Bear banger: where to buy? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada.
Interest: hiking gardening hiking woodworking hiking cooking/baking hiking fishing hiking bushwacking rock climbing did I mention hiking?
Posts: 27
Default

although I have brought bear protection with me in the past I have found that after a few days in the rain my smell seems to be a much more effective deterrant. At least thats what I have observed from the last bear I ran into, for he took off like a shot! I can only assume it was because of my smell[:I]. Ha! I'm not too familiar with bear bangers, what if you overshoot and you spook him towards you?
Rain Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 05:37 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 398
Default

BBG,
If indeed you are a Conservation Officer, I welcome you and any of your insight you may have to offer. Welcome!

Please do not limit yourself to bear bangers. If you have other expertise and thoughts, please share if you can.
Anon E. Moose is offline  
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:09 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rain Man

although I have brought bear protection with me in the past I have found that after a few days in the rain my smell seems to be a much more effective deterrant. At least thats what I have observed from the last bear I ran into, for he took off like a shot! I can only assume it was because of my smell[:I]. Ha! I'm not too familiar with bear bangers, what if you overshoot and you spook him towards you?
Well run! No just kidding. Well you should also carry Bearspray for closer encounters, whistle and a horn. If you have more bearbangers on you you could fire another one in front of the bear. Generally though the first bearbanger fired will scare the bear away.
Bearbanger guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:18 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Anon E. Moose

BBG,
If indeed you are a Conservation Officer, I welcome you and any of your insight you may have to offer. Welcome!

Please do not limit yourself to bear bangers. If you have other expertise and thoughts, please share if you can.
The expertise come from a 8 month study written into a report on the effectivness of the bearbangers and the public's knowledge about the product. Some of my conclusions were that 30% of the people in the field were not aware that there are 2 kinds of bearbangers (centerfire and rimfire) which only work with the formentioned launcher(s). Centerfire bearbangers with a centerfire launcher and rimfire bangers with rimfire launchers. Seventy percent of the outdoor stores in Canada carry center, but you should tell the retailer which launcher you have to ensure that your bearbanger works. And thank you for the welcome, just trying to be helpful.
Bearbanger guy is offline  
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:19 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Here, , Canada.
Posts: 4,675
Default

So what's the big frigin deal? It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to use a bear banger. Expert on bear bangers? What's next, an expert on how to tie boot laces?...wait a second, boot laces are probably more complicated.

CMS sells also Truflare bangers and pen launchers for pretty much the same price as everyone else.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Hiker Boy is offline  
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:33 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

So what's the big frigin deal? It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to use a bear banger. Expert on bear bangers? What's next, an expert on how to tie boot laces?...wait a second, boot laces are probably more complicated.

CMS sells also Truflare bangers and pen launchers for pretty much the same price as everyone else.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
You would be utterly amazed how many people I have run into that are confused about the difference between bangers and flares in the kits. Quite a few people have told me that a flare is the banger and vice versa. Do you know the difference between centerfire and rim fire genius? So Mr genius are u aware that CMS is selling rimfire which is not compatiable with center fire sold at MEC! New news to you eh. Are u also aware genius that at CMS there is a major problem with the products that involves "no warranty" because CMS is selling different namebrand launchers which voids any warranty on the bangers or flares. Just abit of information for you poo distriber as it say's in your profile.
Bearbanger guy is offline  
post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:43 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Here, , Canada.
Posts: 4,675
Default

As a matter of fact I do. Buy a launcher and use the matching bangers...once again, another no brainer. Just read the packaging.

You really are going to have to come up with a better game than this. CT might be a little too advanced for you.



----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Hiker Boy is offline  
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:44 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

As a matter of fact I do...once again, another no brainer.

You really are going to have to come up with a better game than this. CT might be a little too advanced for you.



----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
CT?
Bearbanger guy is offline  
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:48 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Here, , Canada.
Posts: 4,675
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bearbanger guy
[CT?
Read the banner at the top of the page Einstein.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Hiker Boy is offline  
post #25 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:50 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bearbanger guy
[CT?
Read the banner at the top of the page Einstein.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Man your a real loser! Maybe you should re read the post about warranty pal. If you have nothing good say then keep your smart butt comments to your self instead of stirring up trouble. D.H.
Bearbanger guy is offline  
post #26 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:58 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Here, , Canada.
Posts: 4,675
Default

First of all "I'm not your pal"

Secondly, Where warranties are concerned....Just to clue you in, CMS doesn't have the best rep here ok? Most of us shop at CMS for the convenience and the occassional sale, not for the stirling customer service they offer.

Thirdly, I couldn't give a damn if my launcher and my flares are made by two different companies, just as long as they work together...and whadaya ya know....they do!!!!!!

There have been many talks about bear bangers here in the past and Hiking Nut is definitely our resident expert. In the past, people here have gone out and practiced firing their bangers on Halloween night so as to not desturb their neighbors. Plenty have been fired off in the bush for practice on group trips as well. Anyone looking for a demo, basically just has to ask as there are enough of us carrying them. We hardly need a one trick pony who's main claim to fame so far is being a bear banger savant.

Selfpromoters are not welcome on CT...

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Hiker Boy is offline  
post #27 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 04:48 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 398
Default

BBG,
Sadly, there are some belligerent "old-timers" here who have trouble accepting newcomers. Do NOT let them bully you!

IMO, it's absurd to compare the operation of bear bangers and flares to the skill of tying laces. I would not be surprised to learn that a significant number of untrained owners freeze, fumble, or fail to properly deploy their device when encountering a bear. This takes training and practice to avoid shooting yourself or missing wildly especially if panic sets in, IMO.

Ursus International Conservation Institute says:
1. These are dangerous devices in the hands of the untrained.
2. If your shell lands behind the bear, it will drive it to you.
3. You have to practice beforehand and learn projectile trajectory.
4. Do not fire directly at the bear; aim in front and to one side.


"The banger launcher should only be carried and used by people confident that they understand its capabilities and limitations. It should be used to scare off a threatening bear, and it is also suitable to be used with other threatening wildlife. However, it is of paramount importance to bear in mind that to drive an animal off, a banger device should be fired in front of an animal, i.e. between it an a hiker, and that misjudgment, resulting in the banger landing behind the animal, will drive it towards the firer! Any user, therefore, should know how to control the range of the bangers. This is achieved through recognising that holding the launcher at a 45 degree angle gives maximum trajectory, or range, and that steeper or lesser angles reduce range. By firing at a steeper angle, the banger will effectively be ‘lobbed' up, coming down closer to the firer than it would if fired at 45 degrees. Similarly, if fired at a lesser angle, the banger will hit the ground closer to the firer than if fired at 45 degrees. The risk in this is that hitting the ground could possibly cause the banger to break up and not explode, whereas ‘lobbed', it will either go off in the air or after hitting the ground at falling, rather than propelled, speed.

The best advice is to test the launcher before use, even if doing so uses several cartridges. A user must understand the importance of preventing a banger from going off behind a bear, as that will push it towards the firer. In addition bangers should not be fired directly at bears (or other animals), because of their potential to cause injury; ideally, they should be placed in front of and slightly to the side of the animal."
http://www.ursusinternational.org/page1023324435.mv

It is ludicrous to compare the skill of operation of these devices to that of tying laces. If you were a sales person offering this advice to a customer, you would be grossly negligent, IMO. The safe transport and operation of these devices should be similar to that of a firearm, IMO.


Anon E. Moose is offline  
post #28 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 04:54 AM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Here, , Canada.
Posts: 4,675
Default

Anon, given that you have demonstrated nothing better than the art of how to cut and paste, I take it all back...you could probably benefit from a three year program in bear bangers.

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
Hiker Boy is offline  
post #29 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:51 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hiker Boy

First of all "I'm not your pal"

Secondly, Where warranties are concerned....Just to clue you in, CMS doesn't have the best rep here ok? Most of us shop at CMS for the convenience and the occassional sale, not for the stirling customer service they offer.

Thirdly, I couldn't give a damn if my launcher and my flares are made by two different companies, just as long as they work together...and whadaya ya know....they do!!!!!!

There have been many talks about bear bangers here in the past and Hiking Nut is definitely our resident expert. In the past, people here have gone out and practiced firing their bangers on Halloween night so as to not desturb their neighbors. Plenty have been fired off in the bush for practice on group trips as well. Anyone looking for a demo, basically just has to ask as there are enough of us carrying them. We hardly need a one trick pony who's main claim to fame so far is being a bear banger savant.

Selfpromoters are not welcome on CT..

----------------------------------------
"My favorite recreational drug is Ibuprofen"
I'm not playing games with you no more, your just a poo distriber! If you would like information on wilderness and conservation then just read, there is no need for smart comments. I am new to this and didn't mean to come over as promoting a product just have alot of experience with it and have heard alot of confussion about this in the field. If you were a real hiker you wouldn't be a smart azz and put up a real profile for your self J.O.
Bearbanger guy is offline  
post #30 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 01:55 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Anon E. Moose

BBG,
Sadly, there are some belligerent "old-timers" here who have trouble accepting newcomers. Do NOT let them bully you!

IMO, it's absurd to compare the operation of bear bangers and flares to the skill of tying laces. I would not be surprised to learn that a significant number of untrained owners freeze, fumble, or fail to properly deploy their device when encountering a bear. This takes training and practice to avoid shooting yourself or missing wildly especially if panic sets in, IMO.

Ursus International Conservation Institute says:
1. These are dangerous devices in the hands of the untrained.
2. If your shell lands behind the bear, it will drive it to you.
3. You have to practice beforehand and learn projectile trajectory.
4. Do not fire directly at the bear; aim in front and to one side.


"The banger launcher should only be carried and used by people confident that they understand its capabilities and limitations. It should be used to scare off a threatening bear, and it is also suitable to be used with other threatening wildlife. However, it is of paramount importance to bear in mind that to drive an animal off, a banger device should be fired in front of an animal, i.e. between it an a hiker, and that misjudgment, resulting in the banger landing behind the animal, will drive it towards the firer! Any user, therefore, should know how to control the range of the bangers. This is achieved through recognising that holding the launcher at a 45 degree angle gives maximum trajectory, or range, and that steeper or lesser angles reduce range. By firing at a steeper angle, the banger will effectively be ‘lobbed' up, coming down closer to the firer than it would if fired at 45 degrees. Similarly, if fired at a lesser angle, the banger will hit the ground closer to the firer than if fired at 45 degrees. The risk in this is that hitting the ground could possibly cause the banger to break up and not explode, whereas ‘lobbed', it will either go off in the air or after hitting the ground at falling, rather than propelled, speed.

The best advice is to test the launcher before use, even if doing so uses several cartridges. A user must understand the importance of preventing a banger from going off behind a bear, as that will push it towards the firer. In addition bangers should not be fired directly at bears (or other animals), because of their potential to cause injury; ideally, they should be placed in front of and slightly to the side of the animal."
http://www.ursusinternational.org/page1023324435.mv

It is ludicrous to compare the skill of operation of these devices to that of tying laces. If you were a sales person offering this advice to a customer, you would be grossly negligent, IMO. The safe transport and operation of these devices should be similar to that of a firearm, IMO.


Finally some intelligent feedback for this forum! Thanks you. Will keep you posted when I'm in the field on any problems, confussion or anything related to bearbangers, bearspray etc. Keep you posted. Great piece of infromation, you are an intelligent individual with a respectful nature unlike HIKERBABY!(aka Hikerboy)
Bearbanger guy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1