Asolo TPS 535 mistake? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Asolo TPS 535 mistake?

Is it really true that 1lb on your shoes = 6lbs on your back?

I recently got a pair of Asolo TPS 535, not sure if I make a mistake getting this shoes? This is my first pair of backpacking boot with full gain leather. They are heavier then regular hiking shoes. My purpose of getting this shoes is for multi day hike out on the back country with 30lbs plus pack. The quality of this shoes is high. Double stitching with thick leather. The sole is stiff yet has enough flex for movement.

My concern is that how will this perform out int he field. With the heavy weight makes me feel fatigue? If you have any experience with this shoes, please do share your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

looks great to me. make sure you wax or treat them before use.

ofcouse they are heavery then a shoe. but they are needed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

They are not needed, but they might be worthwhile to you.

Many people find that sturdier boots make their backpacking a lot better - even if it is heavier. If you are one of them, then great. I wish you and your new boots a long and happy time together. It is normal that something like this would be much heavier than a light shoe. You just have to decide for yourself what parts matter.

Think of it like any other item - is the weight of the item worth the benefit it will bring you? For a lot of people, it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

Not sure,but nice boots!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Just as important - do they fit?
not just in the store but on the trail!

I'm still looking for a great boot.

G
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Well knguye11

The extra weight does suck compared to a lighter boot or running shoe. Its your call on how agile and strong your ankles are. Other factors would be how dry the trail was if you could get away with a lighter hiker.

I personally love trail runners but they do have very limited ankle support or protection. As one bad step in a runner could end your trip while a heavier boot would have protected you. So again its your call..

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by knguye11

Is it really true that 1lb on your shoes = 6lbs on your back?

I recently got a pair of Asolo TPS 535, not sure if I make a mistake getting this shoes? This is my first pair of backpacking boot with full gain leather. They are heavier then regular hiking shoes. My purpose of getting this shoes is for multi day hike out on the back country with 30lbs plus pack. The quality of this shoes is high. Double stitching with thick leather. The sole is stiff yet has enough flex for movement.

My concern is that how will this perform out int he field. With the heavy weight makes me feel fatigue? If you have any experience with this shoes, please do share your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Summit Master

If you ever intend to go off trail, on boulders or some semi-serious scrambling, those will probably save you from a twisted or broken ankle more than once.

-Ryan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Those are DAMN nice boots, a mistake? Nah...

Boots are the way to go, especially if you are hiking in unknown or rough terrain.
Nothing could be worse than being in "Trail Runners" and wishing you had your boots.
For a variety of reasons I'd never hike in trail runners.

In regards to those boots, they are much better style for keeping water out.
You shouldn't have any complaints about weight, I wouldn't, unless you need some muscle .
I love Asolos.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Sorry for ignorant question, but why do I need to wax or treat these? Is it for water protection? It might worth to do that since this model of Asolo is not water proof.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smac

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

I always backpack in light hikers. Less leg fatigue, very little break in required, better cushioning, etc. However, they simply will not last as long as a good leather boot. Personally, I would return them if you are hiking on groomed trails. Over a few KM's you will definitely feel the weight.

For scrambling or climbing - boots for sure.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I took this out yesterday for a short hike (6 miles) at a local park, and it's so far so good as far as the boot goes. I replaced and insole with superfeet (blue), what a mistake. Once I have putted the original insole back everything fit perfectly.

I have been using superfeet for couple of years not, but never on a boot. I have them in my everyday working, running, and hiking shoes which is every comfy. Thinking that superfeet would do wonder or even better on this high end boot since Asolo original insole is thin and feel cheap. It's not the case at all. It was hurting from middle of my arch to my big toe. Not to mention it's tight fit on the upper part of shoes. I think the reason been Asolo booth heel is already taller than normal boot and shoes. Adding supperfeet in there make it 1mm or 2mm higher cause my feet downward and tight in front. Lesson learned not superfeet might not work on all shoes.

I am still getting use to the weight and the stiffness of this boot. This is my first time wearing this heavy of a booth compare to a running shoes. Hopefully I will get used to it and well break in before I head the trail with my 35lbs backpack in two weeks.

Kyle
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

It will take a few or more serious hikes before they'll be broken in, best breakin would be some all terrain hikes with lots of bending of the toes etc. Wear them around town too if you must . Although I find asolo treads wear on pavement rather quickly.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I had Asolo's before and they are a nice boot. They have changed where they are made though and the quality went down in my mind.

As for breaking them in, it's just a time thing. After 100 hours they should be fine. I wear mine at work so I get at least 50 hours a week in them. The Asolo's I had lasted the longest of any boot I have ever had.

I would never trade ankle support for a few grams, for me a sprain or break could be life threatening the place I go solo.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

If you do not mind scratching and tearing the life out of these boots, they would be okay moving around in clearcuts and sharp-big-rock terrain ,or river beds ; or night-time Ninja stealth [}]
However, if distance and speed are desirable on maintained surfaces [ or jumping in & out of water ] then a good solid pair of breathable runners , or low-ankle light-weights are the way to go.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by knguye11

Sorry for ignorant question, but why do I need to wax or treat these? Is it for water protection? It might worth to do that since this model of Asolo is not water proof.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smac

it's both for water proofness and leather conditioner. if left untreated the leather will dry up and crack over time. it needs to be re done every 6-12 months or so.

a waxed leather boot is very waterproof. there is some different wax and cream products to use. I'm not sure what is best.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page