Exped Downmat 7 - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm a really light sleeper and I haven't noticed any pad-noise. Just the odd swish of my mec sleeping bag and that's it.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lupin

is the exped downmat a "quiet" mat?
I hated the big agnes for a few reasons but the main one being that any little movement made so much noise. Used once and returned.

i have the ladies thermarest too now. I don't care about the pink colour heh. It's my size, and it does the job well. =)
...haven't used it in winter yet.

I havnt noticed any noise. Seems quiet
post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seawallrunner

I've used my downmat with a blue foamy to insure that I would get a warm night's sleep in the winter. Indeed it's a great mat and I miss it a bit. I have a big agnes now, it takes 2x longer to inflate and it doesn't insulate as well as the Exped did.

My Exped Downmat degraded over time. I had mine for a number of years, - bought it when it first came out - and over time it developed an air leak. At first I would have to reinflate it every night before going to sleep - and that's fine. But eventually I would fall asleep on an inflated mat and wake up a few hours later in the middle of the night because I was lying on hard ground. So after a few frustrating bag nights I tossed it and got the Agnes.

so far so good. My downmat lasted me a number of years - it's a good purchase and once my Big Agnes mat bites the dust my next mat will be a downmat again.
First of all, I apologize for bumping up an old post.

Seawallrunner, did you ever find that air leak on your Downmat?

My Downmat is 3+ years old and it's developed a very slow leak which I can't seem to find. I've even submerged it in my bathtub but I can't seem to locate it. Like yourself, I'd sleep on the mattress and wake up in the middle of the morning lying on the base of my tent.

I'll try submerging it again (which is a little tough because of the volume of the mat) but if I can't find it, I may have to think about replacing it. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it from MEC so I can't return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Hey SpicyTuna,

I had the same problem with 2 of my Downmats, and replaced them both for FREE! OR has a great guarantee, the Infinite Guarantee, and will replace any of their products.
Simply go here - http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...or_return.html - fill out the online form and they'll send you the information of where to send it. Once they receive it, they'll ship you a new one. No questions asked.

PS: If it's one of their first generation downmats, there was a problem with delamination and they developed little micro leaks that could not be detected.

PPS: Here's the thread that I talked about doing this in - https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...hTerms=downmat
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
High on the Mountain Top

How could I miss that thread? I even posted in it. [xx(]

Thanks for the heads up Marc! I'll contact them asap.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

The problem with the early Exped mats (and Big Agnes had the same problem) is that those big fat mats need to have very flexible internal baffles so that you can sit on one end and not have the baffles blow out on the other end.

The initial adhesives used by Exped would allow microbubbles to be produced and eventually, the baffle would delaminate, allowing tiny holes to leak air. This was very frustrating to owners, as the leak was slow and virtually impossible to find or repair.

Exped created a new material and adhesive as soon as they figured out the problem. Not sure if BA has done the same, but I hope so.

The newest Exped pads have done away with the screw type valve and it looks like they've solved the baffle problem. Our trio of Exped mats have tons of night on them now, and they haven't leaked even a tiny bit.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Just to follow up, RMA's are now being handled by Exped at 866-326-4586 or via [email protected]

I just called them and obtained an RMA# along with a shipping address in Delta, BC.

Thanks again!
post #23 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by spicytuna

Just to follow up, RMA's are now being handled by Exped at 866-326-4586 or via [email protected]
oh, yeah, not distributed by OR anymore. Oh, and Exped gear is now a five year guarantee, not OR's Infinite one...
post #24 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking Kayaking Scuba Diving

Interesting about the reduced warranty period. I purchased two Thernmarest NEOAIRs and one is perfect; no leaks. The other had leaks similar to the ones posted here; micro-pinhole leaks that were undectectable. Returned it to Cascade Designs and they mailed me a brand new one in less than a week ! Gotta support these manufacturers that stand behind their products.
Andrew Klinzmann
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I am glad to see this thread re-ignited, because I have been meaning to thank those people like John, that praised Exped Downmat's.

A few years ago, I bought the first generation of Exped Mat, the kind that used the stuff sack as the pump. I couldn't even get the damn thing to work in my living room and thought "No way in the dark & cold". As well, a good friend had his deflate the first time he used it and slept a cold night on snow. We both sent our mats back and proclaimed them garbage to all that would listen.

Reading this thread convinced me to try the upgraded Exped Mat, with the pump integral to the mat body. I took it on a 4 day trip on Spring snow and once I dialed in the right amount of air pressure, I found the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on... Even better than my home bed.

I'm a convert, so thanks for the good advise.

Peter
post #26 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prother

I'm a convert, so thanks for the good advise.

Peter
Damn! I've been waffling, too. Now I'm going to have to buy one!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page