Another tent question (Asolo Tents) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Default Another tent question (Asolo Tents)

Hi sorry to clog this message board with another tent question. I am just wondering if anyone had any experiences with Asolo tents in general? I currently have my eye on Asolo Harrier 3, but I can't seem to find any information on it (or Asolo tents for that matter) on any review boards on the internet. Basically I am worried about the condensation issues and waterproofness. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Snowboarding = Getting Paid to Play. Skateboarding, Wakeboarding, Windsurfing, Kayaking, Sleeping at 6000ft.

Asolo tents?? In Canada?? You could try there Eurpoean division. Tent could be an discontinued item.

Try This.
http://www.infinity-outdoor.com/asolo_tents.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Snowboarding = Getting Paid to Play. Skateboarding, Wakeboarding, Windsurfing, Kayaking, Sleeping at 6000ft.

Wow what do I know? Not only in Canada but a lot of dealers in BC.[:O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Skate, ya the tent is a probably a discontinued item but I still liked the design of the tent (doesn't hurt that it is relatively cheap too, another tent I looked at was hammerhead 3 from mountain hardware and that is like twice the price). I am just a bit worried about the qualities of the tent because I really don't want to fall apart on me on the trail...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Off the Beaten Path

My old tent is an asolo. It's lighter than most affordable backpacking tents I've looked at, but it's big (dome tent, can sleep 2 with a lot of gear, or 3 with little gear), so it was made more for car camping. I think I paid $115 for it (on sale, new at CMS), as it was meant to be a temp tent used mainly for car camping, but I was amazed by how well this thing has held up. It doesn't sweat at all, it held up in a pretty vicious wind/rain/thunder storm (2 other tents broke), the waterproofness is fantastic (a couple times I woke up in a huge puddle, and stayed mostly dry inside), though it could benefit from a footprint.

Unfortunately, I had the same problem as you, where I couldn't find a damn thing of it online!

All in all, I'm damn impressed with this big ugly cheap tent. If the price is right and it fits your needs, I say go for it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info spirit! I think I'll probably end up getting this tent. I am a bit hesitant on getting the more expensive ones because I don't have a very good track records of maintaining my gears, so at least this way it won't hurt as much...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:19 AM

Here's a little info about Asolo stuff that you might want to consider. Asolo is an old Italian company that makes very good boots. Recently a Canadian (a Vancouverite if I remember correctly) got the rights to use the Asolo logo on a line of camping and hiking gear. The gear is made in Asia, much like most of the stuff that is in the hiking stores these days. So far as I know, the Italian company has nothing to do with these products at all.

I'm just telling you this so that you don't end up thinking of this stuff as if it has a long history of quality behind it.

For more info: http://www.infinity-outdoor.com/contact-us.html

----------------------------------------
I love the Rockies
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Thanks for the info spirit! I think I'll probably end up getting this tent. I am a bit hesitant on getting the more expensive ones because I don't have a very good track records of maintaining my gears, so at least this way it won't hurt as much...

I find buying a tent that is cheaper is the best way to go so that when the fire is to close and the door melts or the zippers jam with debris or you somehow rip the daylights out of it, you don't feel half as bad as you would if you had bought top of the line. I also noticed that some of the tents MEC sells are on the floors of other camp stores with different names and manf. and prices. There are no patents on any of my tents nor copyrights on the tent anywhere as it would be too prohibitive to pay for these definite benefits. And according to mr Fibonacci change is cyclical and constant.So are tents.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, snowshoeing, cooking, eating ;-)

I believe its the same company that makes the Outbound brand.

http://www.outbound.ca/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 07:34 PM

I bought an Asolo tent (the Talon 3 model) this year and am pretty satisfied with it. I took it on 1 canoe-camping and 3 hiking trips.
I haven't been very lucky with weather this year and got rain on every single one of my trips (which on the other hand, gave me the opportunity to test the tent properly).
It has been through 2 straight nights of heavy rain and wind. Absoluetly no water got in and the wind didn't damage it in any way.
It's unexpensive, lightweight and easy to "put together". It also offers great space for both people and gear.
The only thing I noticed is that there is almost always some condensation on the floor. But if you have good matresses, it shouldn't be a problem, as none of my stuff got seriously wet.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the info. Sorry to hear about your luck with the weather, but chances are I'll have the same luck as you (come to think of it, all my overnight trips happens to rain..). Hmmm, I wonder if a footprint would help with the condensations.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Scaling New Heights

Send a message via MSN to hobo_hiker

Me and my gf have an Asolo Raptor 2 tent, its pretty good. definetely no condensation issues. pretty big vestibule, and generally a roomy tent for something thats under 6 lbs. i think my SD is a touch better made but the asolo is very decent.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks hobo, ya I just got the Asolo harrier 3. Overall it seems like a pretty decent tent, although the worksmanship could be a tad better, oh well. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test the tent out soon (very tempted to test it out in a bad weather ).
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 PM

I have a brand new Asolo Hawk2 Tent. I set it up the other day; came right from the box! After 3 days I checked the tent. It was dry inside; but one of the tent poles had broken! The aluminum appeared brittle and it just plain broke. I have to say that I am not that impressed. Where can I get new tent poles within the next 2 days??

----------------------------------------
The sun on your face, the wind blowing in your hair.....Freedom!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Hi Carl, you can try contacting infinity sports, they are the ones that makes the tent. They should have some of the parts on stocks and they are only in langley, hopefully they'll be nice enough to replace it as is without making a lot of fuss. Here is their website and address.

http://www.infinity-outdoor.com/contact-us.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page