ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Gotta Love Gear (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/)
-   -   Bear banger: where to buy? (https://forums.clubtread.com/14-gotta-love-gear/2240-bear-banger-where-buy.html)

TrailBum 07-18-2003 07:58 PM

Bear banger: where to buy?
 
After seeing hiking_nut demonstration on how to use a bear banger, I can't stop thinking about getting one.

I would just like to know where you guys got yours? The trueflare website is not very clear on where we can buy those. They say that MEC carry their products, but I doubt it since MEC is against bear spray... (that's what one salesman told me)


Claire Bear 07-18-2003 08:06 PM

Hi,
I asked Hiking_Nut, he said he bought his at MEC, x6 for $20. I was wondering if Army & Navy had them also? No one seems to advertise they carry them, thats for sure.

C.B.


19351 07-18-2003 08:50 PM

Try Dave's Army Surplus in newwest on 6th I know he has them .Also most tackle shops carry them.

When I found the skull in the woods I immediately called the police , but began to wonder : Who was this person and why did he have antlers ?
You may also want to check out this thread as we had some thoughts about them a while ago.
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=660

Edited by - The Hiker on 07/18/2003 8:00:46 PM

Hodgeman 07-18-2003 09:52 PM

Check the prices at 3 Vets on Yukon, aorund the corner from MEC


bonk 07-18-2003 11:22 PM

Deakin Equipment on Powell Street sells bangers, signal flares & launchers. They even have a triple launcher!!! <img src=icon_smile_evil.gif border=0 align=middle>. Single pen launchers go for about $25.00 and a box of six bangers or six flares for $19.50. they have all sorts of outdoor safety equipment. I think these prices are about the same as 3 Vets and most surplus stores.

http://www.deakin.com/directory.cfm?CategoryID=19




Edited by - bonk on 07/18/2003 10:26:34 PM

Aqua Terra 07-20-2003 10:13 PM

Almost all camping-outdoor outfitter stores carry those items now.tru flare is a reputable brand.I use a combo of pen launch,six bangers,six signal flares in a pouch.paid 65$.I mainly deal with an outfitter in surrey Skyview camping


Hiking_nut 07-20-2003 10:56 PM

Aren't bear bangers fun !!! <img src=icon_smile_big.gif border=0 align=middle><img src=icon_smile_big.gif border=0 align=middle><img src=icon_smile_approve.gif border=0 align=middle>

I get mine at either MEC or Valhalla Pure.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda

Bearbanger guy 10-09-2004 01:51 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by TrailBum

After seeing hiking_nut demonstration on how to use a bear banger, I can't stop thinking about getting one.

I would just like to know where you guys got yours? The trueflare website is not very clear on where we can buy those. They say that MEC carry their products, but I doubt it since MEC is against bear spray... (that's what one salesman told me)


MEC carries it as well as pretty much all outdoor stores including ARMY & Navy and they have good prices to boot.

Bearbanger guy 10-09-2004 01:55 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Claire Bear

Hi,
I asked Hiking_Nut, he said he bought his at MEC, x6 for $20. I was wondering if Army & Navy had them also? No one seems to advertise they carry them, thats for sure.

C.B.


Okay watch for an up and coming online store that will be selling bearbangers, kits, bearspray etc. for hiking and personal protection I hear you will be able to purchase online and it will be shipped right to your door for the same price as you picking them up in the store. Great Idea.

explorer 10-09-2004 09:42 AM

I have a combo pen launcher with six bangers and six signal flares in a pouch. Cool thing but I have not field tested it yet. My was worth $ 50.00 and I got my up north in a hunting store.


Bearbanger guy 10-09-2004 10:24 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by explorer

I have a combo pen launcher with six bangers and six signal flares in a pouch. Cool thing but I have not field tested it yet. My was worth $ 50.00 and I got my up north in a hunting store.


Which hunting store?

seawallrunner 10-09-2004 01:56 PM

Bearbanger - this is a hiking site. This is not a site where you can collect marketing information or announce a new store.

You're welcome to stay if you are a hiker - but if you are here solely to promote your product and your store, please take your business elsewhere. So far, your 13 posts have focused only on bearbangers.

Sincerely, C Wall

----------------------------------------

Bearbanger guy 10-09-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by seawallrunner

Bearbanger - this is a hiking site. This is not a site where you can collect marketing information or announce a new store.

You're welcome to stay if you are a hiker - but if you are here solely to promote your product and your store, please take your business elsewhere. So far, your 13 posts have focused only on bearbangers.

Sincerely, C Wall

----------------------------------------

Just for your information sir, I do not own a store and am not interested in your problems. I just have alot of knowledge on these products and can answer question to help out members so the product dosen't get a bad rap, it's an excellent product. By the way who are u to be worrying what people talk about here is this your web site or something?

seawallrunner 10-09-2004 02:23 PM

first, I'm not a sir

second - this is a site about hiking. we have members here that work with Valhalla, and with MEC, and with other outfits. However, their posts are not commercials for their business. Their contributions to our site are many - they write about the hikes that they go on, the expeditions that they participate in.

Today you ask members to ask you questions about a product made by TRUFLARE. This is very much a commercial request.

You might want to hang around for a while and understand what topics people post about and ease into the community without being blatant about TRUFLARE. You will soon find out that direct commercial solicitations (unless they are in the buy and sell area) are frowned upon.

cheers - C Wall

Bearbanger guy 10-09-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by seawallrunner

first, I'm not a sir

second - this is a site about hiking. we have members here that work with Valhalla, and with MEC, and with other outfits. However, their posts are not commercials for their business. Their contributions to our site are many - they write about the hikes that they go on, the expeditions that they participate in.

Today you ask members to ask you questions about a product made by TRUFLARE. This is very much a commercial request.

You might want to hang around for a while and understand what topics people post about and ease into the community without being blatant about TRUFLARE. You will soon find out that direct commercial solicitations (unless they are in the buy and sell area) are frowned upon.

cheers - C Wall
To be perfectly honest with you miss, I am a Provinical Conservation Officer and I do alot of hiking and have vast knowledge about this product. I'll say it again I don't have a store and I'm not promoting anything.

Rain Man 10-09-2004 04:36 PM

although I have brought bear protection with me in the past I have found that after a few days in the rain my smell seems to be a much more effective deterrant:D. At least thats what I have observed from the last bear I ran into, for he took off like a shot! I can only assume it was because of my smell[:I]. Ha! I'm not too familiar with bear bangers, what if you overshoot and you spook him towards you?

Anon E. Moose 10-09-2004 05:37 PM

BBG,
If indeed you are a Conservation Officer, I welcome you and any of your insight you may have to offer. Welcome!

Please do not limit yourself to bear bangers. If you have other expertise and thoughts, please share if you can.

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 03:09 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Rain Man

although I have brought bear protection with me in the past I have found that after a few days in the rain my smell seems to be a much more effective deterrant:D. At least thats what I have observed from the last bear I ran into, for he took off like a shot! I can only assume it was because of my smell[:I]. Ha! I'm not too familiar with bear bangers, what if you overshoot and you spook him towards you?
Well run! No just kidding. Well you should also carry Bearspray for closer encounters, whistle and a horn. If you have more bearbangers on you you could fire another one in front of the bear. Generally though the first bearbanger fired will scare the bear away.

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 03:18 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Anon E. Moose

BBG,
If indeed you are a Conservation Officer, I welcome you and any of your insight you may have to offer. Welcome!

Please do not limit yourself to bear bangers. If you have other expertise and thoughts, please share if you can.
The expertise come from a 8 month study written into a report on the effectivness of the bearbangers and the public's knowledge about the product. Some of my conclusions were that 30% of the people in the field were not aware that there are 2 kinds of bearbangers (centerfire and rimfire) which only work with the formentioned launcher(s). Centerfire bearbangers with a centerfire launcher and rimfire bangers with rimfire launchers. Seventy percent of the outdoor stores in Canada carry center, but you should tell the retailer which launcher you have to ensure that your bearbanger works. And thank you for the welcome, just trying to be helpful.

Hiker Boy 10-10-2004 03:19 AM

So what's the big frigin deal? It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to use a bear banger. Expert on bear bangers? What's next, an expert on how to tie boot laces?...wait a second, boot laces are probably more complicated.

CMS sells also Truflare bangers and pen launchers for pretty much the same price as everyone else.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 03:33 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

So what's the big frigin deal? It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to use a bear banger. Expert on bear bangers? What's next, an expert on how to tie boot laces?...wait a second, boot laces are probably more complicated.

CMS sells also Truflare bangers and pen launchers for pretty much the same price as everyone else.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
You would be utterly amazed how many people I have run into that are confused about the difference between bangers and flares in the kits. Quite a few people have told me that a flare is the banger and vice versa. Do you know the difference between centerfire and rim fire genius? So Mr genius are u aware that CMS is selling rimfire which is not compatiable with center fire sold at MEC! New news to you eh. Are u also aware genius that at CMS there is a major problem with the products that involves "no warranty" because CMS is selling different namebrand launchers which voids any warranty on the bangers or flares. Just abit of information for you poo distriber as it say's in your profile.

Hiker Boy 10-10-2004 03:43 AM

As a matter of fact I do. Buy a launcher and use the matching bangers...once again, another no brainer. Just read the packaging.

You really are going to have to come up with a better game than this. CT might be a little too advanced for you.



----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 03:44 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

As a matter of fact I do...once again, another no brainer.

You really are going to have to come up with a better game than this. CT might be a little too advanced for you.



----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
CT?

Hiker Boy 10-10-2004 03:48 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Bearbanger guy
[CT?
Read the banner at the top of the page Einstein.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 03:50 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Bearbanger guy
[CT?
Read the banner at the top of the page Einstein.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Man your a real loser! Maybe you should re read the post about warranty pal. If you have nothing good say then keep your smart butt comments to your self instead of stirring up trouble. D.H.

Hiker Boy 10-10-2004 03:58 AM

First of all "I'm not your pal"

Secondly, Where warranties are concerned....Just to clue you in, CMS doesn't have the best rep here ok? Most of us shop at CMS for the convenience and the occassional sale, not for the stirling customer service they offer.

Thirdly, I couldn't give a damn if my launcher and my flares are made by two different companies, just as long as they work together...and whadaya ya know....they do!!!!!!

There have been many talks about bear bangers here in the past and Hiking Nut is definitely our resident expert. In the past, people here have gone out and practiced firing their bangers on Halloween night so as to not desturb their neighbors. Plenty have been fired off in the bush for practice on group trips as well. Anyone looking for a demo, basically just has to ask as there are enough of us carrying them. We hardly need a one trick pony who's main claim to fame so far is being a bear banger savant.

Selfpromoters are not welcome on CT...

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Anon E. Moose 10-10-2004 04:48 AM

BBG,
Sadly, there are some belligerent "old-timers" here who have trouble accepting newcomers. Do NOT let them bully you!

IMO, it's absurd to compare the operation of bear bangers and flares to the skill of tying laces. I would not be surprised to learn that a significant number of untrained owners freeze, fumble, or fail to properly deploy their device when encountering a bear. This takes training and practice to avoid shooting yourself or missing wildly especially if panic sets in, IMO.

Ursus International Conservation Institute says:
1. These are dangerous devices in the hands of the untrained.
2. If your shell lands behind the bear, it will drive it to you.
3. You have to practice beforehand and learn projectile trajectory.
4. Do not fire directly at the bear; aim in front and to one side.


"The banger launcher should only be carried and used by people confident that they understand its capabilities and limitations. It should be used to scare off a threatening bear, and it is also suitable to be used with other threatening wildlife. However, it is of paramount importance to bear in mind that to drive an animal off, a banger device should be fired in front of an animal, i.e. between it an a hiker, and that misjudgment, resulting in the banger landing behind the animal, will drive it towards the firer! Any user, therefore, should know how to control the range of the bangers. This is achieved through recognising that holding the launcher at a 45 degree angle gives maximum trajectory, or range, and that steeper or lesser angles reduce range. By firing at a steeper angle, the banger will effectively be ‘lobbed' up, coming down closer to the firer than it would if fired at 45 degrees. Similarly, if fired at a lesser angle, the banger will hit the ground closer to the firer than if fired at 45 degrees. The risk in this is that hitting the ground could possibly cause the banger to break up and not explode, whereas ‘lobbed', it will either go off in the air or after hitting the ground at falling, rather than propelled, speed.

The best advice is to test the launcher before use, even if doing so uses several cartridges. A user must understand the importance of preventing a banger from going off behind a bear, as that will push it towards the firer. In addition bangers should not be fired directly at bears (or other animals), because of their potential to cause injury; ideally, they should be placed in front of and slightly to the side of the animal."
http://www.ursusinternational.org/page1023324435.mv

It is ludicrous to compare the skill of operation of these devices to that of tying laces. If you were a sales person offering this advice to a customer, you would be grossly negligent, IMO. The safe transport and operation of these devices should be similar to that of a firearm, IMO.



Hiker Boy 10-10-2004 04:54 AM

Anon, given that you have demonstrated nothing better than the art of how to cut and paste, I take it all back...you could probably benefit from a three year program in bear bangers.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

First of all "I'm not your pal"

Secondly, Where warranties are concerned....Just to clue you in, CMS doesn't have the best rep here ok? Most of us shop at CMS for the convenience and the occassional sale, not for the stirling customer service they offer.

Thirdly, I couldn't give a damn if my launcher and my flares are made by two different companies, just as long as they work together...and whadaya ya know....they do!!!!!!

There have been many talks about bear bangers here in the past and Hiking Nut is definitely our resident expert. In the past, people here have gone out and practiced firing their bangers on Halloween night so as to not desturb their neighbors. Plenty have been fired off in the bush for practice on group trips as well. Anyone looking for a demo, basically just has to ask as there are enough of us carrying them. We hardly need a one trick pony who's main claim to fame so far is being a bear banger savant.

Selfpromoters are not welcome on CT..

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
I'm not playing games with you no more, your just a poo distriber! If you would like information on wilderness and conservation then just read, there is no need for smart comments. I am new to this and didn't mean to come over as promoting a product just have alot of experience with it and have heard alot of confussion about this in the field. If you were a real hiker you wouldn't be a smart azz and put up a real profile for your self J.O.

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Anon E. Moose

BBG,
Sadly, there are some belligerent "old-timers" here who have trouble accepting newcomers. Do NOT let them bully you!

IMO, it's absurd to compare the operation of bear bangers and flares to the skill of tying laces. I would not be surprised to learn that a significant number of untrained owners freeze, fumble, or fail to properly deploy their device when encountering a bear. This takes training and practice to avoid shooting yourself or missing wildly especially if panic sets in, IMO.

Ursus International Conservation Institute says:
1. These are dangerous devices in the hands of the untrained.
2. If your shell lands behind the bear, it will drive it to you.
3. You have to practice beforehand and learn projectile trajectory.
4. Do not fire directly at the bear; aim in front and to one side.


"The banger launcher should only be carried and used by people confident that they understand its capabilities and limitations. It should be used to scare off a threatening bear, and it is also suitable to be used with other threatening wildlife. However, it is of paramount importance to bear in mind that to drive an animal off, a banger device should be fired in front of an animal, i.e. between it an a hiker, and that misjudgment, resulting in the banger landing behind the animal, will drive it towards the firer! Any user, therefore, should know how to control the range of the bangers. This is achieved through recognising that holding the launcher at a 45 degree angle gives maximum trajectory, or range, and that steeper or lesser angles reduce range. By firing at a steeper angle, the banger will effectively be ‘lobbed' up, coming down closer to the firer than it would if fired at 45 degrees. Similarly, if fired at a lesser angle, the banger will hit the ground closer to the firer than if fired at 45 degrees. The risk in this is that hitting the ground could possibly cause the banger to break up and not explode, whereas ‘lobbed', it will either go off in the air or after hitting the ground at falling, rather than propelled, speed.

The best advice is to test the launcher before use, even if doing so uses several cartridges. A user must understand the importance of preventing a banger from going off behind a bear, as that will push it towards the firer. In addition bangers should not be fired directly at bears (or other animals), because of their potential to cause injury; ideally, they should be placed in front of and slightly to the side of the animal."
http://www.ursusinternational.org/page1023324435.mv

It is ludicrous to compare the skill of operation of these devices to that of tying laces. If you were a sales person offering this advice to a customer, you would be grossly negligent, IMO. The safe transport and operation of these devices should be similar to that of a firearm, IMO.



Finally some intelligent feedback for this forum! Thanks you. Will keep you posted when I'm in the field on any problems, confussion or anything related to bearbangers, bearspray etc. Keep you posted. Great piece of infromation, you are an intelligent individual with a respectful nature unlike HIKERBABY!(aka Hikerboy)

Bearbanger guy 10-10-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

Anon, given that you have demonstrated nothing better than the art of how to cut and paste, I take it all back...you could probably benefit from a three year program in bear bangers.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
I don't understand you, I am offering factual information and you have nothing better to do with your time like "hike" then put up smart azz comments."GET A LFE HIKER BABY"(aka hiker boy)

Matt 10-10-2004 02:13 PM

I've only had to use a bear banger once, and even then it probably wasn't neccessary. The bear was already taking off, but I fired one off for good measure.

I would just keep a bell attached to your pack, and have a whistle (which you should have anyways). Your better off preventing an altercation than trying to end one once it starts. Half the time I just leave mine at home. I've heard or bear bangers going off in the pack. I've also read that bears can associate the noise with a source of food because of hunters that leave animal entrails behind.

I'm absolutely positive that bearbanger guy is going to tell me I'm wrong, but I figured I would share my own opinion with the group. With the way he's praising them you would think he had an epiphany or something.

sourdough 10-10-2004 03:11 PM

BBG, I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and (for now) will believe your story that you do not have a commercial interest in your posts. However, I have to say that it does sound like you do but i've probably made a few mistakes when I first began posting as well. Anyhow, you might get a little less heat if we knew a little bit more about you. Where do you like to hike? Where have you gone this summer? tell us something other than about bear bangers once and a while.

As for bear bangers, I have never felt the need to go and get some. I have come across few bears but have managed to defuse the situatio and never really felt like I was in major trouble. Maybe i've been lucky so far but as of yet I have had no desire to buy some (although they sound like a lot of fun for Hallowe'em :))

Hiker Boy 10-10-2004 06:11 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Bearbanger guy
"GET A LFE HIKER BABY"(aka hiker boy)
Wow, now that was clever. doh, I have never heard that one before....[:0]

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Dru 10-10-2004 06:40 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Bearbanger guy
If you were a real hiker you wouldn't be a smart azz
Demonstrably not true!http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threa...mlins/moon.gif

exscape 10-11-2004 10:42 AM

hehehe... can I play too? [:X] http://mindscraps.com/s/contrib/edoom/Lurking.gif

BBGuy. Hikerboy is a much a hiker as you are a sales pitch.
(....and a sales pitch with astoundingly horrible grammar to boot. I certainly hope you use other mediums to promote.)

The point is plainly this; you break the rules on CT when you post for shameless (and not not even close to subtle, self promotion.) Hikerboy et al are simply calling you on it.

Sorry man, I calls em ~ as I sees em.

----------------------------------------
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Hiker Boy 10-11-2004 11:22 AM

I wacked at the goof on the other thread...your serve again....;)

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Bearbanger guy 10-11-2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

I wacked at the goof on the other thread...your serve again....;)

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Now thanks to your great welcome and getting your little gang banger buddies to gang up and post attacks I will not be using this wonderful Hiking Forum anymore to share my experiences from the field anymore, I hope your happy Hiker boy and I will not be telling anyone about this site because any new people will just be attacked with rude comments and provoked into a fight thanks to great members like Hiker boy and a few other rotten apples. If you think you know all Hiker boy then have fun relaying actual information with regards to other peoples experiences. To those of you that were interested in all types of things to do while hiking,camping, and important informationn about products that we research in the feild, I'm sorry that I will be unable to participate. A few goofs like Hiker boy ruin it for others that have valid interests and want knowledge. Sorry to all if I came over as a store or seller that is not what I am and I'm not a teacher either so excuse my grammer. Thank you bye!

Hiker Boy 10-11-2004 01:59 PM

Somehow I think we'll all survive.

Hey BBG, don't let the virtual door to CT (That's Club Tread just in case you still haven't figured it out yet), hit you in the @ss on your way out. :D


----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"

Bill the Bear 10-11-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

quote:To those of you that were interested in all types of things to do while hiking,camping, and important informationn about products that we research in the feild, I'm sorry that I will be unable to participate.
I would not like to see you go but it does appear you are selling stuff. If that is not the case post some other stuff for people to see.I would like to know how you guys think and how I can avoid you in the woods.
If it was up to me bear bangers would be banned [V]
How would you like it if you were walking around your yard munching on a snack , when some goof shows up screaming " Human, Human " Thern they chuck a rock at you and fire off an explosive at your butt. you would get the hell outta Dodge too !
I think you guys are nuts :(
We never had this problem when the natives came for a visit.
To you sir and your kind I have one thing to say when it comes to bear bangers
https://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/31000/31783.jpg

----------------------------------------
Yes, we do poop in the woods.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome