Advice: what to charge for my topo/marine maps? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Advice: what to charge for my topo/marine maps?

Hi

I really haven't been using all my topo & marine maps lately and I'm in de-clutter mode.
I just went on some of the government/commercial sites to try to figure this out but it wasn't simple: anyone know what the going rate is for new topo/marine maps these days?

Also, does anyone know - ballpark - how often new ones are issued? I thought I could easily find out which of mine are still the current-issue but it didn't seem that was going to be a quick hunt.

I didn't realize until Googling that it seems you can just print your own topo's online now? Is there still a market for these?
Anyone have a suggestion what I should ask for these?

TOPO MAPS
1 Golden Ears area (Pitt River 92/10 edition 2)
2 Sunshine Coast 1 (Sechelt Inlet 92 G/12 edition 2)
3 Sunshine Coast 2 (Sechelt 92 G/5 edition 2)
4 Duffy Lake 92 J/8 edition 2
5 Cheakamus River 92 G/14 edition 2
6 Mt. Seymour & Elsay Lake, Cypress Mtn., Widgeon Lake, start of 7 Golden Ears (Port Coquitlam 92 G/7, edition 5)
7 Lilooet, Cayoosh Range, Bendor Range, Chilcotin Ranges (Shalath 92 J/9 edition 2)
8 Whistler 92 J/2 edition 3
9 Manning Park 92 H/2 edition 2
10 Pemberton 92 J/7 edition 2
11 Cathedral range (Ashnola River 92 H/1 edition 2)

all 1:50,000; all official full-sized government topo's purchased from Surveys & Mapping Branch, Canada

MARINE MAPS
12 Desolation Sound & Sutil Channel 3538
13 Saanich Peninsula, D'Arcy Isl. Marine Park, Princess Margaret Marine Park (Moresby Isl.), Saturna Isl., N & S Pender Isl, S Saltspring Isl., northern San Juan isls. (Haro Strait, Boundary Pass & Satellite Channel 3441
14 Newcastle Isl., Gabriola Isl., Thetis Isl., Valdes Isl., Pirates Cove Marine Park (De Courcy Isl.), Whaleboat Isl. Marine Park, northern Gabriola Isl. (Thetis Isl. to Nanaimo 3443)
15 Active Pass 3473
16 N Pender Isl. to Thetis Isl 3442
17 Bowen Isl., Gambier Isl., Anvil Isl., Texada Isl., Lasqueti Isl, Thormanby Isls., Sechelt Inlet (Strait of Georgia, central portion 3512)

all 1:40,000 except Active Pass which is 1:12,000; all official full-sized government nautical marine maps

Thanks for the advice!!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I think all of the topos you have are likely to have recently been replaced by a newer version... they all just came out. But yours still likely have value, because getting them printed out on large paper isn't trivial, and the new data isn't much different. Not sure on the marine charts.

Probably some people on here would be interested in them, but the problem is making it worth it to bother meeting up to exchange etc. I guess you could just mail them and it wouldn't likely cost so much. A reasonable price is probably something like $5 each? Depends on the condition I guess. Maybe a bit more if they are brand new with no wear in the creases and you cover the shipping... but in the past other people have given away the same topos on CT for free, so that gives you an idea of the price range of your "competition."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I didn't know that the Canadian topo's had just recently been re-issued, okay that's helpful to know.
No wear in creases for the most part; I keep them rolled not folded.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

The 1:50,000 maps are not being reissued. Some were reprinted on nicer paper by a private company, but I wouldn't consider that reissued (certainly not updated). All, however, have been made outdated by 1:20,000 scale BC TRIM maps (TRIM 2 was created within the last 5 years). That doesn't make them obsolete though, as 1:50,000 is a nicer scale to have on the water. I would find out what the new 50k maps cost and use that as a guidline.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by magnetite

The 1:50,000 maps are not being reissued. Some were reprinted on nicer paper by a private company, but I wouldn't consider that reissued (certainly not updated). All, however, have been made outdated by 1:20,000 scale BC TRIM maps (TRIM 2 was created within the last 5 years). That doesn't make them obsolete though, as 1:50,000 is a nicer scale to have on the water. I would find out what the new 50k maps cost and use that as a guidline.
?

New versions:

http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Once you figure out how much you want for them e-mail or PM me I might just buy all your topo's.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

My father was a Navy man and always updated his marine charts. He was too cheap to throw them out, so used the old ones for X-Mass present wrapping paper. I'm even cheaper and have never thrown a map or chart away (I have one chart from the 1920's that could be a collector item). I use newspaper for wrapping paper, or forgo X-mass all together when I can.

I think any chart or map has value, even if it's not up to date. Just figure out your true compass declination. If anybody has any topo maps of the northern end or west coast (N of Hot Springs) of Vancouver Island, that they would like to sell, contact me.

Depending on age & condition, I would think a chart or map could go for about a third of it's new replacement price. I guess it also depends on what the online printable versions cost when it's all said and done.

Peter
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

If any of your topo maps are tyvec, then they are worth more in my opinion. I would probably buy an older edition Tyvec map for the same price that it would cost for a new current edition map. Many of these are really disappointing quality now. However, I'm not in the market for maps right now, so you'll have to find some other sucker.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Charts you can probably sell for half the original price, if you work at it. I think they still cost $20 new.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Summit Master

Go see Lars Pedersen at MarinersXchange in Steveston and see if he will take your charts. He gets a lot of traffic through his store and I see people browsing the charts file all the time

http://www.marinersxchange.com/index.html

BTW are your Marine charts flat, rolled, or folded?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by playethic

Hi

I really haven't been using all my topo & marine maps lately and I'm in de-clutter mode.
I just went on some of the government/commercial sites to try to figure this out but it wasn't simple: anyone know what the going rate is for new topo/marine maps these days?

Also, does anyone know - ballpark - how often new ones are issued? I thought I could easily find out which of mine are still the current-issue but it didn't seem that was going to be a quick hunt.

I didn't realize until Googling that it seems you can just print your own topo's online now?
You can easily find out the current edition of NTS Maps:
http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo_metadat...metadata_e.php
For example, 092G10, Pitt River, is currently edition 03, printed in 2002.

All of the NTS paper maps are available for free as digital files, known as the CanMatrix product:
CanMatrix (Georeferenced) - Digital Topographic Maps of Canada
CanMatrix (Print Ready) - Digital Topographic Maps of Canada

Cantopo is the new NRCAN product, but it (currently) lacks the coverage of CanMatrix.

There is also the Toporama dataset, which has good coverage, but lacks the cartographic qualities of a CanMatrix or CanTopo map.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpatton
Cantopo is the new NRCAN product, but it (currently) lacks the coverage of CanMatrix.
Ah cool, I couldn't figure out what the data coverage was. I tried a bunch of maps, but only around here and in the arctic, both areas that are updated!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swebster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by magnetite

?

New versions:

http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/
I stand corrected. Its been about a year since I've had a look at the downloadable maps, and those are new versions. The GeoPDF file format is a very recent addition.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving

Hello. I'm not sure if I am doing this right, but both those "GeoMatrix" addresses go to a page that allows one to "zoom in" various map numbers, but no actual topo data is visible. Does one have to be a member in order to get these maps ?
Andrew Klinzmann
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by aklinz

Hello. I'm not sure if I am doing this right, but both those "GeoMatrix" addresses go to a page that allows one to "zoom in" various map numbers, but no actual topo data is visible. Does one have to be a member in order to get these maps ?
Andrew Klinzmann
No, you don't have to be "a member" - the CanMatrix data is available for free. There are 7 different methods available on those CanMatrix pages to get to the data, so I don't understand why you are having problems.

For example, click the "by NTS Mapsheet" link, enter an NTS mapsheet name (e.g. 92G06), click "Locate", click the "Search Available Datasets" button below the map, uncheck all except "092G06", click "Submit", click "Download", then click on the 'map name' link (e.g. CanMatrix (Georeferenced) - Digital Topographic Maps of Canada 092G06), not the link below (e.g. Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM), 300 dpi, GeoTiff (.tif),), and your download should start.

If you know which NTS maps you are looking for, it's easiest to use an FTP client to download the maps via their FTP server.

If you are unsure about how to make use of the data, and are a user of OziExplorer (or perhaps other mapping software) you can have a look at my 6-part "Canada Maps and Data" postings on the OziExplorer users forum - there are links towards the bottom of my OziExplorer Information page.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page