good stove for small family? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default good stove for small family?

I'm hoping to some small hikes with the family this year and could probably use a new stove for the 4 of us. I have a whisperlite international for 17 years and it still works pretty good. The downside is that I'm not sure it still heats 100% (maybe it's a bit clogged) and the pump is a bit finicky (even though I've repaired it). I also use to have a butane Gaz stove but I have no idea where it is anymore.

I'm thinking a new stove wouldn't have to handle high altitude and temperatures probably not below 10C. There are a lot stoves to choose from. Lightweight and small pack size is always nice but then it will be a compromise between that and a stove that can handle a decent volume (or maybe almost all the stoves are similar in this repect?).

All suggestions are welcome. maybe an alcohol stove is required...

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I go multi-burner for groups. No, not the Coleman stove used ofr car camping! I take 2-3 ultralight cannister stoves and 2-3 small cans of fuel. That whole set-up weighs about the same as one liquid fuel stove and can be cooking a whack of food.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

Along the same idea as Johngenx; you could take a canister/liquid stove that has simmer control and take a pop-can(or other model) alcohol stove for boiling water or dishes that don't require a lot of attention. Having two burners would be beneficial with multiple mouths to feed. The only real weight to an alcohol stove would be the fuel, and having a stove with simmer control can be handy for stews, soups and sauces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Right on, thanks. That makes good sense.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 PM

My vote is for trangia alcohol stove. I have the 25 series comes with windscreen, pots and burner. Never fail, good in wind, beautiful simmer control with the ring or without for full blast boiling. Best stove of any kind I have ever used or owned and always dependable. Not good for high elevation or really cold. I tested and used in sub-zero down to -5 deg C. and still boiled water in good time. The fuel is cheap too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page