Q about testing stoves - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Q about testing stoves

I just boiled a litre of water with my old whisperlite international. It took just over 6 minutes for the water to boil. I started with cold tap water, poured into a largish I'm curious as to whether the stove's performance has dropped a lot, or if maybe 6 minutes isn't that unusual. I did the test inside at about 19-20C, at just a bit above sea level (400ft?).

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I believe all the "standard" tests use pretty ideal conditions, though I couldn't quickly find them online.

Probably they do it at 25C, starting with 25C water, using the windscreen, even inside, to reflect heat etc. Pressure in the fuel bottle probably matters too.

6 minutes doesn't sound so slow. They might have a better pot than you too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

that's what I was thinking. My stove looked like it was working good. Blue consistent flame, all the metal quickly turned bright orange.

Fantastic stove really, I've had it for about 17 years I think.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Whisperlite specs are as follows on the MEC website:
Boiling times for 1L of water - 3.3 minutes for 1L at 30psi (white gas) 7.2 minutes for 1L at 5psi (white gas) 4.3 minutes for 1L at 30psi (kerosene) 8.3 minutes for 1L at 5psi (kerosene)

Their statistics prove the pressure is a BIG deal.

Link to info:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1209600720241

PS: I Love my Whisperlite International! I had no idea a bit more pressure would change the results so much.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

oh ya, I forgot about that.
Check it out next time. Have the stove on full throttle then give it a few pumps. You'll hear the burner get noticeably louder.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Summit Master

Well I do know that it does make a difference in the flame, but I never expected it to be more than half boil times when pumped mega. Then again I dont like mine pumped up mega because I don't stay anywhere too long, I don't like carrying it pressurized in my backpack either. it seems you have to let it run to ease off the pressure (waste gas etc). I normally give mine about 5-8 pumps.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Collecting shoe boxes, trafficking sea shells, growing vegetables, and tracking the \"wood ape\" aka yetti

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Don't forget that you shouldnt really be burning them inside. Ever look on the bottom of stove packaging it comes with? It's got the California of Government warning stating that the fumes are known to cause cancer.

But I guess... ya know. that can be said for a lot of stuff. I thought I'd give you the reminder either way ---- ugh. I don't want to be an adult! You could try cleaning out the stove too Maybe it'll help?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, mountaineering, snowshoeing, snowboarding, AT skiing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Well I do know that it does make a difference in the flame, but I never expected it to be more than half boil times when pumped mega. Then again I dont like mine pumped up mega because I don't stay anywhere too long, I don't like carrying it pressurized in my backpack either. it seems you have to let it run to ease off the pressure (waste gas etc). I normally give mine about 5-8 pumps.
Aces, if you want to release the pressure, have you tried unscrewing the pump from the bottle? This will let the pressure out of the bottle (which I prefer before throwing it into the pack); I don't like carrying a pressurized cylinder of gas in my pack either.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by the743

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Don't forget that you shouldnt really be burning them inside. Ever look on the bottom of stove packaging it comes with? It's got the California of Government warning stating that the fumes are known to cause cancer.
Only causes cancer if you use it in California...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:

Aces, if you want to release the pressure, have you tried unscrewing the pump from the bottle? This will let the pressure out of the bottle (which I prefer before throwing it into the pack); I don't like carrying a pressurized cylinder of gas in my pack either.
I know what your saying but if you unscrew the pump with 30PSI inside she'll spray heh, won't it? therefore I let the pressure out before taking the pump off by running the stove. Only way I can let the pressure off is to run it til the pressure disipates, either with or without the flame...

post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Seems like a waste of gas to burn off the pressure. You can turn the bottle upside down so that the little tube that usually sits in the liquid is in the gas space before opening the valve. I usually just unscrew the top and keep it away from things I think it might damage.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 AM

This thread brings up an interesting question... is a stove more fuel efficient at the higher vs lower fuel tank pressure?
Half the pressure requires roughly twice the time to boil, but does that mean twice the fuel consumed as well?
Has anybody done the test?

fRog

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page