sleeping bag choice - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM

I just recently bought a mec habinero -12 mummy bag.. I'm thinking it's overkill for three season use. I haven't used it yet and bought it on the advice of the employee that was helping me. Am I right to think I'll be sweating all summer? I overnight in alpine sub-alpine regions normally.

Derek j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM

I just recently bought a mec habinero -12 mummy bag.. I'm thinking it's overkill for three season use. I haven't used it yet and bought it on the advice of the employee that was helping me. Am I right to think I'll be sweating all summer? I overnight in alpine sub-alpine regions normally.

Derek j
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

If you're too warm, unzip and vent, and crawl on top. -7C is the warmest bag I'd use for the Rockies, and many of my climbing partners use -10 to -12C bags all summer.

The only thing about that Habenaro is that it's damned heavy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

You will be sweating whenever you are carrying around the Habanero.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Canoeing Back roads exploration in general I love \"me, the wife and the bush\"

Yes, you will sweat all summer.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:57 AM

Ha ha ha great! I guess I'll be using my old bag... It DID seem heavy!! Anybody need a warm sleeping bag?

I'm not sue why my computer like to sometimes put my posts on twice.. I'm sorry

Derek j
post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I ended up getting a MEC Pharoah -7C. I tried it out last night, I slept on our deck. It was 4C and I was comfy all night. I can see how if I had a -1C bag or similar, I would start getting a bit chilled at 4C. I figure this bag will be good up to about 15C at which point I would likely have the zipper all the way open.

I also bought a OR waterproof compression bag. It doesn't get the bag much smaller than the stock stuff sack. Compressed, the OR bag is about the same length as the stock stuff sack but the diameter is smaller. I would guess it's a 1.5L difference. Of course it's waterproof with straps for lashing onto things, so it should work for carry the bag outside of the pack if needed. I think I'll keep the compression sack.

s
post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

Smart move!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sluggo

I ended up getting a MEC Pharoah -7C. I tried it out last night, I slept on our deck. It was 4C and I was comfy all night. I can see how if I had a -1C bag or similar, I would start getting a bit chilled at 4C. I figure this bag will be good up to about 15C at which point I would likely have the zipper all the way open.

I also bought a OR waterproof compression bag. It doesn't get the bag much smaller than the stock stuff sack. Compressed, the OR bag is about the same length as the stock stuff sack but the diameter is smaller. I would guess it's a 1.5L difference. Of course it's waterproof with straps for lashing onto things, so it should work for carry the bag outside of the pack if needed. I think I'll keep the compression sack.

s
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I sleep comfortably spring to fall in the rockies in a -12 bag. On the warm nights of summer I sometimes open up the bottom and let a bit og air flow at my feet, but I've never been sweating. If need be, you can always open the bag right up. It gets cold when you go up high!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page