Hiking Boots Suggestion - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Default Hiking Boots Suggestion

Hi everyone, I am a newbie hiker tired of hiking in my NB running shoes. My hike's have thus far never been more then a couple hours, pack is maybe around 10#. I am a pack rat and am expanding the pack with odd's & end's as I find them so pack will get heavier (trust me I have a list of things I want in it), eventually I would like to go on longer hikes when I get in better shape (damn desk job) and can convince someone to go with me. Friends all addicted to their 360's.

I am in the market for a mid cut waterproof hiking boot with a Vibram sole (from what I can tell this is the way to go) and would like your suggestions.

I have looked in a few of the stores but nothing has jumped out at me.

The mid cut Merrell boots that would probably meet my requirments like the Merrell Radius Mid WP that I have looked at use a webbing for lacing which I do not like, and feel makes them cheap looking.

I read some review's of the Scarpa Kailash GTX and am going to go to MEC to check them out. Does anyone know anything about them? Would they be too much of a boot for my type of hiking.

Is there any other brands in the $150-$200 that I should be looking at purchasing?

Any suggestions greatly appraciated, I am willing to spend more for quality if I can be convinced that they will massage my toes.

Dresden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 PM

hi dresden,
welcome to clubtread. just wondering what the problem is with using runners for hiking. is it the support or the type of terrain you're hiking on?

as for the scarpa, try the pair on with the type of socks you tend to use when hiking. also go in the later part of the day when your feet are a little swollen from being on them too long and if you got special insoles, don't forget them too. you might also want to try different brands that meet your expectations and get a feel. i've tried most brands and so far montrail seems to fit me the best for trail runners and hiking boots. all i'm saying is that the scarpa might not fit the way you want them to. good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

The following is solely based on my own experience:

Basically just try on as many pairs of different brands/styles as you have time for. Buy what's the most comforatable (in a boot). Brand-wise, I like Garmont, Scarpa, LaSportiva, and Asolo the most (Scarpas fit me the best, but it's different for everyone). Some people might tell you that you don't need boots, but I love them. Even for relatively easy hiking, I like a sturdy pair of boots to prevent the bottoms of my feet from feeling everything. Boots are also better for wet trails and they DO provide some ankle support that can reduce your chance of spraining your ankle. If you find a pair of boots that really fits you, they shouldn't need any breaking in. They should be comfy and blister free right from the start. This IS possible unless you have really oddly shaped feet.

Finally, I would consider not limiting yourself by price too much if you can (you have a desk job so you can buy nice hiking boots, right? ). I wouldn't pass on trying on a boot just because it costs $300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Definitely you can only get so far by recommendations because in the end your choice will be restricted to what fits you best. Having said that, here some of my thoughts:
1. shank/sole stiffness should be proportional to how tough your hikes are going to be. The more you carry, the rockier your terrain, the stiffer you might want the shank
2. boot durability trumps boot height (low to mid to high, doesn't matter much to me)
3. breathability trumps waterproofness for me. That can also vary according to the terrain. Maybe if most of your hiking is in continually wet conditions then waterproofness will be more important.

Although I haven't owned Scarpas, I think their design and build quality is excellent. I would have bought a pair of Kailash on the weekend if they had fit. I don't neccessarily think that a person needs such a heavy duty boot (some people like them even tougher!). I ended up getting a pair of Aku Genesis which I think are comparable to the Scarpas.

Keep in mind that I've hiked all over the bc rockies, purcells, westcoat mountains and trekked in Nepal all while wearing low cut Nike hiking shoes. This was back when they made a decent hiking shoe with a good shank. Add in some breathable waterproofness and the shoe would have be as good as a person needed. The Aku is built better and more heavy duty, but I have small kids now and I expect my pack weights to increase significantly

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

If you have a wider front foot I'd suggest Zamberlan backpacking boots, their soles are fantastic. I have a problem with rolling my ankles and they seem much more stable then others I've tried, ie:
Kootany 5's, Asolo, HI-TEC.
Good luck,
Lynn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I have a pair of Garmont Sherpas that I bought at MEC May 22 1997 and use them almost every day . I have wide feet and bunions and have never had a blister or sore spot from day one . ( Resoled once a year ago ). Recently bought Scarpa GTX`s and am happy with those as well .
Problem is by the time you realize you have got a really excellent boot they don`t make that model anymore ....

Wulf
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Thanks for the suggestions on boots for wide feet. I ended up purchasing Lowa hiking boots after failing to find anything at MEC that would fit properly. My Lowa's are super comfortable. Only complaint is the rubber above the sole is beginning to separate from the leather. This wouldn't happen if it was stitched.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: running, hiking, blading, camping, skiing, outdoors, spending time with kids, big hockey and baseball fan, board and card games

hey dresdon.. i was happy to see NB hiking boots at my local NB store.. soo cool! i am so tempted to get 'em cuz i have been running in NB's for years.. they're about 200 bux.. they felt very comfy.. but of course, for me, they all do until i start going up steep hills..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Dresden,
I've been really happy with my Asolo TPS520 boots.
Ultra cumfy, waterproof, stiff sole. Cut is a little higher than most midcut boots.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thank you for your responded and the great suggestions. I almost bought the Scarpa Kailash the other day but 45's didnt fit and they were out of 46's...

I will have to go there on the weekend during the day and check out all the stores around see what they got, it was late when I poped in...

Dresden
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Scaling New Heights

Just bought Scarpa Kailash boots from MEC, is this a decent choice of boot for approx $200?

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1212120081378

The sales guy said they were good boots, but I think he gets paid to say such things!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Ya know, I think Scarpa make a good boot, but the thing that bothers me about their boots is that little piece of webbing material that is used to form a lace loop. As it wears out I would be concerned about the webbing giving out and then having little or no support against your ankle to keep your heel pushed back. Has anyone had issues in this area? If Scarpa had put a metal or even plastic lace restraint in that position I would look at their boots as well.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by darrenbell

Ya know, I think Scarpa make a good boot, but the thing that bothers me about their boots is that little piece of webbing material that is used to form a lace loop. As it wears out I would be concerned about the webbing giving out and then having little or no support against your ankle to keep your heel pushed back. Has anyone had issues in this area? If Scarpa had put a metal or even plastic lace restraint in that position I would look at their boots as well.
Thanks for the reply darrenbell. Not too sure about how that lace loop will hold up, but I'll definitely be as gentle as I can when lacing them up.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

i'm on my second pair of Lowa Banff's, thats how good I like them. So comfortable and they stand up to rocks and other rough stuff very well. Probably a bit heavy for some but they work very well for me when I'm bushwhacking offtrail.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page