Stein Valley Wilderness Guidebook - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.
Default Stein Valley Wilderness Guidebook

I'm meeting with Gordon this Friday to get more books off him. If anyone is planning a trip into the Stein this summer/fall, this is a great resource. If you're interested, let me know by replying to this thread and/or purchasing one in the CT store.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Snowboarding

If you plan on doing the Stein, avoid the North Side route of Tundra Lake if you can -- Take the South route around Caltha Peak. The North route is definitely not a shortcut. It may be short in distance but not in time. It can be quite deceptive -- it doesn't look too bad a route from afar. I had to take the North route because fog/cloud made it impossible for me to take compass bearings along the South route. I knew I wouldn't get lost following the North shore of Tundra Lake (which is why I decided on the North route); however, the terrain is really difficult with many cliffs and massive boulders. There is no trail (as with most of the trail from Stein Lake to Heart Lake) and it can get pretty sketchy when it snows in summer/fall. Although the North route looks way shorter on the map the South route has got to be way quicker.

Another recommendation, follow the ridge route North of Poppet Lake if going to or from Stein Lake -- even though it looks longer, its quicker with less mosquitos.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page