Bear banger: where to buy? - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:24 PM

Thanks all for the fascinating lunch-time entertainment to pep me up after the holiday weekend. As a fairly new member myself, I'll opt out of this passionate exchange.

Without taking sides, I only wish to comment that I have found this to be a wonderful forum with great sharing of information, and that in all my posts so far I haven't ever been attacked, and the only time I read an angry exchange like this before was a string where some deadbeat was trying to sell treasure maps to a plane crash site.

Perhaps a naive comment, but maybe in the future we could find a kinder way to chase off salespeople...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:49 PM

I just found it really comical that he just wouldn't give up and confess or quit with the sales pitch. worst salesman ever.
post #48 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ThreeStones

Perhaps a naive comment, but maybe in the future we could find a kinder way to chase off salespeople...
salespeople are spammers. being nice doesnt work. what we really need is a "spam banger" we can fire off at them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

As a salesperson I take offence to that....NOT.

Unfortunately there are those in my profession that make a bad name for us all.[V] This guy seemed to be the type, quite lacking in the tact and integrity depts.

Oh well, what is one to do? The longer you stay with a forum the eaiser it is to recognise spammers. Take a look at Mr BBG's profile and you'll notice every post revolved around that "product". You'll also discover him mentioning a "new website coming soon...." (details forthcoming) where one could purchase online. In my opinion they are they(spammers) are pretty much the parasites of the sales world. If someone wanted to "pitch" the CT community, the only way to do so with integrity would be to approach the webmaster first. It seems our friend did not care enough to do so.

PS not to worry, I don't pimp outdoor related "products" so you're all safe with me.......... or are you???? BWAHAHAHAHAhA![)][)]

----------------------------------------
What would scooby do???

post #50 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

posted as BG again!

Yeesh! Now you can all officially call me sneaky, conniving, underhanded and......(add your own adjective here)
post #51 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

What a sneaky way to elevate your post count towards the coveted 5 star status [:0]

Have you guys considered a common user name like David&Karen have []
post #52 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

Oh well, what is one to do? The longer you stay with a forum the eaiser it is to recognise spammers. If someone wanted to "pitch" the CT community, the only way to do so with integrity would be to approach the webmaster first. It seems our friend did not care enough to do so.
All very true....I'm glad there has been some concensus on this issue...Sometimes it's hard to play the bad cop.

Just wondering, does anyone think emailing TruFlare about this guy will do any good?

"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
post #53 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Have you guys considered a common user name like David&Karen have []
I have, only we started out on CT as seperate entities and others have gotten to know us as such as well. It was once suggested we merge and call ourselves "ScapeGoat"[B)] or "Billyscape" and billyscape kinda stuck a bit[:I]

Who knows, maybe someday..could be fun

Quote:
quote:All very true....I'm glad there has been some concensus on this issue...Sometimes it's hard to play the bad cop.

Just wondering, does anyone think emailing TruFlare about this guy will do any good?
No problem HB... and it seems as if someone signing in as a TruFlare account rep has posted to attempt to set the record straight and Although some of sentence structure still leaves me feeling a bit skeptical [)] I'll take that for now.
post #54 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Im a bit skeptical and a bit confused.(with regard to the trueflare sign in, looks like a third party was contacted to intervene)
I found BBG to be rather aggressive very quickly (I was away on the weekend and came home and read this).

But, aside from all that...

Id like to mention to newcomers not to let threads like this dissuade you from sticking around, just because members have a bunch of stars under their names it doesnt mean they spend their time bullying or chasing new people away. You will find them most welcoming and willing to share many pearls of wisdom to those who are new to hiking/backpacking, or if the case just willing to get out and meet new company
After a while it is easy to recognise those that post just to get entertainment out of seeing other people be irritated (aka trolls), and those who deliberately post to promote sales. Neither is tolerated here, and its usually those who have been around here for some time who speak up, because they feel strongly about maintaining what is a fun community to belong to.
I suggest watch for a while, and soon enough you will learn who is who and what they are about (all good )
post #55 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Quote:
quote:.Sometimes it's hard to play the bad cop.
True..there are a few of us who tend to be quite aggressive, and perhaps overly aggressive at times towards people who try using C.T. for sales purposes, or for something other than what it is meant for. I seem to remember we had someone awhile back who tried promoting a dating service of some kind. Such posting needs to be nipped in the bud quite quickly, and some of us have taken it upon ourselves to see that such posting stays off Club Tread.
We may look like the bad guys in doing so, and unfortunately at times it's only strong words that will have any impact on the thick skulls that some of these salespeople have. It's because we care for the importance of Club Tread to stay true to what it is is why people like Hiker Boy and others react so quickly and aggressively.

What would scooby do???

post #56 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Summit Master

I also would like to clarify my position on the whole matter.

I'm in 100% agreement regarding the people trying to sell stuff. It should not be done or attempted without Longshadow's direct input and approval. Period.

However there are ways to discourage this without being demeaning or derogatory. Nothing personal, HikerBoy, but saying things like "I whacked the goof...." is only a simple insult, and if I happened to be a new user wanting to post a question and that was the first thread I logged onto, then I think it would discourage me highly from participating in the forum. I had no problem at all with your other posts on this subject, nor the posts of SeaWall, BG or Exy. Statements like that not only discourage new users but also reflect badly on yourself and the remaining membership.

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that you and others are willing to take the job of 'bad cop', and weed out these people before they have much of an impact. It's a job that needs to be done.

'Nuff said.

post #57 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Summit Master

I accept the criticism in the spirit it was given. Perhaps I was a little overzealous? OTOH, after recieving hate mail and publically being called a liar, I was understandibly a little irritable. Believe me I was thinking of words far more potent than "goof" at the time! LOL I admit whole statement was a little stupid but was intended in jest....perhaps a lesson to be learned for newbs, is to read the whole thread rather than judging it by one post?

"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
post #58 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I tell ya' go away for one weekend and the whole place explodes. LOL!
Sounds like those who didn't get out this weekend managed to keep themselves entertained. LOL!

"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."
Dave Barry
post #59 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:salespeople are spammers. being nice doesnt work. what we really need is a "spam banger" we can fire off at them!
I may just work on that one tonight.

"No Trail is Long with Good Company"

post #60 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

While we're on the topic of bear bangers... what other brands are there besides Truflare? And where can you purchase them? Truflare is the only one I have heard of.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page