Raichle Kootenay 5 (MEC) x Lowa Banff - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Default Raichle Kootenay 5 (MEC) x Lowa Banff

Hi hikers,

I've been trying to decide on a pair of new boots, and my choice is narrowing down to the boots stated above. They both feel great, but the price difference is of about $100. Apparently, they have the same level of construction and materials.

So, what's the catch with the Raichle, to be so much cheaper? Will it disintegrate after some use?My main concern is getting a pair of boots that is VERY confortable and will last very long.

Any comments from people who owns (or know someone who does) any of these boots would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Thiago

P.S. - I've also checked some Meindl boots, but the people at A.J. didn't even let me try the Engadin, saying it wouldn't fit me. As I'm pretty much set on the leather lining, I guess I shouldn't bother with a boot that will no fit me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Hey, I know this is an OLD post and you probably already bought a pair, but, I have a pair of Raichle day hikers that I've used for 10 years. I took em out a few year years back and did about 1000 kms of hard backcountry use. Hard on the feet because they were day boots, but MAN! SO Comfortable! They are the only boots that I never had to 'break in' and felt like they were part of my feet. I've tried other brands, but am looking at a new pair of Raichles for this year. Let me know if you bought a pair and how you like them/

Cheers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Woodworking, Hiking, Backpacking, canoe tripping, motorcycle touring, fishing, etc. ...etc. living life outdoors is what it\'s all about!
Send a message via MSN to Dusty Boots Send a message via Yahoo to Dusty Boots

Hmmm .... missed this post last year as I was making my way back from Ontario, but here is my take on the Kootenays.

I can't speak about the Kootnenay 5 but I have had a pair of the Kootenay 2 for quite a few seasons(6-7 ?) and have been quite satisfied with them. As a matter of fact, they came on sale a year or so after I bought mine(replaced with the Kootenay 3)and I picked up another pair(still unused) because they fit me very well and were/are a good boot.
Early last year, I was experiencing a leak around the toebox area but solved that with some McNett Freesole applied around the 'welt' area of the boot. I expect another couple of seasons out of the original pair before I start breaking in the 2nd pair.

Overall, a good quality boot for a reasonable price. [^]

I did own a pair of Lowa 'trail runners'(forget the model) and while they were an 'OK' shoe, I thought that the material on the inside area of the 'heel cup' wore out prematurely, along with some of the stitching coming undone. Tread/sole wore a little faster than others, as well. I don't know how they would compare to their boots though.

Dusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:16 PM

I was away in India when you first posted. Hopefully my experiences are still helpful in your search. I bought a pair of Raichle Kootenays as my first hiking boots when I was 12. Miraculously, they managed to hold on until last summer when I decided it was time for new boots. (Frankly, I'm surprised they fit me from the ages of 12-23!) Ultimately, the leather began to crack across the sides of the boot but what really did them in was that the soles were beginning to separate from the rest of the boot. After a long talk with my cobbler, he recommended replacing the boots, given the condition of the leather. I replaced them before Christmas with a pair of the new Kootenay 5's. I wore them up at school for a few days to break them in and other than a couple initial painful days on the trail, they have felt great!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page