any idea to keep the boots dry? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default any idea to keep the boots dry?

i have a pair of La Sportiva Glacier Evo boots (bought this April). But since first time i wore it for my mountaineering trip, it's always wet at the end of first day. This is so annoying when i was doing multiday trips, the rest of the days i have to suffer the wet boots.

Every time i waxed boots beforehand. Noticed there are two pockets in front part of the boots which accumulate the snow, i even put some silicon to seal that part along with wax. that doesn't work well.

Some of my friend has the same problem even with brand new La Sportiva GTX (Goretex) boots. The first day they were both wet.

Of course we were doing some strenuous hiking/mountaineering (12 hr per day, 7-8 hrs on snow), but we are both experienced climbers. we put the gaiters on right from the trail head.

Looks like plastic boots (or go for those expensive $500-$600 boots like La Sportiva Nepal) is the only solution for me now.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Maybe your feet are just sweaty and you get condensation because your boots are covered in cold snow and they can't breathe because they are wet on the outside?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

thanks for the reply.

First thing my feet are not sweaty usually. Second thing is the "wet" i am talking about here is not just "damp", is totally soaked. Worst time, i can even pour the water off my boots.

i had Scarpa SL5 boots which i used 5 years and never gave me problem like this. (they are not even GTX or mountaineering boots)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

It's possible that your boots are defective then. I have La Sportiva Trango S Evo Gtx boots that are a few years old and are actually somewhat notorious for leaking, but I have never gotten wet feet in them. Even without the gore tex, your boots are supposed to be fairly "waterproof" so it sounds weird. Unless maybe something odd you did while treating them caused problems? Did you get them very hot or something?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

My friend's brand new La Sportiva boots are actually the same as yours :P and they are leaking!

i babied my boots from very beginning since i just bought it couple of months ago. And honestly, the quality of this boots is really not like what i expected. It's so-called Glacier Series but i found the layer is very thin and i feel my toes are freezing on snow even with dry boots.

i just sent a email to La Sportive to see what they say. But truly i won't buy La Sportiva boots any more.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Yeah, obviously your mileage may vary, but for me these are the best boots I've ever owned... mostly because they keep my feet so dry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page