Preview of the Osprey Kode 30 Pack - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Preview of the Osprey Kode 30 Pack

Hey Guys,

I just got the Kode 30 pack and posted some pictures on another site and figured I might as well share the information with the Clubtreaders here who are considering a new ski pack this winter.

It weighs 1440grams.

More pictures here:
http://www.leelau.net/Originals/misc...kode/kode.html

Main storage compartment with: Down jacket ( red bag ) Gortex Jacket ( blue ) Lunch ( Yellow bag) 500ml Thermos and 750ml water bottle.

Its tight, but I could get a few more small items inside.

View looking down the pack to see the compression system and how it covers zipper access to main compartment and avy gear pocket;

Inside of Avy Pocket with buckles done up:

Note you can fit a G3 320cm Avy Probe, which was tight in the Switch36 I had last year.

Angled Ski carry with axe:

This will be my first pack with the rear entry storage area. I agree there are a lot of zippers and attachments but this seems to be integral to the suspension and support.

The pack is light and fits well even with the skis on it.

I don't wear a helmet in the backcountry so won't be using the carry system there, but it could double as a carry for an extra jacket or rope.

I'll have a full review once the snow flies!

Sharon.

Hiking is ok when you can't ski or ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Oooh thanks for the info Sharon. I'm definetely interested in this pack but am leaning towards the 38 as I am almost always with an slr camera and an extra lens. I was thinking the 30 all along but my size L layers take up a good amount of space and like that I could probably get away with the 38 (41L in sz L) as a ski touring overnight (if staying in a hut)pack whereas the 30L wouldn't get me past day trips. I'll have to try them out in store and see if I could deal wit the 38 on a side country/resort day, though given the Olympics, I expect to spend less days at the local resorts this winter and more days on the skin track.

Look forward to a full review. I like that colour too, though it might clash pretty badly with my orange pants if the colours are off, we'll see.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hey SB,

If you're carrying an slr then the 30 might be too small.

I bought a smaller compression sack to make my down jacket smaller and that did free up some space.

I have used it once now and its pretty comfortable, have to get used to the different compartments though.

What the inside of my pack looks like:

This is my new down jacket and how small it will compress!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for the update, I definitely went ahead with the 38. That compression bag is a good call, I'll keep that in mind. I see the Traslin bro's have a pair of 30's too, all of our bags are orange, pretty ridiculous lol. Last thing I have to say is thank goodness for the gift of a snowbomb start to the season, last year it would still be a while until I needed my ski pack.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Nice backpack! I like it, only thing you didn't tell us is the price.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Cool pack! Just wanted to point out that overcompressing down shortens it's lifespan... smashes the structure of all the little feathers.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Nice pics, Sharon.

Another good product for the compression sac is the Sea-to-Summit Series. I've found them to be bomber and about 50% the weight of the OR sacs.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Quote:
quote:Just wanted to point out that overcompressing down shortens it's lifespan... smashes the structure of all the little feathers.
While that's true, it's also relative. Down lasts for a very long time.

It's also possible to have down products refilled, if necessary.

I stuff a -20 Marmot Couloir into a tiny compression sac for winter trips. It's seven years old and still works just fine. Just don't want to store it compressed...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Summit Master

She doesn't care. She'll just get another the next year because its a different colour or something
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LeeL

She doesn't care. She'll just get another the next year because its a different colour or something
lol. Whats the point in even getting out there if you don't look good doing it? jk
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LeeL

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by splitboarderlol. Whats the point in even getting out there if you don't look good doing it? jk
That and drinking beer afterwards!

And I agree with Mitch. I don't store it compressed. It's only compressed during the day when it's in the pack.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

If you are going to show off your nice backpack, least you can do is tell me the price range, and save me some googling . I like the looks of it, looks perfect for me.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I think I paid $185 CDN+tax for the kode 38 I'm still waiting to be delivered. I forget the price they quoted for the kode 30, but its widely online in America at $139 for the 30, $159 for the 38. So I'd guestimate about $160 or so. Valhalla Pure Mike care to comment?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page