Tents, which one? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Tents, which one?

I hope I'm in the right forum. I have always had bad luck with tents, trying to get some info on something that might perhaps fit the realm of:

3 or 4 person tent -But for one [Gear / Time out in the bush]
3 Season tent -Backpacking long trips.
At least 3000mm, preferably more (Now that's always been the weak point in past tent buys)!

Like some height whenever possible -Long days out & bad weather.

I'm not too concerned about price, but I want to stay dry; probably around $250US though. As it's been sometime since buying a tent, I'm sure things have improved in the last 18 years?

Ok, I got a little crazy http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Saw this, dang -it seems everything is made in China: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=GGwpjbTFJZfpJ61W8LD2 sq3jJvZvbX2gsLrfG0ZLmpKVTGz1jvxy!-1327878667?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442376453&FOL DER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302702837&bmUID=11496448 41359

A little short @ 2000mm?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, mountaineering, snowshoeing, snowboarding, AT skiing

Although a 2man, the MSR Hubba Hubba should offer plenty of space for just you and your gear based on it's innovative design. This tent has had mainly good reviews. If you want to scale up, check out the 3 man Mutha Hubba.

----------------------------------------
"The ascent is optional; the descent is mandatory"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?cid=377&pid=12143

1500mm; It was hard to find the waterprofing on this, looks great in every respect except staying dry? Just asking. Was really looking for something 3000mm or +. A little high priced it seems for a 1500mm, or did I miss something?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Not sure about mm ratings, but I slept over 30 nights in a hubba hubba last summer and many of them in some horrible rain with water rushing against the floor. Never got wet.

Based on terrific experience with other MSR tents (MicroZoid, Hubba Hubba and Fury) I now own a Mutha Hubba and won't worry one second about getting wet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 11:02 PM

I just spent my first 8 nights (and 1 almost complete day) in my new MSR Hubba Hubba. I'm not a reviewer, nor a basher. I both liked and disliked the tent for the following reasons.
1)because it's a fly-over-screen design, it will get water inside while erecting.(sponge)
2)needs to be tied down in wind, guys/pegs alone don't seem to cut it, plus it never felt tight enough (kind of saggy vestibles).
3)needs a footprint (floor is thin)
4)very light
5)unique, one piece pole design.
6)awesome ventilation
7)goes up very quickly.
8)dual use as a fly cover w/poles, or as a sleep-under-the-stars with just the screen, or as the full tent.
Stood up to some heavy rainfall pretty well. I would definately consider buying another one, for what it's worth.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Argus

1)because it's a fly-over-screen design, it will get water inside while erecting.(sponge)
Try this. Put the pole together and then erect the fly to create a shelter. Go under with the tent body and clip the tent to the frame and then put the pole grommets under the fly grommets. Keeps the body of the tent dry. Done it many times and it works well.

Quote:

2)needs to be tied down in wind, guys/pegs alone don't seem to cut it, plus it never felt tight enough (kind of saggy vestibles).
Yes, the Hubba Hubba will catch the wind and MUST be tied down. I use two Eaton pegs with the little hole in the top so that the guys can't jump off the pegs.

Quote:

3)needs a footprint (floor is thin)
I haven't found that the MSR floors wear without the footprint. Compared to the SL-series Big Agnes floors, these are concrete! I've used the H2 on some pretty sharp alpine rock and no damage. Surprisingly durable.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, fishing, archery
Send a message via MSN to bagheera

Welcome to Club Tread KiwiMan50.

I'm no tent expert, but since you are in the States I would check out REI. They have quite a number of tents from different companies and excellent descriptions and specs on them. You should be able to find what you are looking for there. You could also check out MEC here in Canada. Not sure what shipping would be but it is worth a look. Both stores offer their own of tents as well.

Good luck in your tent hunting

Opps, sorry I see you have already been to MEC.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

Remember the higher the mm rating does not make a better fly. The more coats of polyurathne used the stiffer the nylon gets aswell as loosing tensile strength. This is why most common fly coatings among major tent manufactures is between 1500mm and 2000mm it is the best balance of waterproof to strength lost. one benifit MSR has going for it's ultralights is they are already using a silicone coated nylon which increases it's stregnth and water resistancy.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome

Ok, I had to do some quick shopping for a tent, worthwhile because I got to see some pitched, unfortunatly they where all low end. ~But it helped a lot for sizing and noticed the variable 'Strength' -Weather/wind and that helped for deciding on type. I will get a very good 3 man, long hikes in the bush and I'll need the space, leg room and of course the pricy light weight . I did buy a $100 Coleman 5 man tent for 'Company' and a weekend at the lake. Nothing grand, but won't plan on keeping it any way and no chance of rain.

BTW, why don't manafactures list the water proof quality? The Coleman actually did and is rated a low 800mm. So I'm going to hose it down after the weekend and see, put a bucket of water in it and see how the condensation does.

I understand the mm factor will increase the density of the tent, perhaps I was a wee bit overzealous with a 3000mm rating, though that rating goes beyond 10,000mm.

Mutha Hubba looks pretty nice, I'll need to see if I can see one pitched and ready. This is sorta like buying a car sight unseen If I'm going to spend $370+ I would like to see it pitched first.

I'm also looking at a new Backback, though OT and just a note:
Gregory "Whitney" or/ Osprey "Crescent 110" Yes, I'm pretty much starting over and also a decent sleeping bag MontBell "U.L. Alpine Down Hugger #5" ~Though that's still on the long list right now, for checking that item out.

[Edit] Spelling vaiable, sounds like a Wabbit.

Cheers
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backpacking, scrambling, skiing, mountain biking, skim boarding, running

4-season tent with 10,000 mm floor, 1500mm fly for a couple tall people: fury tent

----------------------------------------
"Aging ... it beats the alternative"
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking of course, camping, socializing the normal stuff in life.
Send a message via MSN to Lorgon

Here is a good website for viewing pictures of many tents. It shows different views of the tents like somebody sitting, kneeling in a tent. Tents with thermarests and sleeping bags inside. With fly and with out fly, features of the tents like pockets and vent shafts. I was looking for a tent for a long time and this website help out alot in decision making. I ended up buying a 2 man Sierra ClipFlashlight trail weight 3lbs 11oz. I am happy with it. Hope this helps a little.

http://moontrail.com/tents/3-season.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page