bivi bags - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Making gear, Customizing gear, Hiking about, Hammocking, Prospecting,Sasquatch Hunting, I also like to read

Looks good checksix, how did it manage out in the bush? WOuld lov to hear more about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FamilyGuy

Integral Designs makes the best and widest range of bivvies available. Why the best? Because they use eVent fabric. I have used eVent on the Wet er West Coast of Vancouver Island with zero condensation. Unfortunately with Bivvies if you purchase cheap you will get cheap fabric. The key to any bivy is what it is made out of because ventilation is inherently minimal by design.
ID seems to have a great reputation, but there are some other manufacturers using event as well like MSR and RAB.

Regarding that REI bivy, I was looking at that a couple years ago and nearly bought it, the price and weight are fantastic, one thing that held me back was that I don't think they have any protection (other than bug) over the face! So that's poor, though I think I read of one reviewer saying he just put his WP jacket over his face if it came down heavy.

Also, IF you were planning to use it for snow caves or under a good tarp, you might be able to get away with one of the new, superlight, Bivy's that aren't waterproof. I think OR and MH have ones like that, among others. I think some of them are also quite cheap!

A lot of people I've talked to really love Outdoor Research Bivy's also.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

MSR? Really? From what I understand they have one bivy that is made out of silcon impregnated nylon which is not breathable.

Including RAB, Exped (i.e. related to Outdoor Research) has eVent bivvies available in Europe.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCIPHER

Quote:

Integral Designs makes the best and widest range of bivvies available. Why the best? Because they use eVent fabric. I have used eVent on the Wet er West Coast of Vancouver Island with zero condensation. Unfortunately with Bivvies if you purchase cheap you will get cheap fabric. The key to any bivy is what it is made out of because ventilation is inherently minimal by design.
ID seems to have a great reputation, but there are some other manufacturers using event as well like MSR and RAB.

Regarding that REI bivy, I was looking at that a couple years ago and nearly bought it, the price and weight are fantastic, one thing that held me back was that I don't think they have any protection (other than bug) over the face! So that's poor, though I think I read of one reviewer saying he just put his WP jacket over his face if it came down heavy.

Also, IF you were planning to use it for snow caves or under a good tarp, you might be able to get away with one of the new, superlight, Bivy's that aren't waterproof. I think OR and MH have ones like that, among others. I think some of them are also quite cheap!

A lot of people I've talked to really love Outdoor Research Bivy's also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

MSR? Really? From what I understand they have one bivy that is made out of silcon impregnated nylon which is not breathable.
Oops, maybe I am wrong. I thought I had recently read some posts or comments discussing the MSR, but when I look now, I only see the silnylon model! I couldn't find the original discussion I read, but I am starting to think that maybe they were confused by the "e" designation. I only recall noting it because it was such a ridiculously cheap price for event!

Anyways, didn't see the product now, in a quick google. Thanks for the correction!

post #20 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Oh no problem. I spent 30 minutes doing internet research looking for an MSR eVent Bivy bag. I wish they would make one!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Oh no problem. I spent 30 minutes doing internet research looking for an MSR eVent Bivy bag. I wish they would make one!
Particularly if they could make one for 80$!

lol, sorry to send you on a wild-bivy chase. My google search did turn up a Big Agnes event bivy by the way, though I didn't look into it at all.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Ha!

The Big Agnes Bivy is like the Integral Designs Unishelter - it is more of a bivy shelter than just a simple overbag. But yes - eVent.

I did contact Outdoor Research about what the Exped eVent bivy would cost to get into Canada. It has a full zippered (removable) bug netting. Price? $345USD. Yeouch.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:12 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Ha!

The Big Agnes Bivy is like the Integral Designs Unishelter - it is more of a bivy shelter than just a simple overbag. But yes - eVent.

I did contact Outdoor Research about what the Exped eVent bivy would cost to get into Canada. It has a full zippered (removable) bug netting. Price? $345USD. Yeouch.
LOL. You draw the line there eh? NOT a real bivy damn it!!!

345 US! way out of my price range I'm afraid. This year,because of semi-voluntary desperate financial straits I'm just going to duct tape two garbage bags together. But I'm going to splurge and buy the extra duty Glad's with stretch technology!

post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Ha. No I don't draw the line there but with the newer shelters now providing more room with similar weight, some of the bivy shelters may not be the best choice for most conditions (I still love my Unishelter, however). I admit that there is something really simple and honest about just an overbag - I guess it is the most minimalist shelter that one can use next to a tarp. Having said all that I have too much gear.....
post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hitchhiking

Looks good checksix, how did it manage out in the bush? WOuld lov to hear more about it.
Haven't used it yet, waiting for the snow to melt here. Ive put my sleeping bag in it and theres lots of room and a nice big bug net (the full net option). On backpackinglight.com ive read lots of good reviews and seen lots of pictures. Can't beat it for the price!

Theres also the company owareusa which makes some nice bivys.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page