survival kit - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Some interests: working out, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, cycling, motorcycling, gardening, classical music, opera, ballet, travel, esp. cruise travel, good books, wine, and food...

Speakin' of fire starters... at the cashier at Petrocan I noticed this Scripto lighter with a blindingly bright built-in LED - what a neat combo. Ya gotta get one...

I am so with you guys on the trowel/TP thing. I was going to say something about dogs, but I know a lot CT-ers hike with their puppies so I'll just leave it alone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Scorpio

I was going to say something about dogs, but I know a lot CT-ers hike with their puppies so I'll just leave it alone...
Why??? Go ahead, say it (or maybe start a new thread about it)... Don't be scared...

C'Jack...
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

slightly off topic, but a trowel isn't always nescesary. a stick, rock, or even your boot can be used to dig a big enough hole. TP....leaves work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You can dig around the Equipped To Survive site for a lot of ideas and opinions.

http://www.equipped.org/

One thing to rember is that you may get separated from your pack so you should try and carry a few items on you at all times such as a whistle and fire starter.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackRat

One thing to rember is that you may get separated from your pack so you should try and carry a few items on you at all times such as a whistle and fire starter.
I'm curious... this has been mentioned a few times... when is this more an issue? is it more for the huge overnight backpacking type? The one I've got for the all day hiking is just a 30L and it practically never gets separated from me.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

There's always the possibility of getting separated from one's pack, usually by accident so as I see it, having a few "items" on your person at all times can't hurt.
At the very least, a knife and some sort of firestarter - and a powerbar in your pocket won't take up too much room!
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Camping, Kayaking, Photography

Quote:
quote:I'm curious... this has been mentioned a few times... when is this more an issue? is it more for the huge overnight backpacking type? The one I've got for the all day hiking is just a 30L and it practically never gets separated from me.
But it easily could by;
-falling into a fast flowing river
-tumbling down a hill
-(rightfully or not) throwing it to distract a bear

...and I'm sure many other possible events.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page