Heel lift on MSR snowshoes- yay or nay? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

The heel lift is great, but at the same time, it makes the shoe a bit more prone to twisting to the left or right when stepping up in heavier powder or uneven snow. The heel lift works best on a firm snowpack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Thanks for the responses
I've been thinking about buying a new pair of snowshoes (any excuse for new gear ).
I don't see how one piece of metal would make that much of a difference in weight, so for me I guess it'll be nice to have the heel lift, rather than buy a pair without and wish I had it.

----------------------------------------
Rumour has it I dont like apostrophes, got nuthin against them, its just wot someone said.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

bump
I'm finally gonna get myself some snowshoes, now that places are clearing them out, and I'm having the same problem of chooseing weather or not to get the heel lifts. right now @ REI, I can get the denali classics for $75 (US) and the evo ascents for $150. After conversion and taxes, the denali evo ascents are $90 CDN more than the classics. I cant choose if I need the lifts or not. suggestions? and what is the difference between the ones that say "evo" and the other ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bushwackin\',Backpackin\',Kayakin\', Throwin\' myslelf off mountains on 2 wheels, dragin my unsuspecting friends on \"short hikes\", and high altitude Whine & Cheese\':))

The Evo's have a narrower tapered footprint than the classics. I have the Denali ascents, and the Evo's. I don't have a problem with the denali's being too wide, but if you have a narrow stance it might be worth it. The difference between the ascents and classics, shouldn't be more than $50 CDN.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Summit Master

I have the Lightning Ascents and I like the heel lifts when I'm going up a steep hill. I use them because I've got them and they do help. But, I'd probably do just as well without for the kind of stuff I do, ie I haven't really been climbing any long, sustained, overly steep hills.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

Heel lifts, pay the extra. If you will be snowshoeing in the mountains they are and asset. If you do not have them you will not miss them. If ya gotem yull likem.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Absolutely HUGE difference... I just tried snowshoeing a couple weeks ago for the first time, and was going up a steep slope, when I setup the heel lift, it took that angle away and made it 70% better for me going uphill I felt. BUT a pain to switch back and forth from level to non-level areas.

post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

I have the Lightning Ascents and I like the heel lifts when I'm going up a steep hill. I use them because I've got them and they do help. But, I'd probably do just as well without for the kind of stuff I do, ie I haven't really been climbing any long, sustained, overly steep hills.
Quite true I also have the accents and the lift is great, but if you are not going up exccessive hills then the heel lifts are just an added bonus for when you do get a steep part.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

I went with the denali classic's, mostly because I'm cheap, and I could get the shoes and tails for ~$115 CAD. thanks for all the advice.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: wood working , Photography, model ship building, backpacking, elecrtonics

It seems all I do is up hill but I don't have a heel lift. I'd like to get one retro fitted or maybe make one. How much does the heel lift raise your foot off the snowshoe? Does it ride on the frame of the snowshoe or sit on the decking at the heel? Can I see a pic of one?

post #26 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Summit Master

I believe that if you go the www.rei.com and find their lightning snowshoes, there is a video that includes a clip about the heel lifts
post #27 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, scrambling, biking, running, swimming, snowshoeing, snowboarding, x-country & backcountry skiing,

good choice Farmer. you saved 100$ nice! i have the Evo Ascents and i use the heel lifts very rarely in our local mountains. they are brutal for going downhill.... so i never use them unless going up a LONG steep slope.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: wood working , Photography, model ship building, backpacking, elecrtonics

That's it? That little wire bail is the heel lift? I can make something a bit better than that for my Tubbs.

Our downhills go up here in the NE.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page