Lowa Baffin boots? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Default Lowa Baffin boots?

Any feedback on the Lowa Baffin backpacking boots (http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/Sho...egory=2&Type=M)?

I'm considering these against the Scarpa SL M3s and Zamberlan Vioz GTs and I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with these boots. I tried on a pair last night, but unfortunately they were a tad too big, so the shop has ordered me a smaller pair.

Cheers,
Mike B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

I don't own the Baffin, but I swear by the Banff, which is the slightly lighter but just as capable cousin. I have been wearing them for years, now on my second pair. I just had this second pair resoled for $70 because the upper is still in good shape after 4 years of hiking. I've used them on coastal hikes, bushwacking hikes, 20+ mile day hikes. I put Superfeet insoles in them and can go on and on. I tried on alot of boots but these seem to suit me just fine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I have pair with a bit over a year wear and won't hesitate to buy another pair although I might consider the Banff next time which I think skips the gortex (that model was not in stock when I purchased the Baffins) Fit was excellent right out of the box and broke in with very minimal drama. Only complaint, and its a function of shallower treads and perhaps softer rubber than my last pair, the sole will need replacing long before the boot wears out. In fact I would venture to guess you could likely put three soles on these boots before they would be worn out.

My previous two pairs were both Zamberlans which seem to fit me well (they are still in the rotation but more for work or urban hikes) The Baffins are way better boots than the Zamberlan Vioz GTs... better support and the Zamberlan Vioz have 'nubbies' on the edges of the sole that aren't stiff enough for edging on rock, they want to bend or roll. Great boots for hiking but didn't like them for scrambling as much as the Zamberlan Trek lite 2 which have a different sole.

I don't have any experience with the Scarpas.

FWIW I also use Superfeet in all my boots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I think I've found my boots....Lowa Banffs! I love the leather lining!

Just back from a lunchtime trip to the store and I grabbed a pair of Banffs. Unfortunately, the Baffins are sold-out until Spring 09. The other Lowa choice was the Terrano, which is more of a trekking boot instead of a backpacking boot.

While I was there trying on boots, the Lowa Rep was there. Very nice guy...we chatted for a bit.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 PM

You will love it

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...but, unfortunately, the Baffin won't be available until Spring 09....suppose I could wait, though

But, I've got the Banffs on now and love them!

Some quick observations...I love the leather liner! It's much nicer and cooler than the Zamberland Vioz's Gore-Tex. And, I just love the way it hugs and holds my feet!

The Banffs have a rubber rand. The Scarpas and Zamberlands don't.

I love the way they roll...much less clunkier than the Scarpa SL M3s, despite being nearly the same weight (Banff = 1635g vs SL M3 = 1669g). The SPS System seems to be effective.

The Scarpas have a full-length tongue gusset, whereas, the Zamberland Viozs and Banffs don't.

Both the Banffs and SL M3s have tongue eyelets, which I like. I find they help to keep the tongue in the proper position. A small detail that seems to work.

I'm going to be returning the Zamberland Vioz GTs tomorrow...after trying the Scarpas and Lowas, I'm just not a Zamberland fit. Nice boot, just not for me.

So, it's now down to the Scarpas and Lowas (http://www.pbase.com/onespeed/backpa...boots_20081119).

Cheers,
Mike B.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Very nice photos. I was wondering which boot you finally decided to go with and why? I am down to a similar decision, probably ruling out the zamberlan vioz GT like you did. I haven't had access to a pair of the Banff here in Toronto. I have a somewhat narrow heel, with a normal mid-foot width but wider toebox. I have a medium to higher volume foot. I liked the Scarpa, but found them a little narrow at the toe-box. I've also read the Banff tend to be a tad large.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 PM
CWF
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, travel, reading, movies, cooking, drinking wine, eating.

Cheffy,
Sounds like we have the same feet, so you should love the Baffins as much as I do. I've had mine for a year now and the fit is perfect, the break-in was very short, and they are showing very little wear even after the German Alps and two months in New Zealand.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I can vouch for Lowa's fitting right out of the box and not needing to be broken in. I am on my second pair of dayhiking boots but would dearly love to have my first pair resoled as the uppers are still very good. Any recommendations where to go - preferably out in the Valley? Thanks!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Scaling New Heights

I'm looking into Lowa hiking boots as well. I'm hoping to get the Lowa banff and found a really good deal.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-For-Men.html

I just need to try them on. Anyone know of a place in the valley (as mentioned above) or Vancouver that carries them? I've heard that the backpacker store across from MEC has carried Lowa and i'm going to see if they still do.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jaraldo

I'm looking into Lowa hiking boots as well. I'm hoping to get the Lowa banff and found a really good deal.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-For-Men.html

I just need to try them on. Anyone know of a place in the valley (as mentioned above) or Vancouver that carries them? I've heard that the backpacker store across from MEC has carried Lowa and i'm going to see if they still do.
WOW! thats an incredible buy, just wish my size was listed.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Valhalla Pure in Abbotsford used to carry some Lowa's, but you probably checked them out already.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Canoeing Back roads exploration in general I love \"me, the wife and the bush\"

You guys all praise the LOWA's. Does anyone have experience with Meindl?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm normally a size 10.5, and I tried on a pair of Lowa Baffin size 11 that were that last in stock at the local outfitter. They were way too long, the heel was very loose and the toes very constricted. I've heard several comments where people say to order a smaller size, I'd agree. I would consider buying a size 10 wide, but worried the heel would still too large, leading to slippage.

But they are so cheap at sierratradingpost.com!

Note- I just realised sierra trading post delivers to Canada through UPS. This means you will definitely be charged GST/PST, and duty fees. In addition, UPS will charge you a brokerage fee, probably around $50-70. So these $130 Lowa boots after exchange (CAD today = $0.824 USD) plus shipping ($37 USD) will probably cost me at least $285+tax so $325. In other words, about the same as if I bought them here.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Not true. Have them shipped to either Package Express www.PackageExpress.com or Ship Happens, both in Sumas, close to the Abbotsford border. They will charge a $4.00 fee. You can then drive across the border, pick up the boots and wear them back to avoid paying GST and PST, or you can declare them and pay the taxes. In any event, there is no $50-70 brokerage fee that way and shipping is free!

The price at Sierra Trading Post is indeed unbeatable. I would agree that the Lowas fit half a size large (mine did, but I knew that from the website and ordered half a size smaller). I buy most of my gear on line to save money and have not had a bad experience.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page