MEC IBEX 80 vs. Gregory Palisade vs Arcteryx Bora - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Having bought a medium Bora 40 when I should have bought a long I will say that the medium is actually pretty small. I'm ~5'9" and the load lifters on the shoulder straps are completely useless for me. When it's heavy and I try to drop the load on to my hips in just ends up on my shoulders. Of course this was many years ago so the specs may have changed.

It's a great pack over all but I wish I'd bought the right size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Summit Master

I bought the Gregory Pallisades because it was the only Harness that would not result in pressure spots on my left shoulder and feel comfortable for a whole trip. Load wise, It accommodates everything I need in a pack. That being said, I'm watching the harness carefully, because the stress points on the shoulder strap attachments marry/rivet a nylon plastic hinge joint to a metal frame and I would have preferred to see lightweight metal fastener joints there. Likewise down on the hip-belt attachment it's the same type of nylon/plastic joint. Zippers also tend to catch and get caught but not a big issue. The rest of the bag is designed very well and super comfortable.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I never measure people when pack fitting. I load it, get you into it, and then help you adjust it. I can then see how well the back pad fits you and where the harness is in relation to your shoulders. For packs with adjustable belt to harness distances, we might fiddle with that as well.

Some folks do use the measuring tape, but not using one is not a sign of incompetence.

My problem is that I work one 4-hour shift every other week, and stuff is moved on me! So, I just have to get people to bear with me while I look for the pack I had in mind. But, I get lots of returning member raving about the pack and fit I helped them with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I should maybe mention too that the Brio 70 I own is a standard, and the main problems it gave me on a 5 day trip carrying about 50 lbs were a sharp pain between the shoulder blades that grew steadily worse day after day on the trail. It just always felt like I could not shift enough weight to my hips, and the pack was pulling too much on my shoulders perhaps. However the deep bruises on my hip-bones indicated that it certainly was tight enough around the waist. Thank goodness I brought a lot of advil. The pack is pretty tough, but just not comfortable enough. I probably could have done a better job with adjustments, but it just isn't going to cut it.

Halifax - This is kind of what I felt with the Bora, but it was just barely the case. It definitely put weight on my hips, but it seemed like it was just barely long enough.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

The middle of the hipbelt should sit on the top of your hipbone.
You should be able to lift your leg to a 90 degree bend from your body and just touch the bottom of the belt. You definetly want the majority of the weight on your hips or like you have noticed your shoulders will die !

Good thing about Arcteryx Osprey and Gregory all the components are interchangeable. So you can stick with a medium waist on a tall pack.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Valhalla

Good thing about Arcteryx Osprey and Gregory all the components are interchangeable. So you can stick with a medium waist on a tall pack.
Huge advantage for me. At 6' tall with only 30" in the inseam, I'm all torso. So, in many brands, I wear a large pack, but I wear a 28-30 pant. Large size packs come with large size belts! My current Aether L has a S Bioform belt!
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cheffy

Someone helped me at MEC, but to be honest he mostly just answered some questions and helped with some adjustments while I loaded packs and walked around in them. He didn't even bother to measure me. Nice guy, but didn't really seem to into trying to fit me into a pack. He suggested the alpinelite, although I expressed weight wasn't a concern, comfort was the primary concern. I measured my back before I came, and decided to try the larger Bora. He agreed that if it fits it fits, but seemed a little skeptical.

I will try some ospreys at the Europe Bound shop the road some time. I prefer to purchase from MEC do to their customer satisfaction policies though. So far I am leaning to the Bora, but will need to pick up both, pack them up and walk for about 30 minutes to better evaluate them I think.
Valhalla Pure on Broadway carries Osprey and I would recommend them over Europe Bound for product knowledge and customer support.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Unfortunately I am in Toronto, not Vancouver, so my options for retailers are more limited.

Think I'll hold off until after xmas before buying a pack, no immediate need.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I just wanted to add to this thread that I picked up a Bora 80, and that I was totally wrong about my torso measurement - it is around 45 cm, give or take. I found that with the medium frame I had some problems with the waist belt though. I measure about 34" in the waist, depending on how bloated I am. The waist belt simply feels too wide - when centered on my illiac crest of my hips, the top pokes into the bottom of my ribs. I found that I had to cinch the belt so tight it actually hurt my abdomen, though if I took a little more on the shoulders it was better. Mostly the problem seems that the bottom of the pack kept sliding down and resting on my tail bone - not good. The lumbar pad needs more padding to fit my back better, and the surface material is too slick.

Will try out the size small hip belt and see if this helps more. Will also be considering some way to make the surface of the lumbar pad rougher to give it better hold.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I decided to get a Bora 80 in a short, and it seems to fit much better. Should have listened to advice then when bordering between two sizes, always go with the smaller torso.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Summit Master

I've also found with ArcTeryx to err on the short side. With most brands I use a "tall" or "long" pack, but in Dead-Bird, I wear a regular.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johngenx

I've also found with ArcTeryx to err on the short side. With most brands I use a "tall" or "long" pack, but in Dead-Bird, I wear a regular.
By that logic, arc'teryx sizes larger.

But, yes, I have also found arc'teryx to size some of their packs shorter than other brand size equivalents.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Still for sale? Sorry for the late reply... Was out hiking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page