Nalgene bottles pulled from MEC shelves - Page 8 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Slightly off topic. While shopping at a health store to buy low chemical soap I ended up discussing about plastics, especially the Nalegene bottles.

The saleswoman said that anything made with plastic leaches or emits toxins. Even fleece clothing! Now, that may be going a bit far but then I have to consider the possiblity. She said that wearing fleece next to the body can cause chemical absorption into our system. Even wearing it away from the body, such as a coat, can cause emission of toxins into our breathing as we move and stretch the fabric.

Then I wonder about polyester and its other polymers.

But I love my fleece so I'll leave this for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Summit Master

I am going to double post here..from another thread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think all this is a bunch of Hype,and people are spending 30 dollars on 1 liter water bottles.
C'mon,have a look in your fridge and pantry.Yes,look at all that plastic,all that crap is wrapped and sealed in diffrent,perhaps unsafe plastic,look at your bread wrapper,your gatorade and milk cartons,other bottled water,your microwavable trays,jars of plastic,tin cans with plastic liners,microwave foods.
Then imagine the vapours you eat in fast food and restaurants.
But you will go to extremes to protect the city tap water from contact of the lexan bottle.

I have no doubts about the chemical bombardment we face everyday.
Perhaps,some people should not touch or buy or use,new equipment,buy new clothes,use detergent,soap,deoderant,eat out at all,use tapwater,shower with a cleansin agent,use the freeway,eat Chiliwack grown by the Freeway corn,Greenhouse foods,look at the sky,use a lawnmower,or sunscreen or sunlight,touch the glue on your AT skiis,use AT skies and or new boots,handcream,makeup,nailpolish/remover,haircolor,shampoo,sandwich bags,margarine,be on this computer,talk on your phone,go outside or inside,or your sleeping bag or regular bed.Your Pillow and that filthy toothbrush and whitening toothpaste.I could go on..really..
So whats the hype about the water bottle?
Sure it could be purer,lets hope it will happen.
I think too many are freaking out over something very minicule in their otherwise toxic lifestyle.Go ahead ,flame me.

post #108 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Dax
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Kayaking, Mtn Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, RC Flying, Computers. Collecting expensive backpacking gear.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra
So whats the hype about the water bottle?
:bowdown:

Well put.

Maybe if you are preggers you might want to skip the polycarbonate, and you might want to think twice about microwaving that plastic baby bottle. But drinking 1L of cold watter out of a nalgene bottle on a dayhike every other weekend is probably not going to kill you before something else toxic does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

I think that part of the issue might not be hikers/backpackers. I see young people with Nalgenes that drink from them 24/7.
post #110 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Summit Master

That explains the stoopidity of those punks.Its not the Booze or drugs,its the damn water bottles
post #111 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Headed for the Mountains

The stainless steel bottles I bought last week at MEC are sold out. But they've got these neat insulated stainless steel Thermos brand water bottles that comes with a narrow drinking top. It is good for water, ice tea, juices and sport drinks. But it's not recommended for hot liquids. It's 500mL and comes in red or blue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page