but the prices are not a "premium" but instead a "heartstopper" compared to other brands. Is a $600 ArcTeryx shell going to last twice as long as a $300 OR shell made from the exact same Gore material? Does it perform 2X as well? I think the gains are marginal, at best.

In Edmonton, the retailers of ArcTeryx soft goods protect their pipeline like a hungry lion over a fresh kill. One found that ArcTeryx was allowing MEC employees to pro-deal soft goods despite MEC being a hard goods only dealer, and what a shit-storm they blew up. Why? ArcTeryx is about margins. Sweet, big, wonderful margins. You want the logo, you gotta pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Headed for the Mountains

better fabrics ? ... not what they told me with the inside of my atom dethreading from the interior fabric ... then there is the drop seat on my dead bird harness coming apart ... fortunately i bought it at MEC

IMO westcomb has the best stitching, i own several of their pieces and tons of dead birdies ... and at least they are still made in vancouver, bc, canada

anyways to the OP ... the dead bird factory store on dollarton has TONS of wpb jackets ... they may not have one you want, but if i were the owner of deadbird, id take one of those seconds and offer it to you as a loaner till something comes in ... just my opinion

anyways try GORE, they may take care of you ... you may not get another dead bird ... but do you really want one again after this?

if you really want you an write a complaint to the BBB
post #35 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Would anyone actually plan to use their Arc'teryx jacket for life? Wouldn't the DWR eventually wear down and become difficult to restore with the special washes? It then stops breathing as well.

I bought a dead bird jacket at 50% off as a factory defect (no warranty.) If I get a few solid seasons out of it then I will be happy to retire it as a back-up/bushwack jacket. I realize they are expensive but I can't expect any outerwear garment to last for life, no matter what the manufacturer says.

If they made it very easy to take advantage of the lifetime warranty, I think they'd go out of business so I don't have any issues with having to mail it into the factory. That said, I do think they should try to be a bit more accommodating in your situation. They've acknowledged that there was a failure in the material and now they are unable to honour their warranty in a timely manner. Can they send you your old jacket back and let you know when a replacement is in stock?

Cheers,
post #36 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

Would anyone actually plan to use their Arc'teryx jacket for life? Wouldn't the DWR eventually wear down and become difficult to restore with the special washes? It then stops breathing as well.

I bought a dead bird jacket at 50% off as a factory defect (no warranty.) If I get a few solid seasons out of it then I will be happy to retire it as a back-up/bushwack jacket. I realize they are expensive but I can't expect any outerwear garment to last for life, no matter what the manufacturer says.

If they made it very easy to take advantage of the lifetime warranty, I think they'd go out of business so I don't have any issues with having to mail it into the factory. That said, I do think they should try to be a bit more accommodating in your situation. They've acknowledged that there was a failure in the material and now they are unable to honour their warranty in a timely manner. Can they send you your old jacket back and let you know when a replacement is in stock?

Cheers,
seventy ... goretex warranties the fabric for "useful" life ... they should take care of the OP if dead bird wont

doesnt matter if you buy it at the factory store where dead bird says "no warranty" ... if its a fabric failure ... gore warranties it

which is why i do buy goretex at those "no warranty" sample and outlet sale ...
post #37 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

Quote:
...are still using better fabrics and stitching then other companies offerings at the same price.
Gore-Tex Paclite is Gore-Tex Paclite. Gore-Tex protects their brand with a ferocity unmatched in the outdoor industry. ArcTeryx's Pro Shell, PacLite, Windstopper, or other branded fabrics are no better than the same fabric sold my MEC, OR, or whoever.

ArcTeryx might have better stitching (but is this a problem with other name brands?) and they do have the best seam taping, but the prices are not a "premium" but instead a "heartstopper" compared to other brands. Is a $600 ArcTeryx shell going to last twice as long as a $300 OR shell made from the exact same Gore material? Does it perform 2X as well? I think the gains are marginal, at best.

In Edmonton, the retailers of ArcTeryx soft goods protect their pipeline like a hungry lion over a fresh kill. One found that ArcTeryx was allowing MEC employees to pro-deal soft goods despite MEC being a hard goods only dealer, and what a shit-storm they blew up. Why? ArcTeryx is about margins. Sweet, big, wonderful margins. You want the logo, you gotta pay.
Gore supplies most companies with catalogues of fabrics that they have to use. Even within this their are many different face fabrics laminated to gore Paclite or Pro-shell which will change the life and price of the fabric.

Arc'teryx is different they get to source their own fabrics based on their needs and gets Gore to laminate it. This cost Arc'teryx more.

So if you are comparing Paclite to Paclite or Pro-Shell to Pro-shell you are only comparing a membrain. Different face fabrics will stand up longer hold DWR differently and will allow different manufacturing options (lamination)

If you are comparing a $300 OR Paclite Jacket to a $300 Arc'teryx Paclite jacket they are pretty similar. If you are comparing a $500 to $600 Arc'teryz Pro-shell jacket to any other company Arc'teryx comes out on top.

Arc'teryx still produces most of their Pro-shell and some Paclite in Vancouver.

Westcomb, OR, North Face, Marmot, Patagonia, MEC all make great products that will last a long time !! I'm not saying every one should run out and buy a $600 Gore Pro-shell jacket from Arc'teryx. All I'm saying is when compared apples to apples Pro-Shell to Pro-shell they are making the best in the industry.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Arc'teryx still produces most of their Pro-shell and some Paclite in Vancouver.

post #39 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I didn't say all.

I can take pictures too if you like
post #40 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The irony of people using computers made in China to complain about jackets made in China always amuses me.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

lol ... ill hit up the store today and see how many dead birdie gore pro jackets are made in canada

if im going to spend $500+ on a jacket ... damn right ill support made in vancouver, bc, canada when i get the chance ... so long as the quality there

now dead bird $250 jackets on clearence ... ill buy the dim sum anyday for that price
[]
post #42 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Canada;

Proshell

Alpha SV
Alpha LT
Fission SL
Theta AR
Beta AR
Sidewinder SV
Theta SV
Stinger SV

Alpha SV Bib
Stinger SV Bib

Off the top of my head.

post #43 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

westcomb .... no need to think about it

not to mention it still canadian owned ... there is also the nice thing called event they use ...

with ID sold to rab ... not that many canadian companies left that still manuf in canada

i still have and use my made in canada taiga pants ... not yuppie but they do the job ...

hmmmm .....

post #44 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Westcomb makes great stuff.
post #45 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Yah I love Westcomb too. I'd also say its of better quality to Arc'teryx, and I vastly prefer Event fabric to Goretex Proshell(though I haven't yet tried paclite) for hiking/touring. I do feel pride in that it was made in Canada!

The downside is that a bunch of my touring buddies are all wearing Westcomb now and Event being so damn breathable does not do a thing to mask morning farts on the skintrack[xx(]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page