inflatable boats - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping
Default inflatable boats

So I was up at joffre lakes this long weekend. and Fri morning I woke up and 2 guys were paddling around upper lake in an inflable boat and I was so jealus! and now I want a boat to hike with!

does anyone have any recommdations for an inflatable boat that will hold 2 people and be somewhat light and small to stick in a pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

There used to be one stashed in the bush up at Rohr too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

a little to extram for what I'm looking for. those are pretty small too. I want 2 people to relax, not cram together

can tire has a 3 person on sale for $90, 16lbs. more my style but I'll look for something a little lighter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Bry
Headed for the Mountains

See if you can find an Intex Challenger 2. It's a pretty durable little boat, and you can get a decent price on it if you shop around (ex. $30 with paddles)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 05:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bry

See if you can find an Intex Challenger 2. It's a pretty durable little boat, and you can get a decent price on it if you shop around (ex. $30 with paddles)
Where might sell one of these?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

I picked up a little 2 person inflatable from army & navy last year for around $50
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jd22

Quote:

http://www.coolinflatables.com/intex...bleboatskayaks

Still a bit heavy at a whopping 16 lbs!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

http://www.coolinflatables.com/product/58330EP
This one seems pretty light @5lb... just don't paddle close to ANYTHING pointy =P

I picked up one of these late last year: http://www.sevylor.com/Trail-Boat-P1825C40.aspx
It's 1 man, but @~3lb you could get one for each of you. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to test it so far, but I'd guess the coated nylon used is a bit more durable than the PVC used in the first link.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Bry
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jd22

Quote:

I got mine from Save On Foods oddly enough, although I can't remember if the Vancouver area has those stores or not. I've also seen them at Walmart.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Well I must have misunderstood. You said carry it in or attached to your backpack, which implied carrying it some distance in the backcountry. 16 pounds is a crap load of weight for that!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Fly Fishing Camping Hiking Cycling Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FamilyGuy

Best in the business:

https://www.alpackaraft.com/store/in...yID=53&do=list
No one is even close when it comes to a lightweight, packable inflatable raft.
You get what you pay for and out in the backcountry far away from help, you better not risk your life in one of those cheap made in China jobs.

Purchasing a V-boat/Belly boat might be a cheaper option and there are several that weigh less than 9lbs.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Off the Beaten Path

If you buy one of those el cheapo plastic rafts and happen to spring a leak in it, make sure you bring a good size pump along to prevent going under. You could also attempt to orient the leaking air to provide you with some forward propulsion in order to make it back.

Don't laugh, this actually happened to me once after I sprang a leak in a PVC raft and I spent more time attempting to keep the raft afloat than in paddling back! If the leak is on a seam it's not repairable, as mine was. Nothing but garbage!!!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking,backpacking,camping all year round,paddling most anything,horseback riding,cross country skiing,snowshoeing,beach combing and most anything done out of doors!

Hi smac,

I had an inflatable advanced elements kayak and this boat is all anyone would need for an all purpose boat. At the time I lived in an apartment with very little storage space and I didn't have a car so this was ideal. It folded into a duffle bag and weighed 36 lbs. I got a small luggage cart that I could take it on the bus to wherever I wished! It was great because if I wanted to camp I could have my backpack on my back and hands free to manipulate the cart with kayak, paddle and gear. I had this boat on rivers, lakes and the ocean and it handles very well. The only downfall which is not really one because of it's stability is that in rough water it is more of a struggle to paddle. It is flat bottomed which makes it a bit more sluggish in rough water (not white water in a downstream situation but rough lake or ocean water).

Jacqueline
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

If you are serious about a hiking packraft the Flytepacker is the only way to go.http://flyweightdesigns.com/default.aspx

You won't find anything lighter and anything less expensive is not safe enough to take on a chilly alpine lake.

We'll have some photos up in a few days as they are featured in our next trip report.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page