#7 Nalgene bottles - anyone get replacements? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default #7 Nalgene bottles - anyone get replacements?

Hey all,

I just called Valhalla and confirmed that they also pulled the water bottles... (yes i'm a little late to the game )

anyone ever get their bottles exchanged for something else? Either from MEC/Valhalla/etc... ?

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Summit Master

I'm still going to use mine and I don't buy into this crap.
Maybe there would be a concern if I used it 24/7 & 365 days a year.

I've seem more harm done by people drinking beer

Please those of you that want to get on a soapbox....before you rant and rave about this study and that study look around your kitchen. Do you have a microwave or teflon fry pans ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 02:22 PM

As a former smoker for seven years (quit years ago though) it's tough for me to get worked up about this sort of thing. Sure it's a potential carcinogen, but so is cooking with a BBQ, margarine, the sun, smog, animal fats, fried foods, alcohol... you get the idea, it's a long, long list.

If there was an equal product (versatility, strength, hot/cold, etc) that was as good and not carcinogenic, I'd switch. In the meaning time though...

This doesn't help you much. If I were looking for an alternative, it would either be plastic pop/gatorade bottles (cost nothing) for cold liquids and possibly a Sigg bottle for warm. Sigg doesn't tell you what they use in their plastic lined bottles though, but I'd bet dollars to donuts if they did a study it'd be carcinogenic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

the old white Nalgenes that have been around forever but never became a trend are still sold, and useful. They are plastic #2 - which I'm sure has been linked to some cancer by some study, but hasn't yet created an uproar. You can't put your white plastic Nalgene in a boiling pot the way you could with the lexan, but other than that it's at least as good for all other uses. Even more unbreakable!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Collecting shoe boxes, trafficking sea shells, growing vegetables, and tracking the \"wood ape\" aka yetti

Yeah, sadly, I was one of those too. I know what you mean. Now I'm guessing all these bottles will just be landfilled.

Although... If it's for your kids, that's a different story. Then you should probably put it away, until the government releases more information on their studies.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NOntarioHiker

As a former smoker for seven years (quit years ago though) it's tough for me to get worked up about this sort of thing. Sure it's a potential carcinogen, but so is cooking with a BBQ, margarine, the sun, smog, animal fats, fried foods, alcohol... you get the idea, it's a long, long list.

If there was an equal product (versatility, strength, hot/cold, etc) that was as good and not carcinogenic, I'd switch. In the meaning time though...

This doesn't help you much. If I were looking for an alternative, it would either be plastic pop/gatorade bottles (cost nothing) for cold liquids and possibly a Sigg bottle for warm. Sigg doesn't tell you what they use in their plastic lined bottles though, but I'd bet dollars to donuts if they did a study it'd be carcinogenic
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I switched to number 2 plastic Nalgenes from the number 7s quite a while ago. I found the switch completely painless.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountaineering, Backcountry Skiing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Photography

The #2 bottles are 25% lighter than the #7 bottles. #2 plastic is high density polyethylene. It's literally in everything - pop bottle, milk jugs, etc etc. I believe it's one of the oldest and most widespread plastics. It's chemicall very similar to #4 plastic (low density polytethylene) which is in all sort of things like plastic wrapping and grocery bags, etc.

Personally I've switched to the HDPE nalgene bottles. I still have a few Polycarbonate containers and things that I've been meaning to get rid of.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:36 PM

What changed in my life due to these studies is that I no longer microwave anything in plastic containers.

Quote:
quote:I've seem more harm done by people drinking beer
I have been known to drink beer from my Nalgene bottle. That's starting to sound like very risky behaviour.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Scaling New Heights

Has anyone tried a bladder/bag type waterbottle? Its kind of like the bladder for a hydration pack but with a water bottle type wide mouth. I guess it'll sort of unfold like the bigger water bags and stands on its own. Just a thought.

I'm even more skeptical about the Aluminum water bottles. Just like in tin cans, they have a liner and if you dent the can the liner may crack and expose the Aluminum or tin (in cans). Once this gets into your food I'm guessing its pouched.

Do HDPE Nalagenes handle warm liquids well at all?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Yes. you can put hot drinks in them just fine. you just can't boil them the way you can with the lexan ones.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Love the outdoors. Trying new things. And at night......BOGGLE!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page