Can I get some help picking a 2-p 3 season tent? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)
Default Can I get some help picking a 2-p 3 season tent?

I like MEC, so these were my go-to picks:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1269916659333

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1269916911074

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1269916449117

What I like about them all:

* Highly waterproof
good venting, looks like.. on the Tarn 2 especially..

* lots (50+)of positive reviews from MEC members (none of them are new kids on the block and thus untested)

* They're relatively light and inexpensive (not worth the extra $$$ for SUPER LIGHT)

* all have bug mesh (priority 1)

But if you had to pick ONE....

Which?

Is there another tent in this price range I'd be a fool not to look at??

Thanks!

PS

How important is a footprint?

If you can make a spot nice and soft (grass, leaves, pine boughs, etc), do you need the extra bulk and admittedly minuscule extra weight?

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Well, between those three, I personally would rule out the Tarn first because of its lack of two entrances.

Then between the Wanderer and the Gemini, I would choose the Gemini because it is nearly a kilo and a half lighter. The Wanderer is meant to be more of a paddling tent rather than a backpacking tent; for its extra weight, it is quite a bit roomier. Also, I believe MEC makes a Wanderer that is nearly all netting, which reduces its weight and will have the best venting of the three.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Creation vs Evolution

Would definitely consider the MSR Hubba Hubba although $329
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Tarn 2 is a good one-man tent. Too small for two people. Tarn 2 also has condensation issues. I bought it because it's a bomber tent with a lower profile, better in high winds. The smaller volume also means it warms up faster. I use it as a one-man tent.

The new MEC Camper 2 has two entrances, two vestibules, and it's only $125.00. Lighter than the Tarn 2, and it really does have room for two. Not as tough, though.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: photography, craft beer

I bought the gemini last summer after much tent debate as well. It actually wasn't my first purchase. I bought a big agnes tent from mec but after using it on a trip I decided it wasn't quite what I wanted, took it back to mec and got the gemini and haven't looked back since. One neat thing about it is when inside, the mesh panels give the illusion of a much bigger tent.

I always use a footprint, why risk it? Its not that hard to pack, fits right inside the tent stuff sack.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:I personally would rule out the Tarn first because of its lack of two entrances
What's the advantage of 2 doors? Escape hatch from bears? (gulp)

Quote:
quote:Would definitely consider the MSR Hubba Hubba although $329
Yeah, a bit pricey, and I think the only advantage is it's a wee bit lighter than the rest, which isn't a HUGE deal (I say now, having never hauled a tent on a long, long hike)..

Quote:
quote:Tarn 2 is a good one-man tent. Too small for two people. Tarn 2 also has condensation issues.
Yeah, there was a consensus there on those 2 issues, from the reviews.. Though I'd be using it more as a one person as it is, and the condensation issues were reported as minor..

Quote:
quote:The smaller volume also means it warms up faster.
Which would be a definite plus.. AND it sounds like set up is pretty easy..

Quote:
quote:The new MEC Camper 2 has two entrances, two vestibules, and it's only $125.00. Lighter than the Tarn 2, and it really does have room for two. Not as tough, though.
Hmm.. I DO want this tent to last more than one season..

Quote:
quote:I bought the gemini last summer after much tent debate as well.
What do you like about it, over other tents you've tried? Any faults?

Quote:
quote:I always use a footprint, why risk it? Its not that hard to pack, fits right inside the tent stuff sack
True.. True..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

My $0.02 worth...

The second door is more useful in the winter when there is a lot more junk in the tent and it is a lot harder to climb over people and dinners and piles of clothing. And in the winter I often cook in one vestibule and use the other as a door. For 3-season use I find one door + vestibule adequate.

I try to get 3-season tents as light and cheap as possible. That way it can be used for kayaking, biking, hiking, etc. The last one I bought was the MEC Merganzer (no longer sold?).

The footprint weighs only a few ounces and the flap in front also keeps sand and mud out of the tent.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:
The second door is more useful in the winter when there is a lot more junk in the tent and it is a lot harder to climb over people and dinners and piles of clothing.
Oh, well if that's the main reasoning behind a second door, I still don't think I'll need one..

A. I won't be using it in the winter.

B. I won't be keeping much of anything inside the tent. My pack with all my food will be up in a tree outside..

C. It's a 2 person tent that 90% of the time I'll just be using for myself.. No people to climb over.

I'm reading through the reviews again for the Gemini.. Seem to be quite a bit more significant faults than the other tents I mentioned..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

One thing about a second door - it allows the management of condensation better than any single door. Depending on where you trek, this may be a deciding factor.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:One thing about a second door - it allows the management of condensation better than any single door. Depending on where you trek, this may be a deciding factor.
Would both doors have to be open? ie. no bug mesh screen?

If not, then I don't get why a single door with a mesh window on either side wouldn't work just as well..
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

For example, the MSR Hubba Hubba. Double walled - mesh inner tent with bathtub floor and waterproof fly. You can leave the fly doors open at both ends and keep the screen doors closed and still prevent mile rain from coming in. If no rain just bugs, ditto.

If you are using a single walled shelter with one door, it would be helpful to have an opposing window backed with mesh for cross breeze. However, there are very few if any of these models current available.

Also remember that, all things being equal in terms of design, a smaller shelter will generally have a tougher time managing condensation than a larger shelter. The latter allows the condensation to disperse over a larger are, not accumulate, and not drip on you. A larger shelter also prevents you from necessarily rolling into condensed walls. Finally, a 2 person shelter always provides a minimal weight increase for a greater increase in usable space.

If you really want to push the lightweight envelope, have a look at www.tarptent.com. Two person, bug proof, waterproof shelters for 2 lbs. Single person for just over a pound.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Off the Beaten Path

<quote> ... My pack with all my food will be up in a tree outside.. </quote/>

Consider a bear-vault rather than trying to hang your food. I have never been able to hang a food bag that even a crippled geriatric bear could not have retrieved with the slightest effort. A bear vault weighs less than a pound, holds about one man-week of food, and is really convenient. They are also mouse-proof (an even bigger problem in my experience).
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

[quote]quote:Originally posted by dougz

[quote]
Quote:
Tarn 2 ... it sounds like set up is pretty easy..
If you buy it, set it up a few times in the house first with good lighting and lots of room. Not so easy as the Camper 2 with only two poles. The fly is a pain - You have to lock the fly tabs onto the frame in the right order or the whole thing winds up pulled askew. My first try took a good half hour for setup, readjusting and fiddling with it to get it right.

I agree about two doors being better than one, and if I was going to share the tent with someone else for more than 1% of the time, I would have bought the Camper 2 - cheaper, lighter and a better design. If nothing else, you don't have to climb over somebody in the middle of the night if you have to pee.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

The new MEC Camper 2 - Not as tough, though.
I'm not being fair - it's too new to have been properly tested and reviewed. It [u]looked</u> like weaker fabric in the store, and they're not as clear about the fabric weights, but I can't say it isn't strong enough. Besides, if it dies too soon, you always have the MEC guarantee.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Have to 2nd mtnview, the Hubba Hubba is a great 3 season for light weight and performance and will hold up pretty well even in a Bugaboos-style thunderstorm.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page