Suunto X6HRM battery replacement - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.
Default Suunto X6HRM battery replacement

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the back cover off my Suunto and wondering if anyone who has one (or a similar model) has figured out the magic way to get it off. I've replaced it before, but it would seem that it doesn't want to come off this time. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LongShadow

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the back cover off my Suunto and wondering if anyone who has one (or a similar model) has figured out the magic way to get it off. I've replaced it before, but it would seem that it doesn't want to come off this time. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
I haven't hard a hard time getting one off, but if you have a hard time getting it back on even with the new o-ring, throw the one you were trying out and get a new one, I had one that was replaced only due to the good will of MEC. Got foggy inside then the screen was destroyed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, photography, computers, yoga and traveling.

Going to sound crazy, but I have 2 of them and they both have the same issue!

Does MEC carry the newer style backs and replacement tool?

I read online in another guys blog that he drilled holes in the old one and used the tool to get it off, before using the new back.

What a PITA

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Your problem is having to replace the battery in the first place.

The one i have:

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ct/PAW1300-1V/

Solar Recharging watches for the win.
I had my older one for three years and never changed the battery.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

My battery started working again so I didn't worry about it, but then flaked again. So it was time to operate.

Here's a way to remedy the situation for those who may be experiencing the same issue.

1. Go to MEC and buy the "kit". It comes with a new battery, a new backing, and a replacement tool. The backing is different from the old one as it also has two small holes that the tool can fit into.

2. Get the tool out and wet the ends of the tool. Touch the back of the watch to make little wet spot markers. For mine, I did it in roughly the same positioning as the new back.

3. Get out your drill and use a bit similar size to the new backing. Carefully drill out the old backing. You won't wreck the watch if you're careful - just stop when you hit the battery.

4. Use the tool to pull off the old back - wow worked great!!!

5. Install new backing and toss that other piece of crap backing in the garbage. Voila!

The kit is a little more expensive than just a battery replacement, but well worth it!

Hope that helps anyone else who may have been having a similar issue.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

BTW, when I talked to the MEC guy about it he wasn't sure it was the "best" idea. So he gave me the number/address for the Suunto repair depot for Vancouver/Lower Mainland. Here's the info:

Suunto - Langley
604-533-7848
5760 Production Way

Really though, this was easier than screwing around at a repair depot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page